Dracula's Castle Reimagined in 2̶0̶1̶8̶ 2019?
(08-09-2018, 10:09 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Maybe I shouldn't ask for details, but I now I gotta know if you trained to evacuate people from the spinning tunnel.

Depends where the fire is.  If it's between the tunnel and the exit, you'd get the riders out and walk them back to the door right at the start of the tunnels that exits into the Maintenance shop, then right out the front of the ride.  If it's interior to the ride and the power's off, you just put your shoulder into it & push them out as fast as you can, as I recall.
(08-10-2018, 04:31 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: It's funny to me that anybody would like the owl. I always hated him. His puns were not funny. He wasn't originally part of the ride and I was annoyed when they added him. I could probably regress and pull his original dialogue out of memory if I meditated on it for a bit. I agree that after years of hearing his old voice the new one doesn't seem right. He's also kind of a cutesy stuffed animal and the corny voice matches him a lot better than the new more serious voice. I love what they did with Terroride's vulture, which sucked before 2017, but I just don't see any hope for the owl to turn out nearly as cool no matter what they might do.
I also always hated the owl. The voice sounded like a Rodney Dangerfield impersonator. I also (obviously) like what they did with the vulture but I hope the owl goes when they redo Castle.
(08-09-2018, 12:36 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: What do you think is the scariest thing in Dracula's Castle?

What is your favorite thing in Dracula's Castle?

What memory of Dracula's Castle sticks out the most?

Once some people answer then I'll answer too.

I think the scariest thing is probably the screaming picture at the end of the hall.

My favorite thing is definitely the skull waterfall.

I still remember the first time I rode it at 5 years old. I had been to Lagoon many times before but was always too afraid to go on it. My parents sat on either side of me to protect me. I thought we would go upstairs and see Dracula in his living room. In the end it was less scary than I had expected.

(08-11-2018, 12:25 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Depends where the fire is.  If it's between the tunnel and the exit, you'd get the riders out and walk them back to the door right at the start of the tunnels that exits into the Maintenance shop, then right out the front of the ride.  If it's interior to the ride and the power's off, you just put your shoulder into it & push them out as fast as you can, as I recall.

Pushing a car out during a fire seems insane to me. I'm guessing if they have you pushing even in a dangerous situation my dream of the ride breaking while I'm in it and getting the chance to walk out is never gonna happen.

So, uh, can you (or anybody) tell me about any accessible areas behind the facade? Are there spiral staircases up to the two front turrets? Do you have any idea what the barred opening on the west front turret is all about? I've heard there's an area behind the windows that can be accessed, but does it serve any purpose? Is there any way to access the two rear turrets? One of them has a door on it and the other has some vents or something, any idea what that's all about?
I like dark rides and I love tacos

Here's a pic of some of the stuff I'm talking about
[Image: attachment.php?aid=813]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The trees could probably use a little trimming, but I think it helps create a sense of mystery not to have every detail immediately visible.
(08-12-2018, 10:45 PM)Brăden Wrote: ...I think it helps create a sense of mystery not to have every detail immediately visible.

Must not make DABC joke...
(08-12-2018, 10:45 PM)Brăden Wrote: The trees could probably use a little trimming, but I think it helps create a sense of mystery not to have every detail immediately visible.

Having hidden things to discover definitely adds to the mystery of the ride. I've been looking at this facade a lot and I think that Bill Tracy took that into account when designing it. I think he had a well though out plan to give multiple views. Mainly, a full forced-perspective view showing all four turrets and the figures inside the front turrets from the lower central plaza, a closer view in the upper plaza and queue area where we can see into the windows and see the medusa/snakes details, and a bunch of hidden details and sculpted images  that you'll only ever notice if you're really looking for things from various angles near the front of the ride.

I think Bill Tracy though of it as a centerpiece for Lagoon, basically Lagoon's equivalent of the Castle at Disneyland. That full forced-perspective view was meant to draw people in and then present them with the more detailed view. It's pretty genius and awesome, but I think Tracy's intent has been lost over the years as the trees have grown.

Here's a map, check it out sometime:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=814]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-12-2018, 11:51 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Having hidden things to discover definitely adds to the mystery of the ride. I've been looking at this facade a lot and I think that Bill Tracy took that into account when designing it. I think he had a well though out plan to give multiple views. Mainly, a full forced-perspective view showing all four turrets and the figures inside the front turrets from the lower central plaza, a closer view in the upper plaza and queue area where we can see into the windows and see the medusa/snakes details, and a bunch of hidden details and sculpted images  that you'll only ever notice if you're really looking for things from various angles near the front of the ride.

I think Bill Tracy though of it as a centerpiece for Lagoon, basically Lagoon's equivalent of the Castle at Disneyland. That full forced-perspective view was meant to draw people in and then present them with the more detailed view. It's pretty genius and awesome, but I think Tracy's intent has been lost over the years as the trees have grown.

Here's a map, check it out sometime:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=814]

Lagoon just needs a redesigned entrance gate and maybe who designs it could incorporate Castle into to be more of a show piece.
It is kind of forgotten about anymore.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(08-13-2018, 12:23 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Lagoon just needs a redesigned entrance gate and maybe who designs it could incorporate Castle into to be more of a show piece.
It is kind of forgotten about anymore.

Yeah, or if they move the entrance they definitely should 'move' some trees and get rid of the coke booth and the bounceback booth and make it a plaza and viewing area for Dracula's Castle. You can only see the big showpiece view from that one specific spot, so anything focused on highlighting the castle needs to be there. There's a pretty good pic at http://lagoonhistory.com/project/attract...as-castle/ showing the amount of tree cover in the 80's, just the way I remember it as a kid. I think bringing back the castle view would be a great trip to the past on the same level as bringing back the Terroride mural.

(08-13-2018, 12:33 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: Yeah, or if they move the entrance they definitely should 'move' some trees and get rid of the coke booth and the bounceback booth and make it a plaza and viewing area for Dracula's Castle. You can only see the big showpiece view from that one specific spot, so anything focused on highlighting the castle needs to be there. There's a pretty good pic at http://lagoonhistory.com/project/attract...as-castle/ showing the amount of tree cover in the 80's, just the way I remember it as a kid. I think bringing back the castle view would be a great trip to the past on the same level as bringing back the Terroride mural.

That would be cool, but man I love that Coke Refresh Stand....  Wink