Where will Lagoon's next Big attraction go?
(12-17-2016, 12:15 AM)RCF Wrote: Strange they actually decide to keep them. It hasn't been a popular ride for a long time and no one likes being directly in the sun on the platform.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has. 2017 will make it 22 years old!
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(12-17-2016, 12:06 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: So can we assume the soil tests didn't go so well?

You can, but I wouldn't.
(12-17-2016, 11:38 AM)Brăden Wrote: You can, but I wouldn't.

Cool beans. They probably have good reasons. So eh it'll be good what ever they do.

My view is that the single most important thing Lagoon needs to do is connect the Frontrunner station to the park with something better than a bus. A monorail, aerial tram or even an underground moving sidewalk forming a straight line from the station to the park would be ideal. The north lot is the closest point to the station, so that's a good reason to move the entrance to the north. Lagoon could further benefit from such an arrangement by building some sit-down restaurants, shops and a hotel right outside the new park entrance (ala CityWalk or Downtown Disney).

If Lagoon did things logically, I'd put my money on the new construction being related to what I've described. But after watching what the park does for several years now, I can't possibly image what they are thinking.

If anybody knows what's really going on feel free to PM me and tell me.
where exactly are the bathrooms moving to? Does anyone have pictures of the location?

(12-18-2016, 09:18 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: where exactly are the bathrooms moving to? Does anyone have pictures of the location?

It's just northwest of Samurai, just inside the employee parking area next to the planter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LagoonIsFun/com...h=78d08893

Also, there were some other photos & discussion in the "Lagoon on Reddit" thread in the "Lagoon Discussion " forum.
(12-18-2016, 02:50 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: My view is that the single most important thing Lagoon needs to do is connect the Frontrunner station to the park with something better than a bus. A monorail, aerial tram or even an underground moving sidewalk forming a straight line from the station to the park would be ideal. The north lot is the closest point to the station, so that's a good reason to move the entrance to the north. Lagoon could further benefit from such an arrangement by building some sit-down restaurants, shops and a hotel right outside the new park entrance (ala CityWalk or Downtown Disney).

If Lagoon did things logically, I'd put my money on the new construction being related to what I've described. But after watching what the park does for several years now, I can't possibly image what they are thinking.

If anybody knows what's really going on feel free to PM me and tell me.

Sorry, I had my inner pragmatist locked up to keep him from replying, but he tricked me & got out.

Now, I will say I agree with you on two points:  Lagoon desperately needs sit-down dining in the park (and I don't mean Subway or Arby's), and it would be nice if there were a bit more direct way to get to the park from the Farmington FrontRunner stop.

So...

As for the FrontRunner stop issue, I've wondered about what could be done above & beyond what they're doing now, and I never come up with a good idea.  Frankly, any mode of conveyance is going to have one basic problem:  schedule.  Unless you have individual autonomous cars that can move people every few minutes, you're going to have a large bus or train-like system that will have a round trip time of about 15 minutes.  Frankly, I'd rather just take the 10 minute walk at that point myself, but there definitely still needs to be something for people who can't, or don't want to, walk.  The bus may not be the funnest, but it does work:  the station gets heavily used by park employees during the summer (just watch how many Lagoon shirts fill up trains around 5pm if you don't believe me), so I'm sure it's getting used by guests as well.

An underground option just frankly isn't feasible for the cost.  The water table in Farmington is so ridiculously high being so close to [what used to be] the lake that it'd be exorbitantly expensive to cut under I-15 for something that'll only be used for about 60% of the year.

Going over I-15 & Legacy directly to the gate from the station would also be really expensive:  the I-15/Legacy/US-89 interchange directly between the station and Lagoon is massively wide and would take a lot of structure to cross, and frankly I don't think you could get a structure directly over the freeway from the station (the approach from both sides is just too close for any reasonable bridge).

I'd love a pedestrian bridge, but same problem as above... it's just so big, and would only get used 7 months out of the year, I just don't see it being a good investment.  To me, it seems like the UTA shuttle is probably the most reasonable approach.  Would be nice if it were more frequent, but at least it is there.  I mean, you can walk now, but you have to go all the way to the south end of Station Park & cross down on State St. (which is less than ideal) or risk your life using Park Ln.

Such a shame the park and the station are so close to the road... a nice direct pedestrian bridge would be so handy.

As for the hotel/shopping center idea...

For one thing, there already is a hotel at the park entrance, but I still am amazed anybody had the guts to build one there.  The weird thing is, it does actually pretty well in the summer when the park's open, but I've never stayed there in winter, so I'm curious to see what its bookings are like in the off-season.

Thing is, Farmington is just a logically-stupid place to build a hotel.  People coming to the Wasatch Front who will need to stay in a hotel are typically going to be government, military, or business people coming to the Ogden, Layton/HAFB, or SLC areas.  Farmington is 15 miles from SLC which is not really ideal if you're staying for business in SLC, and although Layton is a mere 8 miles away, there's a glut of hotels there already.  Frankly, apart from Lagoon, Farmington just doesn't have a tourist draw that necessitates a hotel.  For a full 5 months out of the year, the best that Hampton Inn can hope for is overflow from SLC or Layton markets, period.  Nobody is coming in from out-of-town to shop at Station Park and walk back across the street to their hotel!

I love the hotel there, I really do (it's a very nice place to stay for a fun stay-cation, especially if you're going to the park anyway), but from a business point of view.... man, somebody had some huevos to build that place.

