Opening Day 2017
(03-26-2017, 11:33 PM)linearinduction Wrote: I would say the new Mural is being done by a Graffiti Artist, and that may be his Signature. Watching the guy do the one at Cowabunga Bay in 2010 was very cool. My favorite part about the new ride construction is the effort to blend in the planter boxes and retaining walls to the old Golf Fun/Putter Around the Park Fountain/Planter. I'm willing to bet, given the size of the Ruka Safari Ride Enclosure, that it will be a Zamperla Jump Around, one of their best sellers. It will be interesting to see which definition of "Ruka" Lagoon goes with.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I was told exactly that -- apparently this is one of Julie's ideas, and they're looking to do similar art in other areas around the park.  They brought in graffiti artists, bought them the paint they asked for, and let them at it.  The back of the roof was done so that it can only be seen from certain places between buildings, etc., to hide the plain facades & such.  Will be cool to see where else in the park gets a splash of color!

Definitely love the way the midway flows with the planter boxes, too... can't wait to see that area finished & open.

Edit: Speaking of "Ruka", I hadn't looked that up before. Considering it's Swahili for "jump" or "bounce" or "hop"... well, I mean, it's just super-convenient, right? Wink
I don't know if painting the shingles was a good idea. The paint always seems to wear faster on them. Guess we'll find out.
(03-28-2017, 12:01 AM)Brăden Wrote: I don't know if painting the shingles was a good idea. The paint always seems to wear faster on them. Guess we'll find out.

Yeah, wood shingles & paint rarely mix well.

Speaking of, did you hear about the plans for the underside of Flying Tigers' roof?
(03-27-2017, 10:32 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: I was told exactly that -- apparently this is one of Julie's ideas, and they're looking to do similar art in other areas around the park.  They brought in graffiti artists, bought them the paint they asked for, and let them at it.  The back of the roof was done so that it can only be seen from certain places between buildings, etc., to hide the plain facades & such.  Will be cool to see where else in the park gets a splash of color!

Definitely love the way the midway flows with the planter boxes, too... can't wait to see that area finished & open.

Edit: Speaking of "Ruka", I hadn't looked that up before. Considering it's Swahili for "jump" or "bounce" or "hop"... well, I mean, it's just super-convenient, right? Wink
I was referring to the other definitions of "Ruka." 😐
(03-28-2017, 12:01 AM)Brăden Wrote: I don't know if painting the shingles was a good idea. The paint always seems to wear faster on them. Guess we'll find out.
"Spray Paint" isn't the same as Exterior Paint, so I'm willing to bet this mural looks good for a while.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(03-28-2017, 12:39 AM)linearinduction Wrote: I was referring to the other definitions of "Ruka." ?

You mean those you might find on urban-type dictionaries?  I'll admit that I'm not super familiar with all of the various & sundry definitions of the word, but the slang terms were pretty much the only thing that the Googler pulled up at a quick glance, apart from the Swahili one.  Annnnd... I'm pretty sure those from UD aren't what they were going for with a Kiddie Land ride. Wink
(03-28-2017, 12:08 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Yeah, wood shingles & paint rarely mix well.

Speaking of, did you hear about the plans for the underside of Flying Tigers' roof?

I didn't hear about it, but I thought it was odd that planes would have a roof over them. The logical choice would be to paint a sky on the ceiling. I know someone who can paint a sky scene that looks like day in regular light and night under a blacklight.
Click here for eternal salvation.

(03-28-2017, 12:51 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: I didn't hear about it, but I thought it was odd that planes would have a roof over them. The logical choice would be to paint a sky on the ceiling. I know someone who can paint a sky scene that looks like day in regular light and night under a blacklight.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised at first when I heard they'd be doing a roof; I figured they would have put up a shade tarp.  You're right:  the sky scene would be a logical choice.  Hopefully it'll look cool... I love that idea about the blacklight transformation, though--would be cool to see!
(03-28-2017, 12:46 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: You mean those you might find on urban-type dictionaries?  I'll admit that I'm not super familiar with all of the various & sundry definitions of the word, but the slang terms were pretty much the only thing that the Googler pulled up at a quick glance, apart from the Swahili one.  Annnnd... I'm pretty sure those from UD aren't what they were going for with a Kiddie Land ride. Wink
Yeah, the UD ones that aren't exactly family friendly? Love the REAL definition and name of the ride however.
(03-28-2017, 12:51 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: I didn't hear about it, but I thought it was odd that planes would have a roof over them. The logical choice would be to paint a sky on the ceiling. I know someone who can paint a sky scene that looks like day in regular light and night under a blacklight.

(03-28-2017, 01:00 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Yeah, I was kinda surprised at first when I heard they'd be doing a roof; I figured they would have put up a shade tarp.  You're right:  the sky scene would be a logical choice.  Hopefully it'll look cool... I love that idea about the blacklight transformation, though--would be cool to see!
Knoebels added a roof over their Zamperla Flying Tigers after one season, and I'm aware of a couple others as well, which may indicate that protecting the ride system is a good form of preventive maintenance. I am kinda hoping for some "plane" inspired lighting, like the Tea Cup Chandelier on Tipsey Tea Cups.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island