September Site Updates
I've been working in the background cleaning up some of the forum plugins to help improve performance. Most of the plugins we haven't utilized for awhile, but I still had the plugins on the system. I did remove one that has been used regularly. The biggest use of this we have on the forum is YouTube videos where a link to a video will automatically display the video. There was a compatibility issue because it hasn't been updated, so this won't happen automatically anymore. You can still embed YouTube videos, but it must be done using the forums bbcode for the video to display or just click "insert a video" on the post editor bar.

I'm testing a theme that has been written for smaller screens and will adjust depending on the size of the screen you are using. This would make it possible to use the forum easily on smart phones and tablets. I have a few more tweaks to make on it and then I will add a post to this topic explaining how you can activate it on your account and give it a try as well. Our current theme has some responsive behaviors to it, but the theme is not fully responsive. This new one has been fully rewritten to adjust properly.
That's awesome. It would be nice not to use Tapatalk anymore.
Nice! I notice that the main URL automatically goes to the forums now, too... no more home page by default, eh? I kinda like it -- saves a click.

Never did use Tapatalk, but it will be super nice to have a better mobile browser UI.
Okay, I have finished tweaking the Responsive theme. If you would like to give it a try, go into User CP, locate Edit Options, and then look for Board Style. Select the drop down menu and change it to Responsive. Once you save, you will see the new theme.

It does take a bit to get used to, but I have been using it for a few days now and actually like it. The only thing that isn't displaying properly is videos.
Hmm... well, that is different. First blush: I like it better on mobile, definitely better than the original for sure. Almost a little too aggressively fluffy on mobile: even on my iPhone 6s Plus in landscape mode, it still insists on making the 'newest post' part stack vertically under the forum name/description, which feels really awkward so far. Everything's so flat, just a little hard to differentiate between different forums, kinda all runs together it feels like.

Definitel will take a little more getting used to the desktop side of it. Almost too bad there's not a way to have one theme for mobile and one for desktop, but it'll work.

Y'know, I think I just realized what feels off about it: having all the columns' text centered instead of left-justified. Call me old-fashioned, but I like my column contents to be neat & orderly. ;)

Thanks a ton for all the hard work on continuing improvements... I know how tedious and frustrating that can be sometimes!
I can change the column alignment. That shouldn't be too hard.

I also agree about the mobile vs desktop. I've actually been looking for something that could work with MyBB and switch the theme based on what the user is on. I like the responsive theme on my phone, but I don't like it on the desktop.

Update:

Maybe it's that I'm just not used to the theme on the desktop. We shall see.
Can you set up a m.lagoonisfun domain for mobile? There might be other options, I barely know enough about web stuff to run my simple site, so...
(09-29-2016, 01:14 PM)Brăden Wrote: Can you set up a m.lagoonisfun domain for mobile? There might be other options, I barely know enough about web stuff to run my simple site, so...

Good suggestion. In theory, I just need to connect two copies of MyBB to the same database and use a different template for each. I'm going to try it! :)

Update:

I just realized that won't work because the theme selection is stored in the database, so changing the theme choice on one copy of MyBB would change it to the same theme on the other. Dang.

Update update:

I did some more digging, and I think I figured out how to make it work. I set my theme back to the default (Spectrum). When I'm on my computer, that is the theme I see. I can log into my phone and see the mobile theme. I need some other people to confirm that this is working.
I just finished changing a few items in the backend again. The site is running on a newer version of PHP now, so it should load a bit better and handle file uploads better. If you encounter any issues, please let me know.
(09-29-2016, 06:22 PM)Willenator Wrote: I need some other people to confirm that this is working.

I just barely had a chance to go onto the site on my computer, and I too am seeing the usual site for the computer and the mobile version for my phone. (Which, by the way, I LOVE the new mobile site!)