Sky Coaster
(08-06-2017, 09:34 PM)Spy Hunter Wrote: Greg what about u, how many times have u rode it?

Not much. I won't pay the $15.00. It's not worth it to me. I'm with Luke, it should be included. Lagoon has more than made their money back. I also don't ride the go-carts or play any of the games either.
(08-06-2017, 08:45 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: In all the time the X-venture zone has existed, I once paid to ride the go karts. They weren't as fun as Speedway Sr. Never been on any of the other up charge rides even once. When Lagoon Includes them with admission I'll give them a try.

Sorry to hear about a bad experience on DTR but that' every ones experience sadly. They are too Neutered to be any fun. The only time I had fun on them is when I was paid to deliberately crash them during the training of new operators in 2004. Other than that every other ride is blah on them. 

(08-07-2017, 06:51 AM)gregwibert Wrote: Not much. I won't pay the $15.00. It's not worth it to me. I'm with Luke, it should be included. Lagoon has more than made their money back. I also don't ride the go-carts or play any of the games either.

I doubt Lagoon ever includes any of the X-Venture zone attractions. They are an up-charge not to pay for the ride but as a line deterrent for capacity. I've worked both Sky Coaster and Catapult on super busy days when they have a line and its hard to get the line down. Both these rides have no where the rider through put that other rides at Lagoon has. If I remember correctly its 8 flights a half hour on Sky coaster with both towers operating is its max through put and that is the operators moving faster than fast. So if your doing 3 people on all those flights that's a max of 48 people an hour. Catapults through put is just as bad if not worse especially with re-rides (but those aren't offered on busy days). Also Sky Coaster has to be certified by Sky Coaster every year and I'd assume Lagoon uses some of the money made from the up charge to pay for that. If Lagoon doesn't certify it they can't operate it. 15 bucks for Sky Coaster is so worth it.

I wish I had ridden the one Stan Checketts had in Logan but I skipped it cause I ran out of money riding all his other rides up there. His sky Coaster used the rolling loading and unloading platform instead of the Hydraulic lift like Lagoon now uses.

Luckily he had one of his Totally Insane/Sky Sling Rides set up in logan and that was money well spent. These rides had issues and which is why you don't see them around any more. The original ride had seats that were basically a horse saddle with seat belt straps at all park installs they were modified with OTSR's. The version Stan set up in Logan had 4 seats with the modified OTSR's and 2 seats with the horse saddle type restraints. When I rode it, I figured go big or go  home and rode the horse saddle seats. It felt like you had no restraint and was one of the best thrill rides I've been on. The video below is the best I could find on the ride in Logan, it shows the horse saddle type restraint really well. If you watch from the beginning it shows the Sonic Boom drop tower as well which was awesome. Sorry really off topic.

[video=youtube]
[/video]
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
It's true. The line gets so long with an upcharge I can't imagine how long it would get if it were included in the price.

The one time I went to Logan (long before I lived in Utah) while Celebration Centre was open all the rides were closed because of rain so all we could do was play miniature golf. Frown
(08-07-2017, 02:55 PM)Brăden Wrote: It's true. The line gets so long with an upcharge I can't imagine how long it would get if it were included in the price.

The one time I went to Logan (long before I lived in Utah) while Celebration Centre was open all the rides were closed because of rain so all we could do was play miniature golf. Frown

That sucks dude. Celebration center was fun. I did everything there except the Sky Coaster. Sonic Boom is still the best drop ride I have been on.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
Lagoon's Sky Coaster, as operated, can do 5's and 6's, which means 5-6 Flights Per Flight Line every 15 Minutes. At Cedar Point, charging the $35 (1 Flyer)/$40 (2 Flyers)/$45 (3 Flyers) Rate, and how RipCord was operated, we did 9's and 10's.

Besides the Site Certification each year, there is also Site Controller Trainings (Which grant the card holder free flights on any Sky Coaster), and Extensive Controller/Assistant Controller, Expeditor, and Flight Suiter Trainings. Beyond that, there's the cost of Flight Suits, which must be sent into Sky Coaster each year for Inspection and Pass that Inspection, to be sent back to the site for use. Flight Suits must be Replaced every 10 Years (Lagoon does it every 5), not cheap to do, and Inspects them Daily (Required at least Weekly), and washes them regularly. Lagoon maintains THE BEST Sky Coaster and Operations of any park in the World, which is why Sky Coaster, Inc. uses Lagoon's Sky Coaster for Site Manager Trainings. I won't even get into the BS that Cedar Point pulled on RipCord back in 2001, but let's just say the Sky Coaster Manual went from pristine pages, to frayed pages, in a month. Not to mention how the 4 of us from Lagoon kept notes (Serial Numbers) of which Flight Suits we pulled, because we inspected them once a week (which wasn't happening when we arrived in August), because the TL and Blue Tags would put them back on the racks. After talking to the Managers, when we (From Lagoon) would pull them, we'd hand them to them to be destroyed.

I also operated the Prototype S&S Power Absolutely Insane, Serial Number #0001, Cedar Point named VertiGo. The ride had issues, some disconcerting.....enough so that the ride was closed for several days for new Harnesses, and because the locks would flash green (unlocked) at the top of the ride on the PLC. Once the problems were solved, I finally rode it, and the "Oh doodie!" Cycle (Yes, it said "Oh doodie!" on the Screen when "Big Bang Plus" was selected) was Balls to the Wall Insane! Some of the operational issues was balancing the cart could be a Censored, and the air hose connection sucked a lot. Then there was the issue that the Poles were 265' Tall and you couldn't mount wind gauges to them, and you couldn't operate in winds over 35MPH. So we relied on Magnum's "205ft" Lift Hill wind speed monitor, and guessed what the wind speed was at the top. We broke several runners made of 1" thick steel operating in too high of winds, and often joked about the poles snapping. S&S's winter closing procedure was to attach the cables from the poles to the anchor in the center of the pad, and as many know, this led to Vortex Shredding and Catastrophic Structural Failure in one Pole, because winds off Lake Erie weren't taken into account in the Winter Closing Procedures from S&S. S&S ended up eating the Cost of Absolutely Insane #0001 (Cedar Point) and #0003 (Knott's), their removal, Free Screamin' Swing to Knott's, and Discount on Sky Hawk at Cedar Point.

Sonic Boom was THE BEST Drop Ride I ever Rode, and am thankful I got to ride it Twice. Nothing like going on a 350' Drop Tower with absolutely no Brakes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(08-07-2017, 06:03 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Lagoon's Sky Coaster, as operated, can do 5's and 6's, which means 5-6 Flights Per Flight Line every 15 Minutes....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you!!! As someone who was a Site Controller at Sky Coaster back when we had to manually push the carts to the end of the track each flight, it irks me to no end how slow ops at Sky Coaster is these days.  Even pushing the carts out (way before the hydraulic platforms were installed), we easily pushed 4-5 flights per 15-minute window per side back in '95-'96, and that was with the extra requirement of being DJs over the speaker system busking for paid riders while we were running flights and trying not to trip over the Merchandise cameramen.

No offense, but today's operators up there are lazy as  Censored and should feel bad.  And I won't even talk about the fact that Rides won't schedule enough people to work a 2nd tower before 5, regardless of volume.  I've literally gotten out of line and gotten a refund once in the last couple of seasons on account of how long the line was and how slow they were moving.