The Train Shoppe - Dark Rides and Roller Coasters?
The Train Shoppe will always be primarily for Model Railroading. The attractions are just another thing to draw more people into the Hobby. Garden Railroading, or G Scale or Gauge 1 has really taken a hit over the past decade or so. With LGB, Aristo-Craft, and Caboose Hobbies closing down, with only LGB and Caboose making a comeback recently, there are fewer buyers out there. The Bachmann Spectrum C-19s you can sometimes get for $800 or so, an Accucraft Electric Version still runs upwards of 1k, and the Live Steam Versions for 1.5K. The new Bachmann Spectrum 1:20 Baldwin 2-6-0 Moguls are each just beautiful, and I can hardly wait to see Emerson's Face when he opens Rio Grande #15 "Raton" and sees Raton has been replaced by "Emerson"

Also, the "New" Evermore Park has Zero to do with the Original Plan. In fact, it's really just about making "The Void" Pleasant Grove. I mean, the new plans appear to show a Train Ride. Not to mention how tiny the project is now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(08-31-2017, 02:00 AM)linearinduction Wrote: The Train Shoppe will always be primarily for Model Railroading. The attractions are just another thing to draw more people into the Hobby. Garden Railroading, or G Scale or Gauge 1 has really taken a hit over the past decade or so. With LGB, Aristo-Craft, and Caboose Hobbies closing down, with only LGB and Caboose making a comeback recently, there are fewer buyers out there. The Bachmann Spectrum C-19s you can sometimes get for $800 or so, an Accucraft Electric Version still runs upwards of 1k, and the Live Steam Versions for 1.5K. The new Bachmann Spectrum 1:20 Baldwin 2-6-0 Moguls are each just beautiful, and I can hardly wait to see Emerson's Face when he opens Rio Grande #15 "Raton" and sees Raton has been replaced by "Emerson"

Also, the "New" Evermore Park has Zero to do with the Original Plan. In fact, it's really just about making "The Void" Pleasant Grove. I mean, the new plans appear to show a Train Ride. Not to mention how tiny the project is now.

I don't think the Train Shoppe will ever stop being just that, a train shop. I think the interests of the people behind the stuff in there have progressed into larger ridable versions of the things they've been doing for so long and they won't be able to stop. Once they put that roller coaster in they won't have any remaining space and will have to start looking elsewhere.

I bet you a sugary treat at Lagoon of the winner's choosing that the people at the Train Shoppe open (or announce) an additional business in a different location that is primarily focused on rides/attractions by 2019. They could still include train displays, sell trains in the gift shop, and offer trains as prizes for large numbers of game tickets.

If people wanna get kids interested in model trains, there needs to be fun sets that are cheap enough that parents will buy them. The Takara Tomy stuff in Japan is amazing, it also doesn't hurt that they're modeled after real trains people there ride everyday. Few kids know much about the types of trains I saw in The Train Shoppe, they should create a Frontrunner/Trax/streetcar layout in there.
(08-31-2017, 02:00 AM)linearinduction Wrote: The Train Shoppe will always be primarily for Model Railroading. The attractions are just another thing to draw more people into the Hobby. Garden Railroading, or G Scale or Gauge 1 has really taken a hit over the past decade or so. With LGB, Aristo-Craft, and Caboose Hobbies closing down, with only LGB and Caboose making a comeback recently, there are fewer buyers out there. The Bachmann Spectrum C-19s you can sometimes get for $800 or so, an Accucraft Electric Version still runs upwards of 1k, and the Live Steam Versions for 1.5K. The new Bachmann Spectrum 1:20 Baldwin 2-6-0 Moguls are each just beautiful, and I can hardly wait to see Emerson's Face when he opens Rio Grande #15 "Raton" and sees Raton has been replaced by "Emerson"

The Void was one of the "attractions" to be in Evermore. But with how well the Void is doing on its own I am surprised they would even want to still try Evermore park. I do miss Evermore Park's booth at Comic Con, it was fun to see. I have been skeptical of Evermore since it wasn't going to offer traditional rides. 

(08-31-2017, 05:20 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: I don't think the Train Shoppe will ever stop being just that, a train shop. I think the interests of the people behind the stuff in there have progressed into larger ridable versions of the things they've been doing for so long and they won't be able to stop. Once they put that roller coaster in they won't have any remaining space and will have to start looking elsewhere.

I bet you a sugary treat at Lagoon of the winner's choosing that the people at the Train Shoppe open (or announce) an additional business in a different location that is primarily focused on rides/attractions by 2019. They could still include train displays, sell trains in the gift shop, and offer trains as prizes for large numbers of game tickets.

