Roller Coaster Discussion
Rode Roller Coaster tonight and didn't experience anything out of the ordinary going into reduction. Where we were you riding in the train? Train 2 in the back row felt just fine tonight.

Also, there are around half a dozen 10' to 20' pre built bents out by the warehouse. The only places those are used would be Reduction, the bottom of drops/bottom of hills, the double ups, and double downs. I think the only part of Roller Coaster without the new pad foundations and hasn't been rebuilt in recent memory is the section from the final double down to reduction.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(10-29-2017, 01:24 AM)linearinduction Wrote: Rode Roller Coaster tonight and didn't experience anything out of the ordinary going into reduction. Where we were you riding in the train? Train 2 in the back row felt just fine tonight.

Also, there are around half a dozen 10' to 20' pre built bents out by the warehouse. The only places those are used would be Reduction, the bottom of drops/bottom of hills, the double ups, and double downs. I think the only part of Roller Coaster without the new pad foundations and hasn't been rebuilt in recent memory is the section from the final double down to reduction.

I was in the front car each time.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(10-28-2017, 05:00 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Rode today for the first time since April, and reduction itself wasn't too bad... but I think the operators running it were being a bit sloppy on the brakes.  We had a couple of pretty good slams coming out of reduction and into the station.

lol

I witnessed the ride op overshoot the station by a few feet this year. She sent the train around again (2nd ride for those on board... yay). I guess there isn't a way (or at least she couldn't figure it out) to back the train up?
Going into reduction in the front is always a little harsher because you are being pushed by the weight of the train.

There is no reverse on the push motor. Was it raining hard when this happened? If not, it was just an operator not paying attention or being new. I'm proud to say I NEVER overshot the station in my 3 years operating the ride.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
I've heard that new trains are probably coming, either Millennium Flyers or something from ART Engineering. Anybody want to place their bets?
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(10-29-2017, 03:45 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: I've heard that new trains are probably coming, either Millennium Flyers or something from ART Engineering. Anybody want to place their bets?

I would love GCI to retrack the coaster and add their millenium flyers. Doubt that will happen. I do think if Lagoon worked with ART engineering and came up with a custom wood roller coaster train that would be sweet. They need seats and restraints that Saltairs Giant Racer had.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
I passed Lagoon today and noticed the station roof is gone. I couldn't see much else, but it was weird not seeing the curved metal roof among the trees.
(11-07-2017, 06:17 PM)Willenator Wrote: I passed Lagoon today and noticed the station roof is gone. I couldn't see much else, but it was weird not seeing the curved metal roof among the trees.

Huh... well... I don't know how I feel about that.
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(11-07-2017, 06:17 PM)Willenator Wrote: I passed Lagoon today and noticed the station roof is gone. I couldn't see much else, but it was weird not seeing the curved metal roof among the trees.

I never thought about it before, but I think that pretty much makes sense.  Even if the rumors about the new magnetic brakes doesn't pan out, there's still going to have to be quite a bit of an overhaul on the station to accommodate the new trains.  New sensors are easy enough to install in-place, but I'd bet we're getting a new lap bar release system (I wish I knew more about GCI trains, but I'd be willing to bet they're different enough from PTC's trains to not be jelly bean) at the very least, and possibly new push motors.  The old station lap bar mechanisms can probably be lifted out by hand with some effort, but the push motors will need a crane, and I'm guessing the new mag brakes will, too.  May be light enough they can be ghetto-craned with a JLG, but I'm betting it'll be a lot easier to winch stuff in & out through the roof.

The nostalgic bloke in me will miss the old round-topped station (I'm still bitter about the track map), but now I'm starting to get excited that Roller Coaster might have a new, modernized station to take it into its second century of operations.

Now that you (well, I) mention it, really kinda surprising they're not waiting a few years to do all of this for the 100th anniversary.  I guess they figure they'll be busy during 2020 or something.  Tongue
How much of the roof was gone, Will? Just the corrugated metal or the red beams also?