Least Favourite ride and why?
(12-22-2017, 02:01 PM)Spy Hunter Wrote: They got that fancy new toilet on the pedestal that lights up.

North is the Best bathroom in the park right now.  That's a reason to go over there, besides Cannibal.  Happy Wink
(12-22-2017, 01:08 PM)Gregory Wrote: And since I realize that I didn't answer the "Why?" part of Wicked07's question for the other rides I mentioned, it's because they (particularly Rock-O-Plane and Paratrooper) seem a bit cheap, in a traveling carnival kind of way, and I think that Lagoon could do better (I also agree with the comments of others on Cliffhanger - it's just lame, and there are obviously issues that ride operators have had with it; as Jetstar2 said, get rid of it and bring back Speedway Sr., or at least get rid of it and Music Theater both and put the area to some other good use).
See, I'm completely the opposite on some of the older carnival rides: I hope they do their best to keep them, because they are some super-classic amusement rides that you just don't find in many places that can be safely ridden anymore. I mean, I'd still kinda have preferred that if one of them had to get damaged out of commission, it would have been Rock-o first (I loved Roll-o, but have never enjoyed Rock-o). Sure, you'll find rides like that at the occasional travelling carnival or fair, but... yeah. No, thanks. The fact that Lagoon maintains (in both senses of the word) a great mix of modern and classic amusement rides is part of the charm, and I think it'd be a terrible shame if someone at Lagoon ever gets too fond of the idea of throwing away the old to make room for the new.

Except Hydro. That ride can burn in whatever fires they want destroy it with.

Personally for me, Cliffhanger's the ride that needs to go. Never had the slightest inkling to ride it; don't like rides that get me wet, and less still rides that spin me for no good reason. Considering how often Cliffhanger is "waiting for parts from Europe", it may as well make room for a ride that pulls its weight. It's not new. It's not classic. It's just... meh.

And yeah, for all the maintenance nightmare that was Speedway Sr., I'd smile like a big kid to see that hunk of crap come back. Shame my nephews never got to go on that ride... they'd have been in heaven!

(12-23-2017, 01:48 PM)gregwibert Wrote: North is the Best bathroom in the park right now.  That's a reason to go over there, besides Cannibal.  Happy Wink
At least it'll have competition in the new & improved South Midway this year! Can't wait to see how that all pans out. Maybe they'll finally get a good Campground entrance?
I personally think DTR is still a good profitable ride, but not enough for two tracks. I say tear it down and make one track with electric go-karts that only uses half the space. Then make that area more accessible so people can reach the temples easier.

Cliffhanger needs to go. Its considered a thrill ride but has been operating like a wet Ferris wheel. Plus we have seen the major downtime it's had since it opened. If only the landscaping could be saved for whatever would replace it.

An unpopular opinion would be Log Flume. The capacity is WAY too small for Lagoon and the one drop it has isn't worth the long wait it always has. Maybe expand and build a new one with a better capacity, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Cliffhanger's landscaping, or at least the water features in the landscaping, are the best part about that ride now and are rarely seen or appreciated because no one rides it and the theater next door is closed.
(12-24-2017, 12:56 AM)Brăden Wrote: Cliffhanger's landscaping, or at least the water features in the landscaping, are the best part about that ride now and are rarely seen or appreciated because no one rides it and the theater next door is closed.