Same kinda goes for a shopping center:  there already is one within a mile of the park.  Building any shops or restaurants on the east side of the freeway at this point would be a waste of real estate Lagoon could use to expand the rides and/or parking.  No way they'd invest that kind of money to compete in the retail/restaurant market against the 800 lb. gorilla that is Station Park.  They're going to lose that battle every day of the week, and hard.
(12-18-2016, 12:39 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: As for the hotel/shopping center idea...

For one thing, there already is a hotel at the park entrance, but I still am amazed anybody had the guts to build one there.  The weird thing is, it does actually pretty well in the summer when the park's open, but I've never stayed there in winter, so I'm curious to see what its bookings are like in the off-season.

Thing is, Farmington is just a logically-stupid place to build a hotel.  People coming to the Wasatch Front who will need to stay in a hotel are typically going to be government, military, or business people coming to the Ogden, Layton/HAFB, or SLC areas.  Farmington is 15 miles from SLC which is not really ideal if you're staying for business in SLC, and although Layton is a mere 8 miles away, there's a glut of hotels there already.  Frankly, apart from Lagoon, Farmington just doesn't have a tourist draw that necessitates a hotel.  For a full 5 months out of the year, the best that Hampton Inn can hope for is overflow from SLC or Layton markets, period.  Nobody is coming in from out-of-town to shop at Station Park and walk back across the street to their hotel!

I love the hotel there, I really do (it's a very nice place to stay for a fun stay-cation, especially if you're going to the park anyway), but from a business point of view.... man, somebody had some huevos to build that place.

Same kinda goes for a shopping center:  there already is one within a mile of the park.  Building any shops or restaurants on the east side of the freeway at this point would be a waste of real estate Lagoon could use to expand the rides and/or parking.  No way they'd invest that kind of money to compete in the retail/restaurant market against the 800 lb. gorilla that is Station Park.  They're going to lose that battle every day of the week, and hard.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the hotel gets booked out constantly because their are points in the Utah hotel industry that the closest hotel anyone can find to have available is a resort hotel in Park City, and the next one to that is all the way in Heber. Whenever any event happens in Utah, those hotels fill up fast. Even if Farmington is not an ideal location being right between the Layton/Ogden market and Salt Lake market, hotels get booked fast in Utah for the simplest of events. Even if the winter isn't suffice, no hotel is going out of business in Utah soon unless they are horribly managed (Shilo Inn for example that's now a Holiday Inn Express.)

Lets not forget that even Station Park has their own hotel now, so that's two basically next door to Lagoon. Could explain the huge influx of guests at Lagoon this year, as well as Cannibal of course.

I bet it would be extremely hard to find a room if Lagoon ever did a Christmas event. The Temple Lights themselves bring in a huge amount of tourists and you can find a Christmas Light display in every city that is busy every night.

I agree with the shopping. That is taken care of by Station Park. But that's not a bad thing, because then Lagoon can focus on expanding their ride collection instead of a shopping district. The shuttle is not a bad system they have going on at all, either. Many times when my friends and I didn't want the food Lagoon offered, we would take the shuttle to Station Park and eat at one of their locations there.

Basically, the addition of Station Park has created a huge destination point for Utah with Lagoon next door. It warrants a two day visit now, has the hotels to back it up, and you can split between the two during the day with the shuttle, even if it's barely known to locals and doesn't run that frequently. It has helped Lagoon tremendously in my opinion, and I can only see huge additions going forward with expansions. Even if Lagoon ever runs out of parking, there's all the parking at Station Park and the shuttle to bring them over. Maybe even two if there's THAT many guests at some point. Lets hope not though unless Lagoon adds more space in the park itself for people to walk around. The bottlenecks in Kiddieland next to the LAB entrance and between Roller Coaster and the Carousel are horrible already.
(12-18-2016, 03:19 PM)RCF Wrote: The shuttle is not a bad system they have going on at all, either.

When I rode this "shuttle" in 2015 instead of crossing the freeway right at the station it wound through tiny streets in station park for a while. The roads there weren't even wide enough for another vehicle to pass the bus going the opposite direction so we had to stop numerous times while the driver convinced oncoming vehicles to back off the road with hand gestures. The tiny roads and sharp corners caused the bus to constantly drive up on the curbs and it hit the branches of all the nearby trees (None of that is exaggerated, it was ridiculous). After that we drove around BFE for a while so we could cross the freeway at a location further from the park. The return trip was a little better since it crossed the freeway near the station and the park so the bus fit on the road, but we still had to do a tour of Farmington first.

The old trolley shaped shuttle that went straight from the bus stop to the park was great, but this one was terrible and I decided not to ride it ever again.
(12-18-2016, 09:51 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: When I rode this "shuttle" in 2015 instead of crossing the freeway right at the station it wound through tiny streets in station park for a while. The roads there weren't even wide enough for another vehicle to pass the bus going the opposite direction so we had to stop numerous times while the driver convinced oncoming vehicles to back off the road with hand gestures. The tiny roads and sharp corners caused the bus to constantly drive up on the curbs and it hit the branches of all the nearby trees (None of that is exaggerated, it was ridiculous). After that we drove around BFE for a while so we could cross the freeway at a location further from the park. The return trip was a little better since it crossed the freeway near the station and the park so the bus fit on the road, but we still had to do a tour of Farmington first.

The old trolley shaped shuttle that went straight from the bus stop to the park was great, but this one was terrible and I decided not to ride it ever again.

Augh... that does sound reasonably horrid.  Seriously, a shuttle between the train station and Lagoon--that's all it needs to be.  Leave it to UTA to foul up a perfectly practical service & replace it with something twice as slow.

Maybe if we built a giant, launched zip line to the park?  I mean, trebuchet is really what you need, but the landing's a beast if you don't nail it.

(Now I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a launched zip line...)