Speedway Jr.
So I've asked this before in multiple places and nobody seems to know a definitive answer, but I've been encouraged to ask again.

Who built the current Speedway JR?

The ride system looks to be identical to Terroride and Dracula's Castle. I wonder if perhaps you could lift one of the cars up and put it on one of the dark ride tracks and it would work. If so, that would mean that it is a hushpuppy, so it must have been built by K D enterprises like all hushpuppy vehicles, though the main contractor might have been Bill Tracy's ODD or Messmore & Damon. So does anybody know? There is another park with the same kid's car ride somewhere but I can't find it now. Speedway Jr. is the only ride at Lagoon with an unknown manufacturer.
I like dark rides

well I can tell you this much there's no builder plates on the cars.
(08-15-2018, 10:32 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: So I've asked this before in multiple places and nobody seems to know a definitive answer, but I've been encouraged to ask again.

Who built the current Speedway JR?

The ride system looks to be identical to Terroride and Dracula's Castle. I wonder if perhaps you could lift one of the cars up and put it on one of the dark ride tracks and it would work. If so, that would mean that it is a hushpuppy, so it must have been built by K D enterprises like all hushpuppy vehicles, though the main contractor might have been Bill Tracy's ODD or Messmore & Damon. So does anybody know? There is another park with the same kid's car ride somewhere but I can't find it now. Speedway Jr. is the only ride at Lagoon with an unknown manufacturer.
I have no information but it was most definitely built by the same company.
I remember years ago cars from both speedway jr. and terroride had the same manufacture plates that have long since been removed.
(08-15-2018, 01:13 PM)crooks.mark Wrote: I have no information but it was most definitely built by the same company.
I remember years ago cars from both speedway jr. and terroride had the same manufacture plates that have long since been removed.

Did u operate the ride when u saw the manufacturer plates on the cars?  Also about how long did u see the plates?  I was shocked when luke showed me the track and I looked closely, definitely same as terror ride.
We need to get Braden to voice his opinion on this, he is Mr history.
(08-15-2018, 12:02 PM)CPrider Wrote: well I can tell you this much there's no builder plates on the cars.

(08-15-2018, 01:13 PM)crooks.mark Wrote: I have no information but it was most definitely built by the same company.

Terroride cars have small oval brass plates on the inner front that are worn completely smooth. Are these what you mean by builder/manufacturer plates?

I found the other amusement park with the same ride: http://www.centreisland.ca/centreville/r...ction.html
I'll contact them and ask if they know anything...
I like dark rides

I remember you bringing this up before, and it's an interesting question. I haven't seen proof yet, but there's reason to believe Messmore & Damon was involved with Mother Gooseland which opened in 1956 and included the Speedway in its original form. M&D probably had more to do with the displays like the Old Woman's Shoe, the pumpkin, etc. But the original cars were made by Allan Herschell, who also made some cars for Bill Tracy rides, it looks like. I don't know if there's any connection there. Like maybe K D Enterprises had experience building cars for Herschell tracks after Herschell stopped making them? Just a shot in the dark. The track layout was modified after 1980, but I think the current cars were in use before that. There used to be a picture on the LIF Wiki that suggested that, but it's not there anymore.
(08-15-2018, 07:41 PM)Brăden Wrote: Like maybe K D Enterprises had experience building cars for Herschell tracks after Herschell stopped making them? Just a shot in the dark. The track layout was modified after 1980, but I think the current cars were in use before that. There used to be a picture on the LIF Wiki that suggested that, but it's not there anymore.

It wouldn't be that K D Enterprises made the cars for the Herschell track, because the track was changed from Herschell type to hushpuppy type along with the cars. The Herschell cars had 4 wheels and train-like track which can be seen in old photos on lagoonhistory.com and is better illustrated in this pic of a different Herschell car ride: (you have to click the link to see the pic for reasons I don't fully understand)

[Image: Car%20Ride.jpg]

The current cars have two rear wheels (the front wheels are fake and don't touch the ground) and are supported by an assembly attached to a central track the same way that Terroride and Drac's are.

[Image: Kiddie-cars_3E1C23AA-8AB1-4416-84BDCA986...7f8103.jpg]

I don't see any record of a Speedway Jr. pic being removed from the wiki, maybe you mean this otherwise previously unseen pic I sent you a few years back? (bonus trivia, the lady in the middle will likely be shown in an upcoming Saltair book at a much younger age).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=816]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I like dark rides

Interesting. Another reason to get impatient for that book...
The pic I'm thinking of showed a kid in a car as it traveled behind the station as it used to do.

You're right about the track. It is different. I didn't think about that. I was just kinda throwing out thoughts for a possible connection to Bill Tracy.
I can only see four possible scenarios:

1. Some other company reverse engineered K D Enterprises Hushpuppy technology and marketed it as a kiddie car ride. This seems like the least likely scenario since that's a lot of effort for something that's probably not legal.

2. K D Enterprises went over Bill Tracy's head and directly created the ride for Lagoon. I've read that Bill Tracy was the sole Hushpuppy distributor, but perhaps since it is a different type of ride that didn't apply. Bill Tracy may have even been concerned about this type of thing happening since he scratched the K D Enterprises name off their promotional material in his catalogs.

3. Bill Tracy's Amusement Display Associates (a division of Messmore & Damon) built it, just like Lagoon's dark rides.

4. Messmore & Damon built it without Bill Tracy but used their connection to acquire the vehicles from K D Enterprises.

We also know that Terroride used to have different Hushpuppy vehicles and it isn't clear when they were replaced with the current ones. I think it's most likely that Lagoon worked with Amusement Display Associates/Messmore & Damon on numerous occasions and Speedway Jr. is just one of four known sets of Hushpuppy vehicles the park got from them.

I contacted the park in Canada I mentioned above and asked if they could tell me more about their ride. I guess if that doesn't answer anything I could write a letter to Lagoon.
I like dark rides