Trip Report: Silverwood 2018...
(06-28-2018, 12:37 PM)Willenator Wrote: No pictures in your trip report? I'm sad.

Its not done yet.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(06-28-2018, 10:59 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Silverwood Theme Park and Boulder Beach Waterpark 2018:

Where to begin, where to begin....

My recent visit to Silverwood makes my third visit to the park. I first visited Silverwood in 1995 when their only large coaster was the Corkscrew. My next visit was in 2011. I feel like I have a pretty good feel for the park and can say I really enjoy this park and do recommend it to others. 

The park has grown significantly over the years and I feel in a good way. I will point out that to first time visitors the layout can seem a bit funky and non intuitive but once you look at the park map its easy to learn.

[Image: ff44048ff90e95fce4e16afc2a33c3ff.jpg]

The Park is located on US Highway 95 north of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho in the town of Athol, Idaho. Which is about an 11 hour drive from here in Utah. US-95 has developed into more of a interstate in recent years and now the park has a freeway style exit where before you used to just pull off the busy highway hoping to not die. That is a big improvement. The camping areas and parking lot are located across the highway from the park. The parking lot has been improved since my last visit and I feel is very well designed with a very adequate auto gate (that easily beats Lagoon's though that's not hard to do). My other visits I camped at the park however this visit we stayed at a hotel 30 minutes from the park. So I can't say how the camping was this year but in past visits it was a good place to stay. They do allow campfires at their campground which was very popular and made the parking lot very smokey, it was weird it would just sit over the parking lot which made walking to our car not the most enjoyable breathing in concentrated smoke lol.

Once parked you walk to the picnic area/ security bag check area (this is new since 2011) once through the checkpoint you walk down a path entering into a tunnel which is how you cross the highway. Once through the tunnel you walk up a stairway right to the park entrance. The new entrance is much larger than the old one, which is located inside the park now and you still walk by but the new entrance is larger and better at handling crowds. The whole new entrance plaza is nice which used to be a very small parking lot that was never useful and this new plaza is much better for the park.

Once through the front entrance you will pass by the park's merry go round on the right and Lindy's sit down restaurant on the left with the train station directly ahead. The path goes around the train station on either side. If you go to the right its the pioneer themed main street shops and eatery's. These were the original buildings when the park opened. The rail crossing here will be blocked when the train is loading and unloading. To head to the main park go left of the train station and this rail crossing will always be open when the train is loading and unloading. While on the subject of the train its a great relaxing ride and does fill up fast on busy days. The whole experience can take up to an hour with loading/ unloading and the ride time. The train goes out and around the water park through the forest behind the park and then back. There is a show half way through the ride and this years was especially entertaining. I however will always enjoy the one the train had in 1995 as it was my first visit to the park.

Once across the rails you will come to a large open grass field. which seems a bit weird but they hold concerts here and when the park was new they used to hold airshows as the park was built on an old airfield. With the growth of the park this is no longer possible but like I said the grass field is still used for concerts but I feel it would make a good area for a new midway expansion if the park ever saw fit to do so. Turning to the left the path will take you to the dry park and turning right the path will take you to Boulder Beach.

Following the path to the left will take you past a large building where they have a magic show done by the owners son. I did not watch the show this year but we did eat at the Pizzaria that is located in the same building which was good. The magic show is very well done however as I watched in 2011. The path continues and crosses the rails again and this where the rides, midway games and shops begin. The path here splits and one side heads to the kiddy land section which has very much improved in recent years to include two roller coasters. This path way will also take you to the parks log flume and onto to Roller Coaster Alley where you can access Timber Terror and Tremors the parks both spectacular woodies as well as Aftershock their Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang. If you go to the right it takes you up to the parks River Rapids ride and Corkscrew and also a back way to get to Tremors. Both paths meet up and dead end at Aftershock.

The park has no transport rides but is also doesn't need them either as walking across the park even on a busy day doesn't take long.

That's all for now. I'll write up a review of the coasters and boulder beach soon and how the park compares with Lagoon.

[Image: 0642e73fd708da2bd453518347f4eee2.jpg]

[Image: 8a45344087ba53457c98819c705af0bf.jpg]

[Image: bc1ea6c154e1ae1d9ac7b4f5ccfda5c4.jpg]

[Image: 4bcdfaadb3804b9b6eff67ca33e3ca4f.jpg]

[Image: b43c62c8b7d98d367f3f8051f144cba9.jpg]

More Pictures to come!
Very, and I mean VERY, well written Ian!