If people wanna get kids interested in model trains, there needs to be fun sets that are cheap enough that parents will buy them. The Takara Tomy stuff in Japan is amazing, it also doesn't hurt that they're modeled after real trains people there ride everyday. Few kids know much about the types of trains I saw in The Train Shoppe, they should create a Frontrunner/Trax/streetcar layout in there.

I think it would be a cool idea to take the current incarnation Saltair III, since its a sad poor use of the Saltair name and legacy and create a park around it. It would be insanely expensive but I think a park would do well out there again. Help Utahn's rediscover the Great Salt Lake. I think if Saltair had been able to stay open until I-80 was built it might have survived and been around today.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
In your research, did you see anything from the plans they had in mind for bringing it back in the 1980s? I have a picture of a model somewhere. I remember it seemed pretty ambitious.
They've had go karts and waterslides out there when I've gone to concerts there in the past, but they didn't do well. I once went to a concert there when the building was infested with around a million golden orb weaver spiders. It smells horrible and is completely surrounded by mud and dead bugs. It's in the middle of nowhere. As soon as they built the current one it was flooded. Building anything nice on the shore of the lake is a terrible idea IMO.

I think the original two Saltairs are fascinating and I would have loved to see them, but their location sealed their fate.
I agree. Would've been great to experience it in its heyday, but it really doesn't make sense to bring it back in that location.
I've still never been there, will have to go sometime soon, season be open soon can go then with Greg.
(08-31-2017, 09:02 PM)Brăden Wrote: I agree. Would've been great to experience it in its heyday, but it really doesn't make sense to bring it back in that location.

I agree it would be awesome in its heyday. I know its very unfeasible and unlikely it will ever be built out there again. I still think it would be a great location with its proximity to the airport and also as more large companies are moving out that way. It will bring more people out that way and make it less out in the middle of nowhere. Travel to Tooele was always a big money maker for historic Saltair and now with a large population out that way would help also. I did see the plans to rebuild it in the 1980's, I even have a copy of those plans. It was very ambitious and would have been cool. With my research into Saltair, I have come to have a great respect for the place. I wish I had a time machine to be able to visit it. It truly was a treasure.

Ignore the broken link below.
[url=https://rcdb.com/12524.htm][/url]

(08-31-2017, 09:28 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: ...It will bring more people out that way and make it less out in the middle of nowhere...

No worries, the new Utah State Prison is literally filling that gap!  Laugh

Yeah, the lake is... problematic... to build on.  Always has been, always will.  Well, I mean in human time scales, not geologic ones.  At some point in the long run, she's going the way of Lake Bonneville, I'm afraid.  Drove out to Antelope Island a couple of weeks ago... it was startling to see just how little water there is in Farmington Bay these days.  At least Gilbert Bay is doing a bit better, but still man, the lake is in a tough way short of three or four record winters in a row.
(08-31-2017, 10:22 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: No worries, the new Utah State Prison is literally filling that gap!  Laugh

Yeah, the lake is... problematic... to build on.  Always has been, always will.  Well, I mean in human time scales, not geologic ones.  At some point in the long run, she's going the way of Lake Bonneville, I'm afraid.  Drove out to Antelope Island a couple of weeks ago... it was startling to see just how little water there is in Farmington Bay these days.  At least Gilbert Bay is doing a bit better, but still man, the lake is in a tough way short of three or four record winters in a row.

As much as I would like to see it rebuilt. I understand why it will never happen besides in my respect for the sites history its kind of nice leave the site as is kind of like the wreck of the Titanic. It would be nice if there was a memorial small monument out there or something to tell the history. Its awesome to hike out to the site and explore especially since I know the exact locations of each of the coasters. Through my research, like I said above, I have come to appreciate Saltair and the impact it has had on Utah history. One of my main goals through my documentary is to help more people gain a respect for Historic Saltair and to not despise and deride it. I have discovered that many people deride and despise the place, but after explaining about Historic Saltair most of which never knew it existed and only think of the current incarnation, now if you deride and despise the current incarnation I am in full agreement there as it has become is a dump not worthy of the name or legacy of Saltair, after explaining about Historic Saltair majority don't deride it anymore and they even ask me more questions about it.

Back on topic for this thread though. Lagoon does need some decent comparable sized competition as it would give more options for people to choose from and would only make Lagoon better because they would have to strive for local business. I'd love to see a Herschend Family Entertainment start a park here in Utah, very far fetched but that is who I would like to see make a 2nd park here in Utah.