Possible Website Name Change
I like 116 degrees of fun
Or shorten it to Club 86?

Lake Park is fun

Ell Eye Eff.
(06-08-2018, 03:33 PM)Brăden Wrote: Or shorten it to Club 86?

Lake Park is fun

Ell Eye Eff.

Lake Park is Fun = Awesome!
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
Alright, joke names aside (thanks for everyone ignoring my obviously bad pun early on), to quote Li Shang, let's get down to business.

Will, serious question for you:  do you run any analytics or do anything to give you any idea of how new members find this place?  Do we even get a lot of new members/followers, or is it pretty much a set established group with a little bit of word-of-mouth?

I can totally understand the frustration of the false association, but my one worry with a name change excluding the actual word "Lagoon" is that people might never find this place.  Although, given some of the developments of the last year or so, maybe we (well, you, anyway) aren't concerned about that anymore.

Or, to keep it pithy:  what's the lesser of two evils, having to de-officialize yourself at times, or turning into a speakeasy that only people who know the magic knock will ever find their way into?
I honestly love the 1886 Association. Possible even the 1886 Amusement Association just to be more precise and we don't get random historic questions about 1886.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
(06-08-2018, 04:47 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Will, serious question for you:  do you run any analytics or do anything to give you any idea of how new members find this place?  Do we even get a lot of new members/followers, or is it pretty much a set established group with a little bit of word-of-mouth?

I can totally understand the frustration of the false association, but my one worry with a name change excluding the actual word "Lagoon" is that people might never find this place.  Although, given some of the developments of the last year or so, maybe we (well, you, anyway) aren't concerned about that anymore.

Or, to keep it pithy:  what's the lesser of two evils, having to de-officialize yourself at times, or turning into a speakeasy that only people who know the magic knock will ever find their way into?

I'll admit that this concern has been hovering at the back of my mind - too much of a name change, and people either won't find out about the site at all or just glance at the name and think that it's something else altogether and leave without investigating it further (and thus not realizing that it's a Lagoon fan site).

Perhaps the name could stay the same, but expand upon things at the top of the page, where that "Lagoon Is Fun" text/link is in the upper left corner (maybe expand it to read something more along the line of "Lagoon Is Fun - a fan site for followers of Lagoon Amusement Park".)
The website itself doesn't pull a whole lot of people by itself. Most traffic comes from regular users and occasionally we will pick up from word of mouth or the social media posts that point to something interesting on the forum. I get a lot of activity on Facebook and Instagram, but that doesn't translate into people using the website. We have a core group of users around 20 people that visit and post to the site regularly. Another 10 to 15 visit regularly but only post from time to time.

If done right, I believe a name change would have little impact on what occurs already, but I realize a lot would have to be done correctly to make the move without driving people away. Is it worth it or not? I'm not entirely sure. The increase in mistaking my social media accounts for official Lagoon accounts has increased in the last two years. This year has been the worst, and it has been an increasing frustration on my end. It's not the website that I have an issue with. It's the social media stuff, so I thought I'd throw out a name change idea and see what the community thought. Maybe it will blow over after a little bit. Who knows. I actually revamped all the descriptions of stuff on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter recently to see if that would help too. We shall see.

If I do make a name change, it won't be for quite awhile. I still have a lot of work I would have to do to make the transition occur easily. I will say I have had fun thinking of new names with the rest of you and seeing what people like, and it helped drive some discussion, which is always nice. Smile
Oh man, I am not Lagoon is a winner! Haha! Honestly, all of the genuine ones sounds great.