Boy thrown from water slide in California
Don't know how may people have heard about this, but a boy was injured when he was tossed off a water slide at a new water park in the Bay Area of California.

A TV news segment, with a text article with a bit more information below it:

http://6abc.com/news/boys-frightening-to...o/2046885/
Looks like his weight was a factor as he just skipped along the water in the shut down lane/run-out. This is also a very sensationalized article...must have been a very slow news day. Is Trump golfing again so there's no Twitter ranting? lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(05-29-2017, 02:55 AM)linearinduction Wrote: Looks like his weight was a factor as he just skipped along the water in the shut down lane/run-out.

From what I've read on a couple of other sites about this story, that is the prevailing theory as to how it happened - he just happened to he the "right" weight to do a sort of hydroplaning at the bottom, and it flipped him out of the slide.

(05-29-2017, 02:55 AM)linearinduction Wrote: This is also a very sensationalized article...must have been a very slow news day.

I didn't really think so myself, though my youngest nephew (who's a fan of playing in the water) is 10 years old (like the boy in the story), so this may in some ways "hit home" for me more than it might for some here (because I think about how that could have been my nephew in the story, instead of some random kid 2 states away; it looked to me that if the kid in this case had gone off the slide at a different angle, he could have landed on his head for a very different outcome).

In some ways, though, it sounds like the original video of the accident had already gone viral, so the various news outlets were doing more in-depth coverage of it just to let everyone know that the kid is all right aside from a few nasty scrapes (and of course, if he's like most 10 year old boys, he's probably going to be showing off any scars once school starts in the fall), since I imagine that many people who hear about it are going to think of the incident last year (referred to in the written article) about the boy who was killed on a waterslide.
(05-29-2017, 08:18 PM)Gregory Wrote: From what I've read on a couple of other sites about this story, that is the prevailing theory as to how it happened - he just happened to he the "right" weight to do a sort of hydroplaning at the bottom, and it flipped him out of the slide.

I didn't really think so myself, though my youngest nephew (who's a fan of playing in the water) is 10 years old (like the boy in the story), so this may in some ways "hit home" for me more than it might for some here (because I think about how that could have been my nephew in the story, instead of some random kid 2 states away; it looked to me that if the kid in this case had gone off the slide at a different angle, he could have landed on his head for a very different outcome).

In some ways, though, it sounds like the original video of the accident had already gone viral, so the various news outlets were doing more in-depth coverage of it just to let everyone know that the kid is all right aside from a few nasty scrapes (and of course, if he's like most 10 year old boys, he's probably going to be showing off any scars once school starts in the fall), since I imagine that many people who hear about it are going to think of the incident last year (referred to in the written article) about the boy who was killed on a waterslide.
One of the reasons the boy wasn't injured badly is because he was in the proper riding position. This is why it's important to listen to slide ride attendants in water parks. There are also many videos on YouTube of this sort of incident on slide shut down lanes, which is why I made the comment this is being sensationalized. The media is foaming at the mouth each spring to begin their "Amusement Park/Water Park Rides are Dangerous and will Kill You" stories for the summer.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
It's in the best interests of both the public and the amusement park industry to have fully open reporting in the press of any incidents at amusement parks. Hiding or stifling information would create distrust and the information would be much more damning and widespread if discovered. People should understand that there is some risk involved in riding a waterside just like there is in any physical activity.

I'm glad he's OK, he hit the concrete going pretty fast.
Click here for eternal salvation.

(05-29-2017, 11:51 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: It's in the best interests of both the public and the amusement park industry to have fully open reporting in the press of any incidents at amusement parks. Hiding or stifling information would create distrust and the information would be much more damning and widespread if discovered. People should understand that there is some risk involved in riding a waterside just like there is in any physical activity.

I'm glad he's OK, he hit the concrete going pretty fast.
Fortunately, Most incidents of coming out of the shut down lane result in bruises and road rash and not more serious injuries.

Now, just my personal opinion here, but if I owned and/or managed a Water Park, I would have high sides on all drops as well as the first third of a shut down lane. The only problem with that however, is if you needed to rescue someone and or put them on a backboard and they are in that area of the shut down lane. Surely, some sort of easily removable high sides would be required.