Lagoon News 2018 Single Day Pass Pricing
I would love to see more amusement parks / theme parks in general. The crowds at many parks are starting to get really bad some days.
(01-10-2018, 07:36 PM)linearinduction Wrote: If there were indeed demand, Saltair and Saratoga Springs would still be open.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There in fact was demand for Saltair  but there were other factors that made demand wain for the resort that were not the fault of the resort. All will be covered in my book.

(01-10-2018, 07:41 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Utah's population has doubled since Saratoga closed and tripled since Saltair closed.

This is spot on.

(01-10-2018, 07:52 PM)linearinduction Wrote: But had they been financially viable, they would have remained open.

Saltair was financially viable. Saltair I was bringing in half a million visitors in the 1920's which was more than the state's whole population in 1920. A big part of Saltair's downfall was the 1925 fire which caused 500,000 in damages with only 150,000 covered by insurance, if Lagoon had that same kind of tragedy we would be talking about Lagoon in the past tense as well. Saltair II was built because of overwhelming public demand but the expense of the fire was overwhelming feat to get over unfortunately it was a feat that the resort was never able to  defeat.  Saltair II's problems started from the rebuilding and they never could regain a foot hold as well as they kept focusing on the swimming when they should have moved their focus to being an amusement park if they had it might still be around today.  

(01-10-2018, 08:15 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: There are other factors. Maybe Saratoga could have recovered from the Flood, but it would have needed to start over from scratch, and another flood would wipe it out again. After the Great Salt Lake was divided in half and the salt content was all screwed up, the lake became the most putrid thing in the state. Nobody would ever want to go hang out there all day. Even if it had survived it would have been underwater in the 80's.  Even Lagoon had to move due to its reliance on the lake, and that was before the lake was ruined. Moral of the story: Don't build your Utah amusement park next to a Lake.

The lake also had raw sewage dumped into it, done with the belief that the high salt content would sanitize the lake and eliminate the sewage naturally (obviously that is wrong). This caused Saltair grief as it made the the swimming part of their business null and void. Saltair II if it had been there in the 1980's during the flooding wouldn't have been under water as it was built 10 feet over the water level in the 1890's. While the waters would have been closer to the bottom of the pier the resort buildings and Giant Racer (if there mind you) would have been okay in the flood. Now the road from the beach to the resort along parking lot were built on the Salt Flats as well as the new front gate would have been flooded by the floods and that could have met the end of Saltair II if it had been around then as well but its hard to speculate on that.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
Ian - Are there any natural geo-thermal pools around Saltair II ? If so, maybe they could have focused on those? Crystal and Lava Hot Springs seem to do pretty well cashing in on those.
(01-11-2018, 06:05 PM)gregwibert Wrote: Ian - Are there any natural geo-thermal pools around Saltair II ? If so, maybe they could have focused on those? Crystal and Lava Hot Springs seem to do pretty well cashing in on those.

Unfortunately there isn't.

(01-11-2018, 11:26 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Unfortunately there isn't.

Cry Cry Cry Cry
This thread got really depressing, really quick. Frown
Ian, Demand would equal Viability. There was Demand for an MLS Franchise, and this RSL was Viable. Same for the Golden Knights in Las Vegas. The NHL Pre Season Games in Las Vegas have been huge for decades, and there was an IHL Team, the Thunder, in Las Vegas in the 90s. After the IHL Folded, there was Demand for another Pro Hockey Team, an NHL Team, to be located in Vegas. It nearly happened several years ago, but there was not a Management Team and Owner to make it Viable. Finally, it happened, and Las Vegas has an NHL Team that was in demand and viable. You can say there is Demand for an NFL Team, which polls have shown for many years, but it is not Financially Viable.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(01-12-2018, 12:45 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Ian, Demand would equal Viability. There was Demand for an MLS Franchise, and this RSL was Viable. Same for the Golden Knights in Las Vegas. The NHL Pre Season Games in Las Vegas have been huge for decades, and there was an IHL Team, the Thunder, in Las Vegas in the 90s. After the IHL Folded, there was Demand for another Pro Hockey Team, an NHL Team, to be located in Vegas. It nearly happened several years ago, but there was not a Management Team and Owner to make it Viable. Finally, it happened, and Las Vegas has an NHL Team that was in demand and viable. You can say there is Demand for an NFL Team, which polls have shown for many years, but it is not Financially Viable.

Why do you hate Saltair so much?

lol, I don't hate it and I wish it was still around. One would think obviously, if someone could have turned a profit from it, it would still be open today. It was such a unique and interesting place, with some nice rides back in the day. Had someone had some vision, like the Freed Brothers did with Lagoon, I have no doubt that someone could have made it viable, with enough work and capital.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(01-12-2018, 02:31 PM)linearinduction Wrote: lol, I don't hate it and I wish it was still around. One would think obviously, if someone could have turned a profit from it, it would still be open today. It was such a unique and interesting place, with some nice rides back in the day. Had someone had some vision, like the Freed Brothers did with Lagoon, I have no doubt that someone could have made it viable, with enough work and capital.

You'll have to buy a copy of my book.