The road improvements and new entrance and plaza are absolutely fantastic for the park. Silverwood was able to build their parking lot and auto gates from scratch and it was, as I experienced in 2004, very well planned out. It's too bad Lagoon didn't relocate the old auto gate to somewhere in the overflow lot back when they rebuilt it. I'm sure there is a reason why they didn't and/or were not able to, which is a shame. I'm sure when we see the eventual NEW Auto Gate at Lagoon, we will all be grateful!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Boulder Beach Review:

This was my 2nd visit to Boulder Beach and again I am impressed with it.

For first off to get to Boulder Beach when you cross the tracks go to your left and follow the path. The sign is a little covered by the plants around it and could be uncovered a bit but that's nothing against the park. New for this visit were Riptide Racers and Ricochet Rapids. On my last visit Ricochet Rapids was the new attraction but opened the day after my visit, I was bummed. I was excited to get a ride on it this time however.

When first entering Boulder Beach directly to the left will be the kids area with the splash complex and some mild slides. Looks like a blast but as we didn't have our kids with us on this trip we didn't explore it but it looks like a kids dream for sure.

Directly ahead of you will be the lazy river. I have got to say this is one of the best around, Usually Lazy Rivers are eh and LAB's used to be my favorite but Boulder Beaches is far superior. The river has 3 entry locations all located on one side of the river which might seem like a down side but I like it as it allows the rest of the river to be able to be enjoyed. The river also includes and swim up bar serving slushies alcoholic and non as well and you can take them around the river with you. This however causes one improvement that needs to be implemented and that is trash cans around the river accessible with out leaving the river. There were plenty of used cups lining the river which should be there. The entrances to the river are sloped surfaces instead of stairs and that allows for easier and larger access points to the river. The only stair entrance is over by the bar. One of the best parts of the river is all the tubes stay in the river and don't need to be rented which made it nice to grab one and then just leave it when done with the river.

Riptide Racers. I gotta say what a rush but wear some goggles otherwise you will not be able to see. The slide is for the young though. My wife and I took one slide on it and it beat up us old fogies lol so one ride was good enough. The slide is a 6 side by side racing slide on mats and there is a timer at the bottle so you can have a race with your friends which was a cool novelty. I ended up winning but that's due to my extra weight lol. The max weight posted for this slide is 300 lbs just an fyi. Its located just behind the kids tower and is an easy walk from the lazy river as well. Even though it beat us up it was still a fun slide and if I had goggles I probably would have taken another spin on it.

Wave Pools: Boulder Beach has two of them and I think its one of the good design choices here as they get packed. The day we were there the 2nd one was closed down and never opened. Which was unfortunate as the day we went was the first day since Boulder Beach opened for the season that it had 80 degrees so the park was packed but the water park is large enough that is was still enjoyable. This trip we didn't partake of the wave pools but they are still fun.

Avalanche Mountain and Ricochet Rapids: How many water parks build a mountain to install slides on, not many. That is exactly what Silverwood has done. Avalanche Mountain is a fun 6 person tube slide that has lots of high banked turns providing lots of splashing! Its a great slide especially if you have a group. The line for it moves quickly as they have two loading stations. Which both slides share tubes which is fine except Ricochet Rapids only has one loading location so its line moves slower because of this. I was pretty pumped to try out Ricochet Rapids as like I said it opened the day after my last visit to the park. The line took longer as I said but the slide was well worth it and is the best of the two mountain slides. Its an enclosed slide with fountains inside and a half pipe section half way through. Both mountain slides are worth your time but in my opinion Ricochet Rapids is the best between the two.

The park also has steep tower slides and some tube slides that require to rent a tube but as we aren't a fan of those types we skipped them. That's about it. You could spend a whole day at the water park but my wife and I aren't huge waterpark fans and since we only had two day we spent 4 hours at the water park and then switched back to the dry park. We are all about the roller coasters. Which coming up probably next week will be the reviews on the coasters and the comparison to Lagoon. Sorry Will no pictures in this section as a water park is not really a place to take pictures at.

More to come.

I forgot to mention that one of the best places to eat on the park is at Chuck Wagon Johns back by Tremors its an all you can eat buffet for 12 dollars a person. Excellent BBQ food.

(06-29-2018, 11:22 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I forgot to mention that one of the best places to eat on the park is at Chuck Wagon Johns back by Tremors its an all you can eat buffet for 12 dollars a person. Excellent BBQ food.
I only ate at Lindy's in the Evenings and got Corndogs from the one place near the entrance to County Fair. The food at Lindy's was very good.

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Wished they lagoon would do something like their water park
Great review Ian! If you've never been to the park before, how many days would be optimum to see and do everything (including re-rides and stuff)? I want to plan a visit. Silverwood is on my bucket list.
(06-30-2018, 08:24 PM)linearinduction Wrote: I only ate at Lindy's in the Evenings and got Corndogs from the one place near the entrance to County Fair. The food at Lindy's was very good.

