Employee Stories
(12-06-2016, 11:14 AM)Brăden Wrote: Sounds like a great off season topic to me

So, let's get the topic rolling. Here is the place to share your stories from your time working at Lagoon! Who wants to go first?
There was this one time where I've never been able to work for Lagoon.
Oops!  I didn't see that you'd split this off into its own thread earlier before I replied!  Sorry, Will!  I'll re-post my reply here. Wink

Quote:All I'm going to say is... well, let's just say I know how far Fire Dragon can throw a torque wrench.

Completely unrelated, if you've ever wondered why there's a torque wrench-sized dent in the front wheel housing of one of Fire Dragon's trains...
(12-06-2016, 05:45 PM)ThatWyomingDude Wrote: There was this one time where I've never been able to work for Lagoon.

That was a great story.

(12-06-2016, 09:03 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: All I'm going to say is... well, let's just say I know how far Fire Dragon can throw a torque wrench.

Completely unrelated, if you've ever wondered why there's a torque wrench-sized dent in the front wheel housing of one of Fire Dragon's trains...

Unrelated huh? Do one of the trains still have a dent or has that been replaced by now?
(12-06-2016, 10:56 PM)Willenator Wrote: Unrelated huh? Do one of the trains still have a dent or has that been replaced by now?

Y'know, I haven't had a chance to get a good look at the lead housings on the trains lately, and I honestly can't remember which train it was all these years later.  It didn't impinge on the movement of the wheel (although it was pretty impressively deep and distinctly hex-shaped), and I know it ran that way for awhile afterward.  Considering that most of the housings I've seen still look original, unless they hammered it out, I'd imagine you could still find it.  Believe it was the left side of the train (outward-facing side when sitting in the brake), front face of the front housing.

Would be pretty funny if it was still there.  In a really embarrassing, hope I never see Alma again, kinda way.

Amazing how many pieces an expensive German torque wrench will shatter into... luckily the giant head with the pound or so of steel bit in it (those track-to-upright bolts are huge) stayed together... made it really easy for the Grounds guy to find it (over by Roll-o-Plane) & return it back to the ride.

Doh
lol. That's funny. I managed to valley one of the trains on Fire Dragon in 1998. It was during a day where it was really cold. This was back when they had the wheels on the front and rear that had to be warmed properly to travel the course without issue. The park was fairly dead, and the supervisor was on break. She showed back up and the train had been sitting in the station for quite some time waiting for riders when she asked us if the train had run recently. I told her no, and she immediately yelled at me to send it through the track to keep the wheels warm. We sent it. It barely made it through the loops. We all cringed as it hit the straightaway and slowed to a stop and then rolled backwards where it proceeded to roll forward and backward for quite some time.

Needless to say, we closed the ride for the day. Maintenance had to bring a crane over and hook it up to the train to pull it through the track. While I was super embarrassed about it, I did enjoy seeing a the coaster valley. At least there were no guests on the train. Smile
Haha, nice! Glad to hear that was a couple of years after my time there, or I'd have been one of the mechanics over there pulling the train. Wink

Yeah, I remember those days with the soft wheels. Nothing quite as mind numbing as sitting in the booth for 20 minutes bouncing the train between Brake 1 & Brake 2. Back and forth. Was sure nice after the heaters got installed.

I always felt bad for the campers every time we fired up the lights & started clanging around the trains at 5 am... I'm sure that had to be a nice wake-up call.

I never saw any of the coasters valley, but I did get to help out with the first run of the season on Roller Coaster one year. Ever get to do that? That's an experience and a half. It's a surreal thing pushing a PTC train through West Curve and trying to time the hill...
(12-07-2016, 12:57 AM)Willenator Wrote: lol. That's funny. I managed to valley one of the trains on Fire Dragon in 1998. It was during a day where it was really cold. This was back when they had the wheels on the front and rear that had to be warmed properly to travel the course without issue. The park was fairly dead, and the supervisor was on break. She showed back up and the train had been sitting in the station for quite some time waiting for riders when she asked us if the train had run recently. I told her no, and she immediately yelled at me to send it through the track to keep the wheels warm. We sent it. It barely made it through the loops. We all cringed as it hit the straightaway and slowed to a stop and then rolled backwards where it proceeded to roll forward and backward for quite some time.

