Sid Goes to Knott's Scary Farm
So, let me begin this thread by describing how this all happened.

13 months ago my sister, her best friend, and I bought a small luncheonette business in SLC. We decided that we would save all of our tips to take Emerson, my sister's best friend's then 4 year old son, to Disneyland. His favorite time of year is Halloween and Christmas, so we decided to do that. We tried to get tickets to Mickey's Halloween Party back in July, only to find out the time we would want to go was sold out. With the park closing early tonight for that sold out event, we thought about what changes we should make to our plans. We decided it would be better to get a now 5 year old some rest for a loooong day at Disneyland tomorrow, and for the 3 of us adults, plus a friend, go to Knott's Scary Farm, AKA Haunt.

Haunt is the event that started it all (in the Amusement and Theme Park industry with Haunt events) and leading to Six Flags' Fright Fest, Lagoon's FRIGHTMARES!, Cedar Fair's Halloweekends, and now many others. My first experience with Knott's Haunt actually goes back to my time working at Cedar Point in 2001. For the 5th annual Halloweekends at Cedar Point, Cedar Fair brought in "some people from Knott's" to step up their haunt game for the anniversary. I was fortunate enough to help with putting a few of Cedar Point's Halloweekends houses together and talk with some of those people from Haunt at Knott's, and see how they did some things.

What I can tell you right now is that I was totally blown away by haunt, and hurt by rides.

TBC

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Sounds fun. Will there be photos?
(10-27-2018, 08:31 AM)Brăden Wrote: Sounds fun. Will there be photos?
Some, but was too darn busy running around trying to get on most things. Wink

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Part 1 -

When we decided to do Haunt, we knew the only way we were going to get most houses and rides done, was to spend the money for the Frightlane and Fastlane Passes. At $135 each for Admission, Frightlane, and Fastlane.....it proved to be much more valuable than that. We arrived at the park before 9pm, parked, got in and was on HangTime in 25 minutes from the time we parked.

HangTime (#98), what do I have to say about HangTime? A lot. This was my first Gerstlauer Coaster, and thus, my First Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster. The ride's lighting package from KCL Engineering is absolutely spectacular! That is about the only thing that was spectacular. There were 2 out of the 3 Trains running, operations were lack luster, and there was a fault that shut down the ride for 5 minutes. After that, it was our turn to ride, in the back row. The ride features a lapbar and "safety belt." The seats on HangTime we're bucket seats, in that your feet dangled. The lapbars were fairly comfortable, as were the seats, but no where near the same comfort level of Cannibal. The vertical lift was actually fairly uncomfortable to me, and the slanted pre drop kinda disappointing. Once released from the angled pre drop, in the back row, you are violently yanked down the 96 degree beyond vertical drop! It was insane and launched you out of your seat, but you had no time to enjoy the drop. The first element, a negative-g stall loop was quite fun and disorienting, and the infamous corkscrew was next......

[Image: ae7c0f06e5f887c44037d3d0fe136937.jpg][Image: a8974f57d645f87b174ff96adeb2e0a7.jpg][Image: 5384b7cb71f06ddace92741af615e91d.jpg][Image: 77bb5a4438cd16ae2baf89490c63703b.jpg][Image: 7d69bcee8d377d4465c5e3f45e728b26.jpg][Image: 2832dc4c12894616688a66610ffab9ac.jpg][Image: 9cac9a984adc392d84942626d4247e72.jpg]
Part 2 - HangTime's Revenge

To fully explain what happened in the corkscrew, I'll have to back up to when boarding HangTime. HangTime's seats are more like bucket seats, and leave your legs dangling and there is no shin bar/guard that people complain about on Wicked and Cannibal. If you've ever paid attention to Fire Dragon's lapbars, you will notice that they also have shin bars/ankle bars.

To anyone who complains about Wicked's or Cannibal's shin/ankle guards, take a ride on HangTime and get punched in the nuts in the Corkscrew like what happened to me! That's right! The corkscrew on HangTime conspired with the poor seat and lapbar design and lack of ankle/shin guards to punch me in the balls... not just in the Corkscrew, but in the Cobra Roll as well!

