(02-09-2019, 02:05 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Yeah, it does look like they re-poured the approach between the crossing and the start of the trestle there, doesn't it?  Maybe they're finally smoothing out the grade on the Hill of Shame to prevent all the operators from having to floor it through the crossing.

Lol the hill of shame. Thats my new name for it now. My wife and I this year watched an operator and than a manager fail getting the train up the hill. Maybe they are leveling it out.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
Do they always take the swings and the the top part off each year?
(02-09-2019, 11:29 AM)DeLorean Wrote: Do they always take the swings and the the top part off each year?

Yep.  Most rides are dismantled to various degrees during the winter.  Critical structural parts are inspected, mechanisms (wheels, safety restraints, etc.) are refurbished & rebuilt (along with inspection), and other non-structural parts of the rides that don't need inspection or refurb (fiberglass trim, etc.) and that don't weather well are put into winter storage (often in terraces & pavilions) to keep them out of the weather.  Some parts of some rides that are too difficult to move are winterized in place (e.g. bagged to keep water out, etc.)

Most people would be surprised to hear that for Maintenance, winter is the busy season.  It was always nice to get back to summer season where all you had to do was inspect rides and make the occasional repairs.
(02-09-2019, 12:10 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Yep.  Most rides are dismantled to various degrees during the winter.  Critical structural parts are inspected, mechanisms (wheels, safety restraints, etc.) are refurbished & rebuilt (along with inspection), and other non-structural parts of the rides that don't need inspection or refurb (fiberglass trim, etc.) and that don't weather well are put into winter storage (often in terraces & pavilions) to keep them out of the weather.  Some parts of some rides that are too difficult to move are winterized in place (e.g. bagged to keep water out, etc.)

Most people would be surprised to hear that for Maintenance, winter is the busy season.  It was always nice to get back to summer season where all you had to do was inspect rides and make the occasional repairs.
I am sure they are still going to be busy now with the new ride being built
Possible construction in the area of Scaliwags. Thanks DeLorean!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=879]

Banana
(02-20-2019, 06:12 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Possible construction in the area of Scaliwags. Thanks DeLorean!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=879]
Just the Roadbed/ROW reconstruction for WK Train. I'm sure Josh, Will, and I only dreamed of having that grade up to the trestle negated.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(02-20-2019, 11:50 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Just the Roadbed/ROW reconstruction for WK Train. I'm sure Josh, Will, and I only dreamed of having that grade up to the trestle negated.

It does feel a bit like cheating.  Even still, I never had that much trouble with that section... you just have to run it like a train, not a car.  If you wait to apply power 'til you start slowing down, you're going to lose every time.  And there's no need to huck it over the hump, either.

Of course, it might just be that the locos liked me better. Tongue
(02-21-2019, 12:30 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: It does feel a bit like cheating.  Even still, I never had that much trouble with that section... you just have to run it like a train, not a car.  If you wait to apply power 'til you start slowing down, you're going to lose every time.  And there's no need to huck it over the hump, either.

Of course, it might just be that the locos liked me better.
I never had a problem, except when Houston's throttle wouldn't work right and/or there was oil/grease on the track. BTW, do you remember off the top of your head your oil and grease times and the years you worked WK?

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(02-21-2019, 01:15 AM)linearinduction Wrote: I never had a problem, except when Houston's throttle wouldn't work right and/or there was oil/grease on the track. BTW, do you remember off the top of your head your oil and grease times and the years you worked WK?

Well you take the grease over to jettster you rub it on the track and then you take the oil and you throw it in the lake and you have to do that every 2 to 4 hours Tongue
Tuck, Roll, and Aim for the grass!
(02-21-2019, 01:15 AM)linearinduction Wrote: I never had a problem, except when Houston's throttle wouldn't work right and/or there was oil/grease on the track. BTW, do you remember off the top of your head your oil and grease times and the years you worked WK?

I'm lucky I remember my name most days lately, LOL!  I think it was something like zerks & eccentric bearings every couple of hours, oil holes every hour, something like that.  To be honest, that'd be the only thing I'd have to re-learn; otherwise, I could walk in there now & fire her up cold off the street.  Always loved that time of the morning...  poor campers.

And of course, always be sure to lubricate the set screws; nobody wanted to see Homer struggling to loosen them at the end of the season.