Quick question on Lagoon entry
I'm one of those who has gone to Lagoon on the Stake Lagoon Day coupons that Lagoon has gone through the LDS Church, but have noticed that the past couple of years (yes, my stake still does that, though talking with other family members in different stakes in Utah we seem to be one of the only ones left doing that) that the offer of the free entry for those (over the age of 2) who just want to walk around without going on any of the rides has been discontinued.

I know there are some here who have worked at Lagoon, and was wondering if there is still any way for someone who doesn't want to ride the rides could get in for free, or at least at a very considerably reduced price (since it seems kind of silly to pay full price, or at least mostly full price if one takes advantage of the various coupons and e-mail discounts available if you aren't going to be riding on the rides).  For example, my oldest brother gets motion sickness on some of the faster stuff, and my sister and brother-in-law have noticed that they starting to feel more "blah" as well on the faster stuff, so going on the rides just isn't fun for them, but they have grandkids who I'm sure they might like to go with, if not this year then within the next few years (my oldest brother and sister-in-law's grandkids are ages 7 and 4, with #3 being on the way in about a month, while my sister and brother-in-law have an almost 4-year-old [June 1st birthday] and a 2 year old).  Is there any sort of method that any of the insiders here know about (code, coupon, secret handshake, etc.) that could be used, or are they just out of luck as far as not having to pay a lot to get in to Lagoon?

I only ask because even after the above-mentioned "free entry" Stake Lagoon Day option was discontinued, I've still been asked by ride attendants to show them the hand stamp that shows that I've paid for admission to the park, and it seems kind of odd that they'd ask that if the only way to (legally) get into the park if you're over the age of 2 is to pay for either a season pass or a single day pass for that particular day (so it kind of suggests - to me, at least - that there's still some sort of option where those over the age of 2 who don't want to ride on anything can [legally] get into Lagoon without having to pay lots of money for it).
Other than being under 2, the only way these days is if you're there on a group sales event (i.e. if your company has paid to let you in). Apart from that, it still requires a Season Passport or Single Day Passport to get through the doors. Personally, I think the overhead cost of maintaining the ticket program for the small percentage of guests who ever use them needs to lead to its removal. Let everyone who gets in the doors ride: they either paid for a passport, or they're one of the few toddlers who probably aren't going to be riding much anyway. Just needless hassle & confusion, IMHO.

I always thought the discounted entry-only passes were a great idea, but these days, the park is so crowded most days, I can't imagine letting in even more people for cheaper than full price. I'm honestly surprised the price of a Season Passport hasn't seen huge increases the past couple of years, because I think at this point they could probably double the cost of one and it'd barely make a dent in attendance.
During the main part of the season they have a 2 for 1 deal on Fridays and Saturdays nights, I think. There are often other similar deals, but for the most part entry only guests are out of luck. Like dragon tamer points out, though, crowds would be unbearable anymore with entrance only visitors thrown in.

They clearly prefer to sell season passports when the price of the all day pass has been jumping way up and the price for a season passport barely changes.
The stake Lagoon day ticket still has free gate entry on the ticket (at least it did last year). Even though they have removed the ability to purchase gate entry, you can still get it on the large group discount tickets.

-Z
(03-06-2017, 12:31 AM)Z Wrote: The stake Lagoon day ticket still has free gate entry on the ticket (at least it did last year). Even though they have removed the ability to purchase gate entry, you can still get it on the large group discount tickets.

-Z

For us, the coupons stated that free entry specifically was not an option, and was for the last two years.  It's why I found it so strange that the ride attendants were still asking to see the hand stamps when it seemed like the only people who were coming into the park would be paying customers (since, if the free entry had been discontinued, then the only people coming in would be paying customers).
(03-06-2017, 09:05 PM)Gregory Wrote: For us, the coupons stated that free entry specifically was not an option, and was for the last two years.  It's why I found it so strange that the ride attendants were still asking to see the hand stamps when it seemed like the only people who were coming into the park would be paying customers (since, if the free entry had been discontinued, then the only people coming in would be paying customers).

They may not offer it on the coupons you're getting, but they do still offer it for some large groups who rent out pavilion/terrace space for events (which is quite a substantial bunch of people).  Gets them into the park for their event, but doesn't include rides.  That's what Z was pointing out, and is the reason they still check for hand stamps.
(03-06-2017, 09:50 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: They may not offer it on the coupons you're getting, but they do still offer it for some large groups who rent out pavilion/terrace space for events (which is quite a substantial bunch of people).  Gets them into the park for their event, but doesn't include rides.  That's what Z was pointing out, and is the reason they still check for hand stamps.

I believe catered food is also part of the large group rate? I don't think Stakes sign up for the catering services with entry.

Also, Sid may be able to speak toward this but LIF reserves a terrace each month for potlucks (without catering). I don't believe it costs LIF anything additional to do that.
(03-07-2017, 07:18 AM)gregwibert Wrote: ...LIF reserves a terrace each month for potlucks (without catering)...

Not this year, though (see the Meetups forum).
I know there are tons of people that are allowed into the park without a ticket just to set up for the dancing/clogging tournaments as well as many large company parties all season that don't all leave by the time the park is open. If they didn't check for handstamps I'm sure people would catch on and suddenly all those people would bring their families or friends with them to set up and then just hang out until park opening and ride rides free.

If they didn't need to check handstamps they wouldn't stamp your hand in the first place. There has to be some way of knowing who paid and who sneaked in (either by hopping a fence or crowding through the main entrance or whatever). Not everybody can keep track of a paper ticket...or a card of that's what they used. A wristband might be nice, but personally I think they can get annoying.
(03-08-2017, 11:21 AM)Brăden Wrote: I know there are tons of people that are allowed into the park without a ticket just to set up for the dancing/clogging tournaments as well as many large company parties all season that don't all leave by the time the park is open. If they didn't check for handstamps I'm sure people would catch on and suddenly all those people would bring their families or friends with them to set up and then just hang out until park opening and ride rides free.

If they didn't need to check handstamps they wouldn't stamp your hand in the first place. There has to be some way of knowing who paid and who sneaked in (either by hopping a fence or crowding through the main entrance or whatever). Not everybody can keep track of a paper ticket...or a card of that's what they used. A wristband might be nice, but personally I think they can get annoying.

Lagoon used to have string with the ticket a sticker used to close the string. I loved them. They had to go away when Lagoon A Beach came into play, but as a kid you could leave that pass on for days and everybody would know that you had just been to Lagoon. Now I wash the stamp off as soon as I can.

-Z