Everything was going fine until we inverted in the Corkscrew. With my feet dangling and no shin/ankle bar, the g forces, center bar, and seat crotch bump conspired to punch me in the balls. The half loop was hard to enjoy, as was the double down into the Cobra Roll. The airtime on the double down was slightly more violent than Cannibal's out of the Diving Loop, but hard to enjoy because of the pain. As soon as we inverted in the Cobra Roll, I got punched in the balls again, and we entered the Brake Run, which was quite painful considering the abuse I just experienced.

While there are some comparisons to Cannibal, they are very different rides. Cannibal feels like a well engineered and polished design, and HangTime felt it was lacking that. It seemed more like a ride made of different elements put together without the thought of the rider experience and finished product. While Cannibal maintains it's speed, HangTime's speed into the Brakes feels like wasted momentum. The braking is also very hard, especially considering they are magnetic. I thought Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, and Xcelerator were pretty harsh.

The capacity on HangTime could have been much improved by a dual loading station. There is a Holding/Waiting Zone before the Station Platform, which is wasted. In front of the Station Platform is the area where the Chain Dog couples to the back of the train, much like Fire Dragon. By moving the HangTime Gift Shop south a bit, it would have permitted a longer Brake Run, Transfer/Holding, Dual Loading Station (Load 1/Load 2), Automatic Dispatch/Holding, and Chain Coupling Blocks. This could have permitted 4 Train Operations.

The best things HangTime has to offer is the speed at which the train moves off the angled pre drop and the air time on the double down. Again, everything about Cannibal is better IMO.

Next, Part 3 - Look! A MACK Wild Mouse Credit!

(11-01-2018, 09:37 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Part 2 - HangTime's Revenge

To fully explain what happened in the corkscrew, I'll have to back up to when boarding HangTime. HangTime's seats are more like bucket seats, and leave your legs dangling and there is no shin bar/guard that people complain about on Wicked and Cannibal. If you've ever paid attention to Fire Dragon's lapbars, you will notice that they also have shin bars/ankle bars.

To anyone who complains about Wicked's or Cannibal's shin/ankle guards, take a ride on HangTime and get punched in the nuts in the Corkscrew like what happened to me! That's right! The corkscrew on HangTime conspired with the poor seat and lapbar design and lack of ankle/shin guards to punch me in the balls... not just in the Corkscrew, but in the Cobra Roll as well!

Everything was going fine until we inverted in the Corkscrew. With my feet dangling and no shin/ankle bar, the g forces, center bar, and seat crotch bump conspired to punch me in the balls. The half loop was hard to enjoy, as was the double down into the Cobra Roll. The airtime on the double down was slightly more violent than Cannibal's out of the Diving Loop, but hard to enjoy because of the pain. As soon as we inverted in the Cobra Roll, I got punched in the balls again, and we entered the Brake Run, which was quite painful considering the abuse I just experienced.

While there are some comparisons to Cannibal, they are very different rides. Cannibal feels like a well engineered and polished design, and HangTime felt it was lacking that. It seemed more like a ride made of different elements put together without the thought of the rider experience and finished product. While Cannibal maintains it's speed, HangTime's speed into the Brakes feels like wasted momentum. The braking is also very hard, especially considering they are magnetic. I thought Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, and Xcelerator were pretty harsh.

The capacity on HangTime could have been much improved by a dual loading station. There is a Holding/Waiting Zone before the Station Platform, which is wasted. In front of the Station Platform is the area where the Chain Dog couples to the back of the train, much like Fire Dragon. By moving the HangTime Gift Shop south a bit, it would have permitted a longer Brake Run, Transfer/Holding, Dual Loading Station (Load 1/Load 2), Automatic Dispatch/Holding, and Chain Coupling Blocks. This could have permitted 4 Train Operations.

The best things HangTime has to offer is the speed at which the train moves off the angled pre drop and the air time on the double down. Again, everything about Cannibal is better IMO.

Next, Part 3 - Look! A MACK Wild Mouse Credit!

Well that sounds horrible. I can scratch that off my need to ride list. I still think that lighting package would look awesome on wicked. Anyway I hope you had a great time at Knott's Scary Farm. I wished we would have done that last year instead of going to Universal Hollywood.