KMG Fireball incident @ Ohio State Fair
So, looks like KMG is blaming excessive corrosion leading to diminished steel thickness as the cause of the structural failure. I remember having a gut reaction when I first saw the photos of the interior of the attachment point on the carrier itself that it appeared heavily corroded, but figured I might just be seeing things.

If that's the case, it's extra-sad that NDT didn't find that last Fall during testing. I bet all the older model Fireballs (prior to the redesign to avoid water ingress) are going to be getting sliced open & reworked.

http://fox13now.com/2017/08/06/deadly-ac...ide-maker/
I saw this story today too. I was wondering who would be liable / at-fault in this case? Is it the responsibility of the carnies or the ride manufacturer to inspect for corrosion?
NDT should have discovered the diminished steel thickness, right? I'm sure it might end up being like the Samurai Gondola Stress Fractures several years ago, where steel plates were welded as patches, on all other Top Scans as well, as I understand. Also, shouldn't the NDT have detected the diminished steel thickness?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(08-06-2017, 05:07 PM)linearinduction Wrote: NDT should have discovered the diminished steel thickness, right?  I'm sure it might end up being like the Samurai Gondola Stress Fractures several years ago, where steel plates were welded as patches, on all other Top Scans as well, as I understand. Also, shouldn't the NDT have detected the diminished steel thickness?

That's what I was wondering about, too.  Unless the type of NDT they did wasn't checking material thickness & only looking for cracks or other defects.  I'm not familiar enough with NDT techniques to know if one does the other or not.

The only other thing is maybe they just did spot-checks during NDT or didn't completely test all members (only a sample) or something similar... definitely strange.

Especially considering KMG redesigned later models of the ride specifically to avoid water ingress into that area, it sure makes you wonder why there weren't procedures in place on older models to specifically check for that.  Or maybe there were & they just got missed.
We will certainly find out, as the investigation continues.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island