What kind of ride will Lagoon add in 2017?
(03-18-2017, 09:35 PM)Willenator Wrote: Since Catapult was mentioned as a ride not drawn on the map, I thought it would be fun to see what else is missing from the map and only represented by a number. Here is a list of rides not drawn on the map that I've noticed so far: Hydro Luge, Wild Mouse, Air Race, Rock-O-Plane, Flying Aces, Space Scrambler, Tilt-A-Whirl, OdySea, Centennial Screamer, Tidal Wave, BomBora, and most the Kiddieland rides.

I'd noticed that as well.  Plus, a lot of the rides that do have pictures on the map don't seem to be quite in the locations they should be, and where they were (as memory serves me) depicted as being on the map that used to be on the Lagoon website (Turn of the Century is a bit more north than it actually is, and the Roller Coaster/Spider/Colossus/Wicked roller coasters seem to be in a somewhat different arrangement). The map overall looks more like an illustration in a childrens' book than the standard amusement park map.

As for the asterisks, I have to agree with DragonTamer on the double asterisk meaning "no single riders" - I know Jet Star 2 has always been a "no single riders" ride (or for at least as long as I can remember, anyway - if it wasn't always so, then that was before my time), and it's one of the two rides with the double asterisks (the other one being Sky Scraper, which would certainly be understandable if it did also have a "no single rider" policy).  I was tempted to say that the single asterisk ones were the roller coasters, but then realized that Colossus and Puff weren't so marked while Cliffhanger and Samurai were.
I'd like to have seen the Bat being faster, too.  My first experience with an invert roller coaster came at Great America, back when it was owned & operated by Paramount (yes, the movie studio), which is when that roller coaster was built.  It was a ride that was faster and longer than the Bat is, and was appropriately named "Top Gun" (after the Tom Cruise movie, though, since Cedar Fair now owns the park, it's now called "Flight Deck," presumably to avoid any copyright/licensing issues over the name).  I imagine that the Bat was designed the way it was based on the idea that Lagoon is perhaps trying to portray itself as more family-friendly than a lot of other amusement parks out there (which, in a way, is understandable, given the family-oriented environment of Utah), and so will have a lot of more kid-friendly rides or versions of rides.

It would also be interesting to see a mine train coaster ride at Lagoon, perhaps near Pioneer Village (keeping up with the whole "Old West" theme), especially considering a part of the history of roller coasters.  From the Wikipedia entry on "roller coaster":

"In 1827, a mining company in Summit Hill, Pennsylvania constructed the Mauch Chunk[/url] gravity railroad, an 8.7-mile (14.0 km) downhill track used to deliver coal to Mauch Chunk (now known as Jim Thorpe[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe,_Pennsylvania]), Pennsylvania. By the 1850s, the "Gravity Road" (as it became known) was providing rides to thrill-seekers for 50 cents a ride. Railway companies used similar tracks to provide amusement on days when ridership was low."

(As a side note, the Wikipedia article on roller coaster has a list of different kinds of roller coasters.)
As much as I welcome the new map, it is pretty sparse. They kinda hid Tidal Wave behind TOTC. I'm sure it's not meant to be accurate which is what they were trying too hard to do with the last one (and still got it all wrong). But they should have realized certain landmarks are important too include. The Opera House and the building between it and Coke Plaza is gone.

Top Gun was my first B&M. I loved it.
(03-19-2017, 02:04 AM)Gregory Wrote: I'd noticed that as well.  Plus, a lot of the rides that do have pictures on the map don't seem to be quite in the locations they should be, and where they were (as memory serves me) depicted as being on the map that used to be on the Lagoon website (Turn of the Century is a bit more north than it actually is, and the Roller Coaster/Spider/Colossus/Wicked roller coasters seem to be in a somewhat different arrangement).  The map overall looks more like an illustration in a childrens' book than the standard amusement park map.

As for the asterisks, I have to agree with DragonTamer on the double asterisk meaning "no single riders" - I know Jet Star 2 has always been a "no single riders" ride (or for at least as long as I can remember, anyway - if it wasn't always so, then that was before my time), and it's one of the two rides with the double asterisks (the other one being Sky Scraper, which would certainly be understandable if it did also have a "no single rider" policy).  I was tempted to say that the single asterisk ones were the roller coasters, but then realized that Colossus and Puff weren't so marked while Cliffhanger and Samurai were.

The map personnaly doesn't seem like much help when first visting the park. I like the illustrations, but it should have done beter execution. I really don't like it Tongue Shoutbox Fail Yucky
The Dude in the Coat
The single * means no loose items, if my meromy is correct
The Dude in the Coat
Did you ever see the "app" they created? It was a good idea but had some bugs that were never fixed. I would personally like to see the mobile map idea take off (plus it is a green solution).
(03-21-2017, 07:06 PM)DragonFire101AP Wrote: The single * means no loose items, if my meromy is correct

Somehow I doubt that's it, considering that all of Lagoon's rides have a "no loose articles" policy.
(03-21-2017, 08:18 PM)gregwibert Wrote: Did you ever see the "app" they created? It was a good idea but had some bugs that were never fixed. I would personally like to see the mobile map idea take off (plus it is a green solution).

They were hiring for a programming position a few weeks ago. A new app is not out of the possibility.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West