If Cliffhanger gets removed the landscaping should also go.  The pond is horribly designed. The main drain is not located at the lowest part as it should be. The drain is located up the side of the pond wall about 2-3 inches up. This makes draining the pond completely for cleaning impossible.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
Between Cliffhanger and the unused/rotting theater, there is quite a bit of space to put in something cool. If we had accurate measurements of the combined area, I'd bet Ian could come up with a 3d model of "what could fit" in this area (giant discovery, etc?). Might be fun to speculate / dream.
(12-23-2017, 05:16 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: See, I'm completely the opposite on some of the older carnival rides:  I hope they do their best to keep them, because they are some super-classic amusement rides that you just don't find in many places that can be safely ridden anymore.  I mean, I'd still kinda have preferred that if one of them had to get damaged out of commission, it would have been Rock-o first (I loved Roll-o, but have never enjoyed Rock-o).  Sure, you'll find rides like that at the occasional travelling carnival or fair, but... yeah.  No, thanks.  The fact that Lagoon maintains (in both senses of the word) a great mix of modern and classic amusement rides is part of the charm, and I think it'd be a terrible shame if someone at Lagoon ever gets too fond of the idea of throwing away the old to make room for the new.

Except Hydro.  That ride can burn in whatever fires they want destroy it with.

Personally for me, Cliffhanger's the ride that needs to go.  Never had the slightest inkling to ride it; don't like rides that get me wet, and less still rides that spin me for no good reason.  Considering how often Cliffhanger is "waiting for parts from Europe", it may as well make room for a ride that pulls its weight.  It's not new.  It's not classic.  It's just... meh.

And yeah, for all the maintenance nightmare that was Speedway Sr., I'd smile like a big kid to see that hunk of crap come back.  Shame my nephews never got to go on that ride... they'd have been in heaven!

At least it'll have competition in the new & improved South Midway this year!  Can't wait to see how that all pans out.  Maybe they'll finally get a good Campground entrance?

Of course, the thing to remember is that these types of discussions (on what we'd like to see happen as far as either additions or removals) are really just hypothetical, since none of us (at least to the best of my knowledge) have any say in what Lagoon actually does.  I imagine that if we were to do comparative lists on what we'd like to see happen at Lagoon vs. what we think is likely to actually occur at Lagoon, they'd be two somewhat different lists.

Realistically, I'm sure Rock-O-Plane and Paratrooper are probably going to stay around for as long as Lagoon can justify keeping them there from a maintenance perspective, because, like has often been cited with why the Music Theater and Opera House are likely being kept around despite not being used, is that the rides take up very little space, and so it would be hard to find something new to put there if they're removed (and even when it becomes absolutely necessary to remove either ride from a safety or cost standpoint, it's not outside the possibility that Lagoon might, as I call it, "pull a Wild Mouse" - namely, that they'll just build a newer version of the same ride in that location, precisely because of aforementioned space issue).  At least with Hydro Luge, there's always been the possibility of something else being put there, just because, while it's not the biggest ride ever at Lagoon, it's not a small one either, and there's enough surrounding empty space as well (even excluding any sort of northern expansion) to allow for something bigger to be put in.

(12-24-2017, 12:16 PM)gregwibert Wrote: Between Cliffhanger and the unused/rotting theater, there is quite a bit of space to put in something cool. If we had accurate measurements of the combined area, I'd bet Ian could come up with a 3d model of "what could fit" in this area (giant discovery, etc?). Might be fun to speculate / dream.

That's what I've often thought as well, and personally I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Lagoon has never done anything with the land that the Music Theater sits on - it may be possible that they're waiting for a reason to get rid of Cliffhanger as well so that they can develop the entire area at once.
No need for the pond or fountains at Cliffhanger to stay. Just keep the waterfall, the "creek" and trees.
(12-24-2017, 05:58 PM)Brăden Wrote: No need for the pond or fountains at Cliffhanger to stay. Just keep the waterfall, the "creek" and trees.

It's so crazy how no one really has a view of the waterfall (behind/south of Cliffhanger) anymore. What a waste. lol
(12-24-2017, 12:16 PM)gregwibert Wrote: Between Cliffhanger and the unused/rotting theater, there is quite a bit of space to put in something cool. If we had accurate measurements of the combined area, I'd bet Ian could come up with a 3d model of "what could fit" in this area (giant discovery, etc?). Might be fun to speculate / dream.
I have that started already actually. I started it and then stopped. Ill have to work on it again. It is a good chunk of land.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West