Live E! Old Horrible Renditions of Pop Songs
(09-28-2018, 09:40 AM)linearinduction Wrote: When Mark and Christy were running things, you had 4 Day Shows in Carousel (1,000) 4 Day Shows at Made in the Shade (1,000), 4 PV Shows (1,200), 4 Rock U2 The Top Shows (1,000), 2 Night Shows (2,000), 2 Bands, and 4 Clown Shows (500). So, with a park at that time, with a Capacity of 18k to 20k and approximately 6,000 guests watching shows on an at capacity day, gives you a much better idea of when Lagoon was known for their Live Entertainment.

Mark and Christy were approached multiple times to write and/or produce Live E productions for other Parks. Paramount Parks was interested in a Rock U2 The Top type show format, but Mark and Christy declined, due to their commitments to Lagoon. Parks really didn't have a Top 40 show until Mark and Christy did Rock for Lagoon. Other Parks were that impressed with the production quality and attendance. Paramount Parks and Six Flags tried to copy the format, but they were terrible and did not have the production quality of Rock U2 The Top.

There was also a time when shows for the following season were written by August of the previous year, with a few tweaks here and there through the fall. Purchasing for materials for costumes began after Lagoon's season ended and auditions in Utah, Idaho, Nashville, and many other states were held in January. Rehearsals started in February for the Day Show, PV Show, and Rock Show, and the Night Show in March. Rehearsals for FRIGHTMARES began in August.

As I touched on, Lagoon and Mark and Christy were known to other Parks. While I worked at Cedar Point in 2001, I was lucky enough to be one of the Costumed Characters (The Mummy) for Halloweekends. The shoes were way too small for me, so I was sent to the Costume shop to see if there was any way for me to dress up my shoes to match the Costume. I got to meet Cedar Point's Wardrobe guy, Irby, and while searching for material he learned I was from Utah, worked at Lagoon, and knew of Mark and Christy. He couldn't stop raving about how he, at the #1 Amusement Park in the World, absolutely loved Lagoon's and Mark and Christy's shows.

Lagoon probably would have also won more Live E awards at IAAPA had their production costs been less. The budget for the Night Show was in excess of $750,000 Dollars, which put them in a category with Disney Stage Shows in their Theme Parks and Spectaculars, like Cedar Point's Summer Spectacular. Rock U2 The Top fell into the $500,000 - $750,000 Category, and the Day Show and PV Show in the $250,000 - $500,000 Category.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Wow! I would have liked to see the shows from Lagoon's "Golden Era" of Live E! That all sounds really impressive  Shocked

Sounds like modern Live E! is a fraction/shell of what it used to be.
(09-28-2018, 11:24 AM)gregwibert Wrote: Wow! I would have liked to see the shows from Lagoon's "Golden Era" of Live E! That all sounds really impressive  Shocked

Sounds like modern Live E! is a fraction/shell of what it used to be.
It's far less than a fraction even. Dinky the Clown was outside the park at opening, the first Day Show was 12:30/12:45 at Made in the Shade, and the last show was Rock U2 The Top started at 9:45pm. So Live E open to close nearly every day! Night Show was Off Sunday, PV Show off Monday, Rock off Tuesday, and Day Show off Wednesday.

Frightmares! had an insane schedule!

Zombie Jamboree/Mambo started some years at Park Opening on Fridays and going every 20 Minutes with two 40 minute break periods. Saturdays started at 5:30pm. The last show of Zombie was at 11:00pm most years.

Monster Classics went nearly the same number of performances as Zombie in multiple locations, like before some Zombie Performances, some Frankie Bunches, Opera House, and Maze Stage.

Fab Frankies had performances before some Witching Hour shows and had their own Maze Stage.

The Frankie Bunch/The Witching Hour had Showtimes at 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, and 10:30pm on Fridays, with a 5:30pm show added on Saturdays, so 6 shows on a Saturday, and the first Sunday showtime was at 3:30, followed by 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, and 7:30pm. I have a 1997, 1998, or 1999 Frightmares! Entertainment Schedule in storage somewhere....

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island