Speedway Jr.
(08-15-2018, 05:55 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Terroride cars have small oval brass plates on the inner front that are worn completely smooth. Are these what you mean by builder/manufacturer plates?

I found the other amusement park with the same ride: http://www.centreisland.ca/centreville/r...ction.html
I'll contact them and ask if they know anything...
They used to be on the back of the vehicles towards the left hand tire. That was in the early 80's though. They have been removed or worn off for decades now.
(08-15-2018, 11:44 PM)crooks.mark Wrote: They used to be on the back of the vehicles towards the left hand tire. That was in the early 80's though. They have been removed or worn off for decades now.

Thanks! I don't doubt that. Did you work at Lagoon or did you just go there a lot?

Here's the oldest pic with the new cars that I can find. I don't know if that layout matches today or not, but it shouldn't be that difficult for Lagoon to build new track. It's some standard size steel bars that are bent, welded to some brackets and wired to a power source. (Lagoon really, really ought to extend Dracula's Castle)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=817]

Edit: umm, are those kids actually steering the fake front wheels? It doesn't work like that now does it? I haven't been on it in a while.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Banana
(08-16-2018, 12:20 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: Thanks! I don't doubt that. Did you work at Lagoon or did you just go there a lot?

Here's the oldest pic with the new cars that I can find. I don't know if that layout matches today or not, but it shouldn't be that difficult for Lagoon to build new track. It's some standard size steel bars that are bent, welded to some brackets and wired to a power source. (Lagoon really, really ought to extend Dracula's Castle)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=817]

Edit: umm, are those kids actually steering the fake front wheels? It doesn't work like that now does it? I haven't been on it in a while.
No I never worked at Lagoon I was too far south of the park during the age most people work there but we did go frequently. I caught the how does this work/who built this bug at a very young age. I was always more interested in how a ride worked than enjoying the ride itself.

I also agree that Lagoon should expand Dracula's Castle and I doubt fabricating new track should be a problem. I'm sure they've had to replace sections over the years.
Well that picture shows the current cars were added before the layout changed, but it's still not the one I was thinking of. I know it was somewhere on this site. Oh well.
This would've been taken before Carousel Plaza was built because the walkway was paved through the part of the ride in the picture at that point. So the track and cars were changed before then. I used to think they weren't changed until the track layout changed.
(08-15-2018, 08:29 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: I don't see any record of a Speedway Jr. pic being removed from the wiki, maybe you mean this otherwise previously unseen pic I sent you a few years back? (bonus trivia, the lady in the middle will likely be shown in an upcoming Saltair book at a much younger age).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=816]

(08-15-2018, 09:14 PM)Brăden Wrote: Interesting. Another reason to get impatient for that book...

The wait will be worth it. Its a good image Luke has allowed me to use.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(08-16-2018, 07:39 AM)Brăden Wrote: Well that picture shows the current cars were added before the layout changed, but it's still not the one I was thinking of. I know it was somewhere on this site. Oh well.

I think I know the picture you are referring to, but I'm struggling finding it too. Frown
Centreville Amusement Park, the other park with the same ride as Speedway Jr., wrote me back. I asked them if they knew who built the ride and if they could tell me anything else about it, I also asked if Bill tracy had any involvement with the car ride or their dark ride. Their answer:

Centreville Amusement Park Wrote:Our haunted house was not designed by Bill Tracy.  The Touring Cars was originally a horse and buggie ride and we converted into Touring Cars.  I hope this is what you were looking for.

So... uh, yeah.
Banana
(08-23-2018, 04:25 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Centreville Amusement Park, the other park with the same ride as Speedway Jr., wrote me back. I asked them if they knew who built the ride and if they could tell me anything else about it, I also asked if Bill tracy had any involvement with the car ride or their dark ride. Their answer:

So... uh, yeah.

Luke didn't speedway Jr also have horse and buggy vehicles then converted to the current cars?
(08-23-2018, 04:41 PM)Spy Hunter Wrote: Luke didn't speedway Jr also have horse and buggy vehicles then converted to the current cars?

I think it just had different cars, unless there's some form of the ride I don't know about.

While I was trying to find the picture Braden was talking about (unsuccessfully) using the wayback machine, I saw that LIF's original Speedway Jr. page said the ride was built in 1978. I'm not sure where that piece of info would have come from, but the original green color of the current vehicles was very 1978, so maybe that's when the cars were replaced. This is 4 years after Bill Tracy died. Maybe K D Enterprises started marketing car rides using Hushpuppy technology after Tracy's death since they were no longer supplying them to him for dark rides.

I guess I have to write a letter to Lagoon. I wonder how that'll go.
Banana
(08-23-2018, 04:41 PM)Spy Hunter Wrote: Luke didn't speedway Jr also have horse and buggy vehicles then converted to the current cars?
You might be thinking of the European Carousel, which had horse and buggy vehicles (along with Safari Jeeps, etc) added around the late '70s/early '80s. I wonder if the replacement vehicles for that ride had anything to do with Speedway...?