New Terrace Reservation Fee
I found out today they are now charging a Terrace Reservation Fee of $50. Do you think this will keep a lot of groups from coming to Lagoon? I think there are at least a couple reasons behind this. Extra income is the obvious one, but I also wonder if they're trying to discourage small groups like family reunions, etc. I'm also wondering if this means unreserved terraces are no longer fair game. I can understand they would want to charge a fee - I was actually more surprised when I found out they didn't charge a reservation fee before - but it seems like the fee should depend on the size of the terrace.

http://www.lagoonpark.com/groups/ (fee listed on the bottom of the page)
(03-25-2017, 07:06 PM)Brăden Wrote: I found out today they are now charging a Terrace Reservation Fee of $50. Do you think this will keep a lot of groups from coming to Lagoon? I think there are at least a couple reasons behind this. Extra income is the obvious one, but I also wonder if they're trying to discourage small groups like family reunions, etc. I'm also wondering if this means unreserved terraces are no longer fair game. I can understand they would want to charge a fee - I was actually more surprised when I found out they didn't charge a reservation fee before - but it seems like the fee should depend on the size of the terrace.

I wish Lagoon would be more willing to wheel and deal with groups. My employer would love to do a Lagoon day but Lagoon won't budge on price.

I don't really like the reservation fee idea. We shall see how it plays out.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
Well if you can still bring in outside food, the pavilions would still be free game.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
(03-25-2017, 07:06 PM)Brăden Wrote: I found out today they are now charging a Terrace Reservation Fee of $50. Do you think this will keep a lot of groups from coming to Lagoon? I think there are at least a couple reasons behind this. Extra income is the obvious one, but I also wonder if they're trying to discourage small groups like family reunions, etc. I'm also wondering if this means unreserved terraces are no longer fair game. I can understand they would want to charge a fee - I was actually more surprised when I found out they didn't charge a reservation fee before - but it seems like the fee should depend on the size of the terrace.

This is one reason why we are no longer having monthly Potlucks...that and the attendance drop since 2015.

Lagoon has been doing what no other park has for a very long time with not collecting a fee for Picnic Terrace Reservations, and this will no doubt clear up Terraces for Group Sales, which is Lagoon's Bread and Butter. If this fee helps to build a larger group sales base and/or catering, that only equals more revenue for the park, which means more capital expenditures and growth.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Attendance drop since Cannibal came around? I find that hard to believe.

(03-29-2017, 04:12 PM)RCF Wrote: Attendance drop since Cannibal came around? I find that hard to believe.

I think he means "drop in attendance to the LIF potlucks", not to the park in general.
Well, the Lagoon website does also make the following note: "Fee will be waived if the Group is participating in a Lagoon Catered Meal or purchases Lagoon Meal Deals."

Now, I can kind of understand their mentality about charging a reservation fee. Certainly it could produce extra income in other areas besides jacking up the admission prices.

But at the same time, I wonder, why the pavilions? It seems that in the past, when I've gone on my local LDS stake's Stake Lagoon Day, we've always had a terrace reserved for us, but whenever I'd go by the specific one in question it would always be virtually empty. It does seem kind of silly - that's the main reason why I think that Lagoon should remove the Music Theatre and put something else in its place. Although the drawbacks can, as noted, put a kink in any sort of potluck like groups like LIF would do, and I wouldn't be surprised if (just to continue UtahCoasterEnth's comment) it winds up driving away companies who might want to do a work Lagoon day for their employees but who are already hesitant about spending lots of money on just the admission and parking to begin with, even if they aren't springing for any other amenities.

As a side thought, though, I've sometimes thought they've had too many terraces and pavilions (thanks to the website Internet Wayback Machine, I was able to visit older "versions" of the Lagoon website and was able to pull up older maps of the park, and according to the most recent map I could find from the website has 37 terraces and pavilions), so a part of me is perhaps wondering if Lagoon is seeing just how much of a demand there really are for them, to see if they could perhaps remove some of them for something else (now, granted, I don't know that - sometimes my brain does come up with these crazy little theories). Anybody else think that Lagoon could do with less terraces and pavilions, or is it just me?
Group Sales are Lagoon's Bread and Butter. All Terraces are Booked and Full on most Fridays and Saturdays. Some larger companies even take over entire areas of multiple Terraces. If Lagoon actually had trouble booking all of those Terraces, we wouldn't have had to move dates in previous years during Frightmares in October because there were no Terraces available, or had been clear back in the Cascade Terrace in October 2015, because there were only 3 left. Now, while the new Honey Locust Terrace can be used for a 6th Haunt, it also replaced two of Lagoon's smallest Terraces with a much larger one, which indicates groups requiring larger Terraces is growing.

Also, many of us SEAPs visit the park in the evenings, usually after Groups have Used their Terrace, Eaten, and Split, so they may look "unused," even on Fridays and Saturdays. You wouldn't think such a crazy thing could happen....Like catering at 1pm and everyone gone by 5pm, but we've seen it multiple times.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(03-29-2017, 09:32 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Group Sales are Lagoon's Bread and Butter. All Terraces are Booked and Full on most Fridays and Saturdays. Some larger companies even take over entire areas of multiple Terraces. If Lagoon actually had trouble booking all of those Terraces, we wouldn't have had to move dates in previous years during Frightmares in October because there were no Terraces available, or had been clear back in the Cascade Terrace in October 2015, because there were only 3 left. Now, while the new Honey Locust Terrace can be used for a 6th Haunt, it also replaced two of Lagoon's smallest Terraces with a much larger one, which indicates groups requiring larger Terraces is growing.

Also, many of us SEAPs visit the park in the evenings, usually after Groups have Used their Terrace, Eaten, and Split, so they may look "unused," even on Fridays and Saturdays. You wouldn't think such a crazy thing could happen....Like catering at 1pm and everyone gone by 5pm, but we've seen it multiple times.

Yeah, I figured there was a possibility that I was just looking at the wrong times (I'm sure stake Lagoon days aren't very coordinated in anything beyond getting the coupons handed out beforehand, so it would be no real surprised that the terraces reserved for that would often look empty).  I think, though, that it makes it all the more of a bummer that Lagoon is charging $50 for reservations, especially since the terraces wouldn't be used all that long by the groups reserving them for more formal get-togethers of the type you're referring to.  As UtahCoasterEnth pointed out, Lagoon's already asking so much that at least some employers aren't willing to do work Lagoon days for their employees, which I'd imagine really only hurts Lagoon from a financial standpoint.  (At the very least, Lagoon should drop the price - $10-$20 could at least be understandable, but not $50!)
You could just go sit in an unoccupied area / see if anyone from security kicks you out. I've seen many general public guests make themselves at home in the LIF reserved terrace over the years.  Rolleyes