Interview with Adam Leishman about W. K. Train animals
While trying to respond to somebody about the Lagoon zoo on social media, I happened upon this article(?) from May where they interviewed Lagoon media rep Adam Leishman about the animals.  Hadn't recalled seeing it here before, so though others might find it interesting to read, too.  I think this is about as close as I've ever seen to the park actually defending the criticism, at least that I can recall.

https://universe.byu.edu/2018/05/08/do-l...te-care-1/
(10-09-2018, 06:33 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: While trying to respond to somebody about the Lagoon zoo on social media, I happened upon this article(?) from May where they interviewed Lagoon media rep Adam Leishman about the animals.  Hadn't recalled seeing it here before, so though others might find it interesting to read, too.  I think this is about as close as I've ever seen to the park actually defending the criticism, at least that I can recall.

I bet you only about 20 percent of those protesters are people who really care about the animals. About 50 percent are people who just see an animal in a cage and assume they are treated in awful ways, and they make stuff up to get their way. And about another 20 of those people are people who are just finding something to complain about because they have nothing better do to. Not to put people who care about animals under the bus, as I care about animals as the next person. But some of these problems are ridicules.
(10-09-2018, 06:33 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: While trying to respond to somebody about the Lagoon zoo on social media, I happened upon this article(?) from May where they interviewed Lagoon media rep Adam Leishman about the animals.  Hadn't recalled seeing it here before, so though others might find it interesting to read, too.  I think this is about as close as I've ever seen to the park actually defending the criticism, at least that I can recall.

I love Hogle's snide comment regarding their AZA "Accreditation" and that Lagoon couldn't possibly meet AZA "Standards." The more you look into the AZA and their "Accreditation," the more you learn that more money is going to exhibits that make people feel better than towards the actual animal's needs and health. The AZA and their Species Survival Plan (SSP) of Genetic Superioriority is about one thing; Money. The AZA can only grow if they have more of those Genetically Superior Offspring to Sell to more Zoos. How can their "Education and Conservation Message" go on otherwise they say. The truth is they don't give a rat's butt if a genetically inferior animal dies or is euthanized.
(10-09-2018, 07:50 PM)Lagoon Lover Wrote: I bet you only about 20 percent of those protesters are people who really care about the animals. About 50 percent are people who just see an animal in a cage and assume they are treated in awful ways, and they make stuff up to get their way. And about another 20 of those people are people who are just finding something to complain about because they have nothing better do to. Not to put people who care about animals under the bus, as I care about animals as the next person. But some of these problems are ridicules.
99% of those people know nothing about the actual care of the types of animals at Lagoon or the expense of that care. They project their feelings and emotions onto another being without regard to the actual well being of the animal. PETA and UARC protesters have plenty of disposable income for gasoline, poster board, paint, and markers, but not to actually help any animal. If they did, you probably wouldn't see some of Lagoon's Animals at Lagoon, because the places they came from, if they were good, would have had the funding to remain open. They like to say there are facilities open and willing to take or "rescue" (their words, not mine) the animals from Lagoon, but when pressed, cannot give you any information about those facilities or the funding, because it's complete BS.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(10-09-2018, 11:03 PM)linearinduction Wrote: I love Hogle's snide comment regarding their AZA "Accreditation" and that Lagoon couldn't possibly meet AZA "Standards." The more you look into the AZA and their "Accreditation," the more you learn that more money is going to exhibits that make people feel better than towards the actual animal's needs and health. The AZA and their Species Survival Plan (SSP) of Genetic Superioriority is about one thing; Money. The AZA can only grow if they have more of those Genetically Superior Offspring to Sell to more Zoos. How can their "Education and Conservation Message" go on otherwise they say. The truth is they don't give a rat's butt if a genetically inferior animal dies or is euthanized. 99% of those people know nothing about the actual care of the types of animals at Lagoon or the expense of that care. They project their feelings and emotions onto another being without regard to the actual well being of the animal. PETA and UARC protesters have plenty of disposable income for gasoline, poster board, paint, and markers, but not to actually help any animal. If they did, you probably wouldn't see some of Lagoon's Animals at Lagoon, because the places they came from, if they were good, would have had the funding to remain open. They like to say there are facilities open and willing to take or "rescue" (their words, not mine) the animals from Lagoon, but when pressed, cannot give you any information about those facilities or the funding, because it's complete BS.

Completely agree. If they thought lagoon was really hurting animals in the way some people have said they have been, they have the right tools to do something other than protest nonsense and waste people's time. Its like they are finding something to be angry at.
(10-09-2018, 11:14 PM)Lagoon Lover Wrote: Completely agree. If they thought lagoon was really hurting animals in the way some people have said they have been, they have the right tools to do something other than protest nonsense and waste people's time. Its like they are finding something to be angry at.
Everyone needs a "Cause" to make themselves feel their lives have meaning, right? Some find religion or other vices, and others sit back and watch the chaos.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
(10-09-2018, 11:18 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Everyone needs a "Cause" to make themselves feel their lives have meaning, right? Some find religion or other vices, and  others sit back and watch the chaos.

This totally has nothing to do with lagoon, but you got me started, so here we go.

That is the sad thing about todays day and age. People will do anything for fame. People will do anything just to have people look at them, wether it is looking down on them or not. People at lagoon find something like that, they see something that could maybe have a small problem and make out lagoons zoo to look like a slaughterhouse. 

Wow. I think I got it all out.  Tongue
(10-09-2018, 11:41 PM)Lagoon Lover Wrote: This totally has nothing to do with lagoon, but you got me started, so here we go.

That is the sad thing about todays day and age. People will do anything for fame. People will do anything just to have people look at them, wether it is looking down on them or not. People at lagoon find something like that, they see something that could maybe have a small problem and make out lagoons zoo to look like a slaughterhouse. 

Wow. I think I got it all out. 
You are absolutely correct! I mean, just read PETAs "Fact Sheet" about Lagoon building Rattlesnake in an Animal Boneyard! lol Someone watched "Pet Cemetery" too many times.

(10-10-2018, 08:00 PM)linearinduction Wrote: You are absolutely correct! I mean, just read PETAs "Fact Sheet" about Lagoon building Rattlesnake in an Animal Boneyard! lol Someone watched "Pet Cemetery" too many times.

I hadn't heard that one before!  As someone who literally helped build Rattlesnake, I can honestly say...  haHaHAHAhahah!  Oh man, that's a good one...

The only thing I'm aware of being buried in there are two of my teeth.  That lift frame is solid, yo...
(10-10-2018, 08:03 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: I hadn't heard that one before!  As someone who literally helped build Rattlesnake, I can honestly say...  haHaHAHAhahah!  Oh man, that's a good one...

The only thing I'm aware of being buried in there are two of my teeth.  That lift frame is solid, yo...

You helped build Rattlesnake Rapids?
(10-10-2018, 08:05 PM)DaSpanishPotato Wrote: You helped build Rattlesnake Rapids?

I did, yep.  Nothing super highly skilled, but I spent many weeks in the Farmington winter out there drilling holes, turning wrenches, and doing heavy lifting.  Couldn't do it today if you paid me, but I'm glad to say I was part of it back then.  As a tinkerer, it was fun as hell watching it go together.