Disappearing Games
(04-29-2018, 08:07 PM)gregwibert Wrote: It's true. There are cameras everywhere...most of the GP has no idea. They can follow a lost child across the entire park until assistance / parents arrive (with regular radio updates on position, etc.)

Having lost kids at the park, I don't think this is entirely true. Once they realize a kid is lost they can follow him/her but do very little active work to follow a kid. When we lost our son, he was lost for over 2 hours. We found him with very little help from the park.

-Z
(05-01-2018, 12:23 AM)Z Wrote: Having lost kids at the park, I don't think this is entirely true. Once they realize a kid is lost they can follow him/her but do very little active work to follow a kid. When we lost our son, he was lost for over 2 hours. We found him with very little help from the park.

-Z
It's less about finding lost children in the park than keeping everyone safe. There's no way a lost child is getting out of the park without being seen.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(04-30-2018, 09:15 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: One of Lagoon's past games managers suggested many of the games  are rigged so that's probably the main reason I perceive them to be. I agree with his view that they have redeeming qualities and are good fun even if they are rigged.

https://www.wired.com/2005/10/bushnell/

Well, here's a video on YouTube that I watched a while back, titled "Top 10 Tricks Carnivals Don't Want You To Know" - some of what it goes over are why I can see how the idea of "carnival/amusement park games are rigged!" comes up:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyG0p3iK3IA[/video]
(05-01-2018, 08:46 PM)Gregory Wrote: Well, here's a video on YouTube that I watched a while back, titled "Top 10 Tricks Carnivals Don't Want You To Know" - some of what it goes over are why I can see how the idea of "carnival/amusement park games are rigged!" comes up:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyG0p3iK3IA[/video]
Midway Games are often referred to as "Games of Skill" because there is usually a trick or skill to win the game. Hitting the base of the milk cans is a "no crap dummy" kind of thing or throwing the ball underhand and with a spin to get it into the milk can. I've known people who are just really good at Lagoon's games and would hit their season limit during pre season.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
(05-01-2018, 12:23 AM)Z Wrote: Having lost kids at the park, I don't think this is entirely true. Once they realize a kid is lost they can follow him/her but do very little active work to follow a kid. When we lost our son, he was lost for over 2 hours. We found him with very little help from the park.

-Z

Wow that must have been terrible. Where did you eventually find your son? Was he also trying to find you?

My wife "lost" one of our kids when he was little at Wal-Mart. He was hiding inside a circular clothes wrack. He didn't realize he was lost but she was freaked out.
(05-04-2018, 07:22 AM)gregwibert Wrote: Wow that must have been terrible. Where did you eventually find your son? Was he also trying to find you?

My wife "lost" one of our kids when he was little at Wal-Mart. He was hiding inside a circular clothes wrack. He didn't realize he was lost but she was freaked out.

We were on Dragonfly and had 3 or 4 families together, so there were a lot of people to keep track of. He jumped off as the ride stopped and had decided that he wanted to ride the Wild Kingdom Train. He managed to get off and walk by family members waiting at the exit and made his way to the train, got in line, and went for a ride. He also visited the bathroom and wandered around the park for a while. He was 4 or 5. 

Meanwhile, we were all going crazy running around to try and find him. We thought he would start to get panicked, but he never did. We had 6-8 adults running around looking for him and couldn't find him anywhere. When I talked with security, they essentially told me that if a kid gets lost, generally he/she will start crying and an employee will approach him/her and call it in. They asked me to give them my number and they would notify me once they found him.

Eventually, he wandered back into Kiddie Land, where we had positioned one of the adults in case he came back. It was much more traumatic for the parents than the child, though he realized the gravity of the situation when he saw how panicked we were. We lost him once more that summer, when he misinterpreted instructions about going back to the table when we picked up some Churros, going back to the table where we had dinner, rather than the table 10 feet away where the rest of the family was sitting. We have since learned he is autistic and doesn't have normal emotional responses to situations like this.

-Z
(05-04-2018, 08:45 AM)Z Wrote: We were on Dragonfly and had 3 or 4 families together, so there were a lot of people to keep track of. He jumped off as the ride stopped and had decided that he wanted to ride the Wild Kingdom Train. He managed to get off and walk by family members waiting at the exit and made his way to the train, got in line, and went for a ride. He also visited the bathroom and wandered around the park for a while. He was 4 or 5. 

Meanwhile, we were all going crazy running around to try and find him. We thought he would start to get panicked, but he never did. We had 6-8 adults running around looking for him and couldn't find him anywhere. When I talked with security, they essentially told me that if a kid gets lost, generally he/she will start crying and an employee will approach him/her and call it in. They asked me to give them my number and they would notify me once they found him.

Eventually, he wandered back into Kiddie Land, where we had positioned one of the adults in case he came back. It was much more traumatic for the parents than the child, though he realized the gravity of the situation when he saw how panicked we were. We lost him once more that summer, when he misinterpreted instructions about going back to the table when we picked up some Churros, going back to the table where we had dinner, rather than the table 10 feet away where the rest of the family was sitting. We have since learned he is autistic and doesn't have normal emotional responses to situations like this.

-Z
This is why a lot of parks refer to Lost Parents, because most of the time, it's the Parents who are actually lost and the Kids knew what they were doing. lol

(05-04-2018, 01:35 PM)linearinduction Wrote: This is why a lot of parks refer to Lost Parents, because most of the time, it's the Parents who are actually lost and the Kids knew what they were doing. lol

Win

That is horribly frightening for the parent(s). Glad he was safe.
(05-04-2018, 01:35 PM)linearinduction Wrote: This is why a lot of parks refer to Lost Parents, because most of the time, it's the Parents who are actually lost and the Kids knew what they were doing. lol

That is a great way to phrase it!

He was calm as can be the first time. The second time he knew he screwed up and was panicked. It was one of the most beautiful things I have seen though when I saw him running with two churros in his hands back to where we were with the sun shining off of his brown hair as it flopped up and down. I picked him up in my arms and brought him back to the family. THAT is one of my fondest Lagoon memories. Thinking about it makes me panic, thinking about my lost boy, but also makes me nostalgic for those days when the kids were small, small enough that I could pick them up in my arms and throw them in the air. They were so perfect!

Except for the getting lost part...

-Z
(05-04-2018, 01:50 PM)Z Wrote: That is a great way to phrase it!

He was calm as can be the first time. The second time he knew he screwed up and was panicked. It was one of the most beautiful things I have seen though when I saw him running with two churros in his hands back to where we were with the sun shining off of his brown hair as it flopped up and down. I picked him up in my arms and brought him back to the family. THAT is one of my fondest Lagoon memories. Thinking about it makes me panic, thinking about my lost boy, but also makes me nostalgic for those days when the kids were small, small enough that I could pick them up in my arms and throw them in the air. They were so perfect!

Except for the getting lost part...

-Z

Lol!

How old is he now?