The Lost History of Saltair -A Book and Documentary Project
"Saltair’s giant racer, and engineering triumph for the 1920s, thrilled riders as they zoomed precariously over the Great Salt Lake. Even though the Hippodrome burned down in 1925, the giant racer remained unharmed. This $100,00 structure met its demise when 75 mph winds blew it down in a mere three minutes on August 30, 1957.

As one workman put it in McCormick’s Saltair, “it was like giant matchsticks crumbling.”"

Paragraphs like this one above from the Utah State Division of History are all that has ever been written about the roller coasters of Saltair. Its really sad and depressing, which is why in my book there is 50 pages of information plus more pages of pictures of these coasters to finally after 125 years get the story correct.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
What's the Hippodrome?
(10-24-2018, 08:28 PM)goldgold Wrote: What's the Hippodrome?

The Hippodrome was a building built for holding indoor bike races at Saltair. Soon after its construction bike racing fell out of popularity and the building was used for many different events and attractions over the years until it was lost in the Saltair fire of 1925. The building was once advertised as being able to seat 50,000 people. The building has a great history and a more in depth coverage of it will be in my book.

(10-24-2018, 09:47 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: The Hippodrome was a building built for holding indoor bike races at Saltair. Soon after its construction bike racing fell out of popularity and the building was used for many different events and attractions over the years until it was lost in the Saltair fire of 1925. The building was once advertised as being able to seat 50,000 people. The building has a great history and a more in depth coverage of it will be in my book.
Further, a "Hippodrome" is an ancient Greek stadium for horse races and chariot races. This is why the Kentucky Derby, Belmont Stakes, Preakness Stakes, and other Horse Racing Venues are the shape they are.

*Insert a GIF of NBC's "The More You Know" PSA Graphic*

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Surprised you didn't mention the part about the word root hippo- coming from the Latin hippos meaning horse. Happy
(10-25-2018, 09:38 AM)Brăden Wrote: Surprised you didn't mention the part about the word root hippo- coming from the Latin hippos meaning horse. Happy

LOL

(10-24-2018, 11:28 PM)linearinduction Wrote: *Insert a GIF of NBC's "The More You Know" PSA Graphic*

Just for you Sid:

[Image: themoreyouknow.gif]
(10-25-2018, 09:38 AM)Brăden Wrote: Surprised you didn't mention the part about the word root hippo- coming from the Latin hippos meaning horse. Happy
Since we weren't talking about Horses, just the origin of a "Hippodrome," it felt a little much. lol
(10-25-2018, 11:25 AM)Willenator Wrote: Just for you Sid:

[Image: themoreyouknow.gif]
Thank You Will!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
[Image: c0317e176b31d6b23beabbd95c6b0429.jpg]

Yesterday, I got my hands on this large print of Saltair II. Even though its familiar and common image of the resort, I'm still happy to have it in my collection.

One feature that my book will have is a good semi detailed section on the previous bathing resorts that came before Saltair. This is intended to give a solid background to the readers to help better understand why Saltair was the way it was. Part of this section of the book, the exact locations or at least as close as possible will be told. I have narrowed down where the first of these resorts, Lake Side, was located by using all surviving information about its location. An exact location, may never be told but I believe I am extremely close to where it was.

Just a small update on the progress of the book. I am very soon going to be submitting my proposal to a publisher. I have gotten all the requirements set that they require for a book idea and I should be submitting that very soon.