Quick question on Lagoon entry
(03-06-2017, 09:50 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: They may not offer it on the coupons you're getting, but they do still offer it for some large groups who rent out pavilion/terrace space for events (which is quite a substantial bunch of people).  Gets them into the park for their event, but doesn't include rides.  That's what Z was pointing out, and is the reason they still check for hand stamps.

Yes, I realize that, and I apologize if I sounded harsh or anything like that - that wasn't my intent.

In fact, that was really the reason I was asking - even though the Stake Lagoon Day coupons no longer seem to be offering free entry for those just planing on walking around (a "walk-around pass" as the Lagoon website calls it), the fact that Lagoon's still doing the hand stamp as a "proof of purchase" that had to be shown to ride attendants kind of implied to me that there might be sort of possibility of legally getting a walk-around pass, and I was rather hoping that some such option was available for "regular" customers, through something like a little-known promo code or something similar; currently, nobody in the family has a job whose employer has any sort of "Work Lagoon Day," and there's really no way for us to pull together any large enough group to get 25+ people to qualify for either the "Group Discounts" or "Family Events" promos as outlined on Lagoon's website (the tickets under both the "Group Discounts" and "Family Plan B" under the "Family Events" are still $39.95 + tax, and I've seen other coupons elsewhere - Stake Lagoon Day, as well as coupons from stores like Costco, Macey's, and Deseret Book - offer similar discounts, and while sure, even though that price range - or even full-price - won't bankrupt anybody in my family, that's still a fair bit of money to pay to just walk around watching other people go on the rides).

(Although yes, I have considered the possibility that Lagoon is only doing the hand stamping because of concern over some people figuring out how to sneak into the park in some way; I know there are sometimes outside companies, like Arby's and Subway, that do have an operating presence in the park, and I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for someone to try to use it to their advantage.)
(03-08-2017, 07:12 PM)Gregory Wrote: Yes, I realize that, and I apologize if I sounded harsh or anything like that - that wasn't my intent.

Nah, not at all!  Equal apologies if my reply sounded like I thought that.

I'm sorta torn on the entrance-only thing:  on the one hand, there have been times the past few years where we'd have loved to have some of our older non-riding family come just to hang out & share the experience with the kids, and frankly I sorta wish that there was a greatly-discounted entry-only pass (like, on the order of ten bucks), at least for certain ages.  I know they have discounted Senior Citizen passes, but... I mean, they're a whopping $5 bucks off the full-price adult Single Day Passport.  Which is just stupid.   Rolleyes

On the other hand, I'm an introvert, and for the love of all things holy, something needs to change & make the place less crowded.  It was actually uncomfortably busy for me many days last season--not just "oh I hate waiting in lines" kinda thing, but seriously, like I wanted to go be in a quiet place for awhile & calm down.  At least there's still PV, but most days I'm there, I'm attached to family & can't make the escape.
(03-08-2017, 11:47 AM)Z Wrote: Lagoon used to have string with the ticket a sticker used to close the string. I loved them. They had to go away when Lagoon A Beach came into play, but as a kid you could leave that pass on for days and everybody would know that you had just been to Lagoon. Now I wash the stamp off as soon as I can.

-Z

I know someone who had a job putting those strings on. He talks about how carefully you had to do it so you wouldn't get people's arm hair stuck on the sticker and how mad some people would get if you did.
(03-08-2017, 08:32 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Nah, not at all!  Equal apologies if my reply sounded like I thought that.

I'm sorta torn on the entrance-only thing:  on the one hand, there have been times the past few years where we'd have loved to have some of our older non-riding family come just to hang out & share the experience with the kids, and frankly I sorta wish that there was a greatly-discounted entry-only pass (like, on the order of ten bucks), at least for certain ages.  I know they have discounted Senior Citizen passes, but... I mean, they're a whopping $5 bucks off the full-price adult Single Day Passport.  Which is just stupid.   Rolleyes

On the other hand, I'm an introvert, and for the love of all things holy, something needs to change & make the place less crowded.  It was actually uncomfortably busy for me many days last season--not just "oh I hate waiting in lines" kinda thing, but seriously, like I wanted to go be in a quiet place for awhile & calm down.  At least there's still PV, but most days I'm there, I'm attached to family & can't make the escape.

The large crowds in recent years is one of the main reasons why I do think northern Utah could support a second amusement park.

And I don't think most people would object to paying a small entry fee for a "walk-about pass," though it should be for all ages (over 2; my oldest brother just had his 56th birthday, so he's still almost a decade away from meeting the requirements to qualify for Lagoon's senior discount anyway); as I earlier mentioned, any discount out there that I've heard of (barring someone like your employer buying a ticket for you) will still set you back more than 40 bucks, and that's indeed just plain stupid.  (One possible idea that Lagoon could use is the way that Disneyland used to operate, and isn't too different than Lagoon's "under 2" policy is - once upon a time, if you wanted to go to Disneyland, you'd pay a small entry fee, and then if you wanted to go on specific rides, you had to then buy individual tickets for a small fee per ticket).

An interesting thing is that I'm one of those subscribed to that "Fun Time Club" that Lagoon has on their website (where they e-mail you stuff).  A couple of years ago I did receive a invite to participate in a survey they were doing, and one of the comments I made on it was that I thought it'd be nice if they could do something about the long lines on the rides, so yes, I do understand (and share your frustration with) all the people there sometimes (while I don't pretend to think that my input alone had all that much sway with Lagoon, I think it'd be a bit ironic if that comment - combined with others similarly annoyed with long lines - helped lead to Lagoon dropping the free walk-about entry option on the Stake Lagoon Day coupon).

As a bit of a side note, though, I've yet to be to any other amusement park that required any sort of "proof of purchase" once you were inside the park.  If you were in there, the employees operated on the idea that you were a paying customer unless there was a really weird reason for them to believe otherwise (so there was never any hand stamps of physical ticket or anything else you had to show ride attendants in order to get on anything).  Sure, you had to have some sort of proof of purchase if you exited and then wanted to return on the same day (say, if you were going to get something out of your vehicle), but that was it.
Just my opinion but lagoon needs to do away with freebies ect. The park is becoming too busy. I have also never seen anyone, ever use tickets to get on a ride. I know Utah is a strange dynamic but they need to get things to where if you're in the park you're good to go on whatever you want. I think the whole handstamp thing is costing more money than it's saving them.
I agree... plus, my Season Pass serves as proof. I can enter/exit the park all day with it.