A new Utah park?
Yeah who even wants a Six Flags these days.
Of course, the difficulty with building an amusement park to begin with is that it, among other things, takes a lot of money to even consider doing so. Going off of their respective Wiipedia articles, Cannibal cost $22 million, while Wicked cost $10 million. That's $32 million just for two rides (not even counting things like the land they're on or any specific permits Lagoon needed to get to build them). Not too many people have that kind of money and any people that do probably aren't going to be getting into the amusement park industry; a lot of businesses do have that kind of money, but a lot of them aren't in the amusement part industry and have little reason to get into it.

Also, the best way to ensure that an amusement park will succeed is to have it built and run by a company that's already running other amusement parks, although there's no guarantee that such companies will, or that it will automatically succeed every time, which is why I'm sure Six Flags - arguably among the most famous amusement park companies in the U.S. - gets named specifically in rumors about future amusement parks in Utah (though they've had their share of problems, certainly; I've heard that at least part of the reason they never rebuilt Six Flags New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina was that it was the least profitable of all the Six Flags parks, thus implying that they wouldn't see a quick enough return on the investment of rebuilding the place to make it worth their while - and that's with, presumably, an already-existing fan base for that location specifically).
(02-24-2017, 06:53 PM)Brăden Wrote: Yeah who even wants a Six Flags these days.

The uninformed GP.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(02-24-2017, 08:45 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: The uninformed GP.

Ehh... how about a Cedar Fair?
The Dude in the Coat
(02-24-2017, 10:22 PM)DragonFire101AP Wrote: Ehh... how about a Cedar Fair?

I like Cedar Fair but I was thinking more of a Herschend Family Entertainment owned park.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(02-25-2017, 11:40 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I like Cedar Fair but I was thinking more of a Herschend Family Entertainment owned park.

Oh yeah, we would definitely  want one of those. want one of those. Those parks are great!
The Dude in the Coat
(02-24-2017, 07:07 PM)Gregory Wrote: Of course, the difficulty with building an amusement park to begin with is that it, among other things, takes a lot of money to even consider doing so.  Going off of their respective Wiipedia articles, Cannibal cost $22 million, while Wicked cost $10 million.  That's $32 million just for two rides (not even counting things like the land they're on or any specific permits Lagoon needed to get to build them).  Not too many people have that kind of money and any people that do probably aren't going to be getting into the amusement park industry; a lot of businesses do have that kind of money, but a lot of them aren't in the amusement part industry and have little reason to get into it.

Also, the best way to ensure that an amusement park will succeed is to have it built and run by a company that's already running other amusement parks, although there's no guarantee that such companies will, or that it will automatically succeed every time, which is why I'm sure Six Flags - arguably among the most famous amusement park companies in the U.S. - gets named specifically in rumors about future amusement parks in Utah (though they've had their share of problems, certainly; I've heard that at least part of the reason they never rebuilt Six Flags New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina was that it was the least profitable of all the Six Flags parks, thus implying that they wouldn't see a quick enough return on the investment of rebuilding the place to make it worth their while - and that's with, presumably, an already-existing fan base for that location specifically).

The Last Official Quoted Cost of Cannibal was $26 Million in September 2015, and I'm sure it's gone up since then.

Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park and Geauga Lake/Six Flags Ohio/Six Flags World's of Adventure are the BEST Examples of what NOT to do when Building a Theme Park from Scratch and taking a Park Similar to Lagoon and Dumping Millions of Dollars into it to make it a Mega Theme Park.

There are many articles written on the Failure of Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park, but it mostly came down to Location and Budget. For 450 Million Dollars they built a skimpy and cheap theme park with many of the same problems as Disney California Adventure when it Opened....only a Handful of Rides and Nothing Much to do. At least some of their rides have found new homes in Asia.

Geauga Lake was simply Murdered by Six Flags by Dumping 60 Million Dollars in new Rides and Coasters into a Small Park, buying Sea World Ohio, and making a Giant Theme Park that could not be supported by Revenues. 

Six Flags didn't re open Six Flags New Orleans because of the Financial Mess they got themselves into. They finally learned that they couldn't drop Millions into a Park and just expect things to happen. Closing Six Flags New Orleans and Selling Off Several Parks was the smartest thing the company did in a long time and allowed them to invest in their core business, minus the whole Licencing Snafu. Now Six Flags is Profitable Again, has a Strong Brand, and are now licensing that Brand for 2 Theme Parks in China that are currently being developed/built.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(03-04-2017, 08:33 AM)linearinduction Wrote: The Last Official Quoted Cost of Cannibal was $26 Million in September 2015, and I'm sure it's gone up since then.

Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park and Geauga Lake/Six Flags Ohio/Six Flags World's of Adventure are the BEST Examples of what NOT to do when Building a Theme Park from Scratch and taking a Park Similar to Lagoon and Dumping Millions of Dollars into it to make it a Mega Theme Park.

There are many articles written on the Failure of Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park, but it mostly came down to Location and Budget. For 450 Million Dollars they built a skimpy and cheap theme park with many of the same problems as Disney California Adventure when it Opened....only a Handful of Rides and Nothing Much to do. At least some of their rides have found new homes in Asia.

Geauga Lake was simply Murdered by Six Flags by Dumping 60 Million Dollars in new Rides and Coasters into a Small Park, buying Sea World Ohio, and making a Giant Theme Park that could not be supported by Revenues. 

Six Flags didn't re open Six Flags New Orleans because of the Financial Mess they got themselves into. They finally learned that they couldn't drop Millions into a Park and just expect things to happen. Closing Six Flags New Orleans and Selling Off Several Parks was the smartest thing the company did in a long time and allowed them to invest in their core business, minus the whole Licencing Snafu. Now Six Flags is Profitable Again, has a Strong Brand, and are now licensing that Brand for 2 Theme Parks in China that are currently being developed/built.

I was pulling my info off of the respective Wikipedia pages for the rides in question, though I'm not surprised that the cost has gone up.  The original point, though, still stands - it takes a heck of a lot of money to build an amusement park.  That's why conversations like this one occur - if building a successful amusement park was cheap, someone here would have done so in Utah a long time ago.

And yes, even having an established amusement park business like Six Flags or Cedar Fair building an amusement park is no guarantee that said amusement park will automatically be successful (as Benjamin Franklin once wisely pointed out, the only two guarantees in life are death and taxes, and even though he said that more than 200 years ago, it's still very true). Thinking back on my previous comments, perhaps it should instead be stated that it seems to me that those (whether an individual, family, or business) who are already in the amusement park industry (Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Disney, etc.) are more likely to built a new amusement park than those who who aren't.  This isn't so say that an individual, family, or business who isn't already in the industry but who has the money (or at least the ability to get the money through such things as loans and investors) to do so won't, just that it doesn't seem as likely (because, as mentioned above, if it were that easy, it seems like a lot more people would be doing it).