A new Utah park?
I know this is not directly about Lagoon but guys just interested in your thoughts about our exploding population and when you think a second park may be added to Utah. I'm sure it will happen eventually...
Utah would need at least double the population before another park could be considered. Look what happened to Young Living Farm's Theme Park in Mona and Evermore Park in Orem. If Lagoon can't hit 2 million, your creepy "experience won't end even in the bathrooms" park won't get more than the population of Utah in it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Remember, there have been several other parks around Utah in the past that have faded away or burnt out. Lagoon is the sole survivor. But that's not to say another park couldn't be built. Saratoga was a swimming/amusement park that closed because of flooding. If it had a better location, it might have kept growing along with Utah County. So far, Utah seems to be on track with projections to double in population between 2000 and 2050. Utah County is growing by leaps and bounds while Davis County is starting to grow more steadily. Ogden is still the second biggest city, but Utah County is way ahead of Weber and Davis Counties in population right now. There seems to be a shift from north to south as far as growth.
A park just starting out would be wise to build in Utah County and grow along with the population, I think. But I'm guessing you're talking about a park similar in size and capacity to Lagoon. That will simply take a lot of time and capital. Lagoon didn't start at nearly as big as it is now. Probably the best reason I've heard for why we may not see another Lagoon-sized park in Utah anytime soon was brought up awhile back on this forum by Z. I couldn't find the post, but he basically pointed out that it would cost tons of money just to secure a plot of land as big as Lagoon has in such close proximity to existing cities and major transportation routes.
I could see a small park being built in the Washington County/St. George area. It could pull from the central/southern utah population as well as pulling from vegas (eventually, if it had the right kind of attractions and vibe).
(09-27-2016, 08:22 PM)pbrandoj Wrote: I could see a small park being built in the Washington County/St. George area. It could pull from the central/southern utah population as well as pulling from vegas (eventually, if it had the right kind of attractions and vibe).

Probably has something to do with powers that be being allergic to the the idea of a water park being built around here, which would otherwise be considered a no-brainer.
I live in northern Utah County, and I've heard from a couple of people a rumor that Six Flags was reportedly considering building an amusement park in Pleasant Grove, though I'm not really sure where they'd put it if that was true (there's enough of PG that's been developed that I don't see any space available large enough for any decent-sized amusement park, at least not without tearing up one or more roads, although I'm thinking that maybe they might put it in west of I-15 somewhere).
Aww, Six Flags rumor, how ya been?! Haven't seen you in forever!

No. No way, no how. Not years ago when that rumor started, not now, not in the foreseeable future. Utah's just not that big for Six Flags to waste the money on.
(02-24-2017, 02:33 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Aww, Six Flags rumor, how ya been?! Haven't seen you in forever!

No. No way, no how. Not years ago when that rumor started, not now, not in the foreseeable future. Utah's just not that big for Six Flags to waste the money on.

And the rumor is back...
http://universe.byu.edu/wp-content/uploa...-chart.jpg

Utah can support a second park either now or in the future. Let's hope it isn't a Six Flags. We need a theme park IMO.
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(02-24-2017, 04:42 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: http://universe.byu.edu/wp-content/uploa...-chart.jpg

Utah can support a second park either now or in the future. Let's hope it isn't a Six Flags. We need a theme park IMO.

I agree. Another family owned amusement park would be awesome to compete with Lagoon.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West