Needless to say, we closed the ride for the day. Maintenance had to bring a crane over and hook it up to the train to pull it through the track. While I was super embarrassed about it, I did enjoy seeing a the coaster valley. At least there were no guests on the train. Smile

I have always wanted to see Fire Dragon Valley! in 2004 it almost did after the train sat on the lift for a week while the lift motor was switched out. It was a very slow run lol.

I got to see Spider valley on its opening day in 2003. That was cool.

(12-07-2016, 01:19 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Haha, nice!  Glad to hear that was a couple of years after my time there, or I'd have been one of the mechanics over there pulling the train. Wink

Yeah, I remember those days with the soft wheels.  Nothing quite as mind numbing as sitting in the booth for 20 minutes bouncing the train between Brake 1 & Brake 2.  Back and forth.  Was sure nice after the heaters got installed.

I always felt bad for the campers every time we fired up the lights & started clanging around the trains at 5 am...  I'm sure that had to be a nice wake-up call.

I never saw any of the coasters valley, but I did get to help out with the first run of the season on Roller Coaster one year.  Ever get to do that?  That's an experience and a half.  It's a surreal thing pushing a PTC train through West Curve and trying to time the hill...

I got to help as a rider on the first runs on Roller Coaster in 2004. It was fun. It was crazy watching maintenance jump out push the train and jump back in!

Speaking of Dragon. I have one where it was very windy one morning in the fall and while doing test runs at Dragon the roving super decided to take the flags down, as the train passed on the lift it got one of the flags caught on the train and pulled the pole and the flag down the first drop  luckily tearing free before the first loop and and not hitting any other track. I  was watching it from half up the lift at the time. It was crazy to see.

In 2007 there was a car that got stuck in reduction at Jet Star because of and flat tire on the advance motor. The car got stuck and the tire began to smoke. The supervisor ( won't mention names, but he wasn't the brightest crayon in the box) I can't remember if he hit the all stop or the safety system trigger it but he ran down and even before seeing if there was flames, which there wasn't on a tire basically doing a burn out on the bottom of the car smashed open and grabbed the fire extinguisher and sprayed it all over reduction and made a huge mess. I was roving the area and was up there pretty soon after this happened, I and the Management on park at the time were so mad. After getting the people off and making sure they were all ship shape, we got the car out of there and made the supervisor clean up all the fire extinguisher dust that was everywhere on and under the ride before it reopened.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(12-07-2016, 01:19 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Yeah, I remember those days with the soft wheels. Nothing quite as mind numbing as sitting in the booth for 20 minutes bouncing the train between Brake 1 & Brake 2. Back and forth. Was sure nice after the heaters got installed.

I always felt bad for the campers every time we fired up the lights & started clanging around the trains at 5 am... I'm sure that had to be a nice wake-up call.

I was one of those campers occasionally and personally I kinda liked it because I was at Lagoon!

There have been times they still do that brake bouncing thing in the mornings. Once I was working in front of the ride near the brakes and it got old real quick. What is the purpose of that exactly?
(12-07-2016, 01:19 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: I never saw any of the coasters valley, but I did get to help out with the first run of the season on Roller Coaster one year. Ever get to do that? That's an experience and a half. It's a surreal thing pushing a PTC train through West Curve and trying to time the hill...

No. I always wanted to give it a try though. It looked a lot of fun.

(12-07-2016, 10:48 AM)Brăden Wrote: I was one of those campers occasionally and personally I kinda liked it because I was at Lagoon!

There have been times they still do that brake bouncing thing in the mornings. Once I was working in front of the ride near the brakes and it got old real quick. What is the purpose of that exactly?

I always felt the same way. I enjoyed hearing the rides getting worked on early in the morning when I was camping.

I was under the impression they had replaced the wheels they used to use on the front and back of the trains, but if they are still bouncing the trains back and forth maybe they still use them. Do you know if they do that every morning or just sometimes? Moving the train back and forth warms up the wheels on the train before it is sent up the hill. Some of the wheels on the train were a softer type that would slow the train down and not let it complete its course unless they were warmed up enough. That's why the train we sent years ago valleyed. The tires became cold again. If Lagoon no longer uses the softer wheels, I don't know why they would still be bouncing the train back and forth unless it still helps with the initial run of the train on the track.