The food looked awesome but pizza sounded better at the time so we skipped Lindy's but the Chuck Wagon BBQ was awesome and at the base of Tremors lift hill made it have a great view.

(07-01-2018, 12:31 PM)gregwibert Wrote: Great review Ian! If you've never been to the park before, how many days would be optimum to see and do everything (including re-rides and stuff)? I want to plan a visit. Silverwood is on my bucket list.

I'd say Silverwood is easily a 2 day park even for a first timer. I would recommend going mid week though. We went on a weekend as that was our only option this year. Saturday we waited 30-45 minutes for Tremors and Timber Terror because of the coasters only having one train operation. We aren't huge water park fans so we only spent a few hours at the water park and then just marathoned Tremors and Timber Terror lol. To the GP Aftershock the Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang is the king of Silverwood but to me its meh, Tremors and Timber Terror are where its at.

(07-03-2018, 08:25 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: The food looked awesome but pizza sounded better at the time so we skipped Lindy's but the Chuck Wagon BBQ was awesome and at the base of Tremors lift hill made it have a great view.

I'd say Silverwood is easily a 2 day park even for a first timer. I would recommend going mid week though. We went on a weekend as that was our only option this year. Saturday we waited 30-45 minutes for Tremors and Timber Terror because of the coasters only having one train operation. We aren't huge water park fans so we only spent a few hours at the water park and then just marathoned Tremors and Timber Terror lol. To the GP Aftershock the Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang is the king of Silverwood but to me its meh, Tremors and Timber Terror are where its at.
I second this 2 Day suggestion! Spent the first day all in the dry park and split the second day between the water park and dry park. Scored a cab ride on Eureka & Palisades #7 when I was there too!

Timber Terror Review:

The stats:

Max Height: 85 Feet
Length: 2,700 Feet
Max Speed: 55 MPH
Manufacture: Custom Coaster International (CCI) (Defunct)
Trains: PTC Trains
Restraints: Seat belts with buzz bars.
Number of Trains: 1
Model: Classic Out and Back

The stats of this coaster make is seem simple and tame but this ride maybe be a simple out and back but its is not tame. The coaster starts out with a small dip out of the station and right onto the lift hill. At the top of the lift the track curves to the left with the whole train coming off the chain before the first drop. This coaster is an airtime machine! The best part of the ride in my opinion is the double up right after the first airtime hill. I got airtime on every hill on this ride it was amazing. The last time I rode this coaster it had a bad bump at the bottom of the first drop which in the last 7 years has been fixed lol. Its a shaky ride and is the roughest of the two woodies at Silverwood.

The coaster starts at the back of the park with one airtime hill following the first drop and then into a double up then a drop and up again into a large swooping turn around and then two more airtime hills and then into a lateral turn with minimal banking which throws ya around a bit, I like later g forces but this turn needed a bit more banking. After this turn it leads into a helix which also I feel is under-banked which then it goes into a straight section and then into a dip with a trim brake and then up into the reduction brakes. From the under-banked turn to reduction is by far the roughest part of the ride. Its a fun ride but if this last section had been done slightly differently it would be even better. 

This coaster is out of the four coasters there at least from my observations of the GP was the 2nd to least favorite at the park, with the least being Corkscrew. Myself personally rank it as the 2nd best coaster at the park, only second to Tremors but that's for a future review. Our first ride on it we waited a good 45 minutes but after that there was never a line but there was always a wait. Which is one thing Silverwood needs to improve on.

Each of their coasters are 1 train operations which means the through out it going to be slower obviously and slower more with bad operations. Silverwoods employees are thorough and safe but they are deathly slow. These crews should be busting butt to get their dispatch times up and they won't even with a long line. I understand from operating rides there are days that you just don't want to be there but its your job and you need to do it. Silverwood needs to consider modifying their two woodies to put on a 2nd train or the cheaper and less drastic option kick their operators in the butt to get them moving. I asked on of the operators if they would like a 2nd train to help with operations and his answer not an exact quote but was basically that he'd have to do more work. This is one area that Lagoon for the most part does better than Silverwood is efficiency.

The coaster is the first thing you see when driving to the park from the south on Highway 95 and has the parks name hanging on its lift hill and I like the look of it. Over all Timber Terror is a great ride and very re-ridable and a great part of silverwood. I was asked by a park employee, because of one of my coaster enthusiast shirts I had one, which coaster was the best between Tremors and Timber Terror and I said while both are wood coasters they are much different from each other and are both great rides, each was designed to provide a different thrill. With that I do recommend riding Timber Terror first before Tremors though this is hard as you will walk by Tremors first.