Deja moo...
...the feeling that you've heard this bull before:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=40861354&nid=148...t-petition
I put my mouse on the link, saw the name of the article in the link, and didn't even read it. I just don't care about this movement anymore and the stupid yearly petition.
Yeah, pretty much. If people would spend as much time getting educated as they do getting outraged, I think the world would be a lot better place.
I was thinking the same thing. I really think the biggest problem is just perception.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk
I think I'm more disappointed in the local news publishing the same story every year.

"Oh look. Someone has started a petition against Lagoon's treatment of animals. Quick, let's ask Lagoon about it."

Lagoon offers the same answers they do every year because nothing has changed since the previous year.

"Now we've got a story! Let's publish it!"

It would make more sense for the news agencies to take a different approach. Report that another petition has started, previous petitions have failed, and all the attempts people have done to shut down the zoo and how Lagoon keeps pushing forward. That would be a more accurate story and represent facts better. Instead, the articles come off sounding like this is something new and different when it is not. The only thing that has changed from what I can tell is who is pushing the petition for once.
Exactly. That would be a much better angle. The protesters were back today, probably using the momentum from this new petition. I think all of these activists are just proving they don't understand and would rather stand by the road, looking like fools and causing traffic problems in 100° weather.

Did you notice they used Deathbyillusion's videos? Nothing against him, but it probably didn't help the image of the conditions by having "deathbyillusion" on the screen.
(07-30-2016, 01:39 PM)Brădēn Wrote: Did you notice they used Deathbyillusion's videos? Nothing against him, but it probably didn't help the image of the conditions by having "deathbyillusion" on the screen.

No, but that is kind of funny in an evil sort of way.

I did put some thought into this today, and I came up with an idea. Instead of trying the same thing over and over again, it's time to get creative. Why not create a campaign to raise money to improve the cages at Lagoon? This would be a win-win in my book. Lagoon could keep their animals and the two teenagers can be happy that the animals have something nicer to live in. It would show Lagoon how much the public cares about the well-being of the animals and allow activists to really put their money where their mouth is.

I know it's not a perfect solution, it's better than creating a petition every year, protesting, and expecting different results. I wonder if Lagoon would even accept the money, but I think it would make a bigger statement to raise actual money for the animals that these people claim to care so much about.

One last though: after saying I didn't really care much about this, I have put way too much thinking into this. lol
(07-30-2016, 09:28 PM)Willenator Wrote: No, but that is kind of funny in an evil sort of way.

I did put some thought into this today, and I came up with an idea. Instead of trying the same thing over and over again, it's time to get creative. Why not create a campaign to raise money to improve the cages at Lagoon? This would be a win-win in my book. Lagoon could keep their animals and the two teenagers can be happy that the animals have something nicer to live in. It would show Lagoon how much the public cares about the well-being of the animals and allow activists to really put their money where their mouth is.

I know it's not a perfect solution, it's better than creating a petition every year, protesting, and expecting different results. I wonder if Lagoon would even accept the money, but I think it would make a bigger statement to raise actual money for the animals that these people claim to care so much about.

One last though: after saying I didn't really care much about this, I have put way too much thinking into this. lol

That would be perfect. I think the majority of people would just like to see a more comfortable, natural-looking living situation for the animals. And if that many people really claim to care, imagine how much money could be raised if all of those people contributed a few dollars. I really don't understand why the people protesting with signs on the roadside think they are making a difference. Most people think they're at least a little crazy or can't even tell what they are protesting or why.

But I wonder how much could actually be raised because I'm sure people wouldn't want to donate to a company that is clearly making plenty of money already. It's more of a matter of convincing them to allocate funds. I am all for improving the existing conditions. We know the animals are cared for. The more natural living areas would probably do more for the public perception than for the animals themselves.
(07-31-2016, 01:15 AM)Brădēn Wrote: That would be perfect. I think the majority of people would just like to see a more comfortable, natural-looking living situation for the animals. And if that many people really claim to care, imagine how much money could be raised if all of those people contributed a few dollars. I really don't understand why the people protesting with signs on the roadside think they are making a difference. Most people think they're at least a little crazy or can't even tell what they are protesting or why.

But I wonder how much could actually be raised because I'm sure people wouldn't want to donate to a company that is clearly making plenty of money already. It's more of a matter of convincing them to allocate funds. I am all for improving the existing conditions. We know the animals are cared for. The more natural living areas would probably do more for the public perception than for the animals themselves.

It raises an interesting philosophical question, though, and you guys have me really thinking...

- Clearly, there's a set of people out there who want to be active in driving a change to the Zoo,
- We know the animals are already being well cared for, and I think most people here would agree that more natural enclosures would improve perception,
- I imagine that many signing these annual petitions would be happier if the enclosures for the animals seemed more natural,
- I'm sure Lagoon would love to see positive media attention on this story,

Crazy thought: do you think there's anyone at Lagoon that we could talk to to coordinate starting a Kickstarter campaign to redesign the WK Zoo enclosures? Hear me out: the same people signing petitions could finally put their money where their mouth is and do something that Lagoon would actually pay attention to, and would show Lagoon and the media what the real support behind this actually might look like. If it turns out miraculous and the reserve is met, Lagoon actually has money and mandate to get the enclosures redesigned; at worst, it is a different media story about the problem and people realize that this is just a fringe idea no one's really behind (there'll be a tiny dollar amount to show for it).

It could be a great promotion, honestly: Lagoon could use Season Passports, merchandise, all sorts of stuff as perks for various donation tiers. It'd be a great way to have Lagoon show how much they care for the animals without responding to the ridiculous petitions that come up... seems like it might be a win-win idea. But, it only works if somebody from Lagoon gets on board.

I mean, yeah -- Lagoon clearly already has enough money to do it if it's a priority, so the fundraising thing is kind of a trojan horse. But, if you can use the Kickstarter campaign to show interest in a positive way AND get a few extra bucks to put toward the project, it would be awesome publicity for the park and would be a great way to "convince them to allocate funds," as you say.

Am I crazy? Wonder who we'd need to approach at Lagoon to even start talking about the idea?
(07-31-2016, 09:41 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: It raises an interesting philosophical question, though, and you guys have me really thinking...

- Clearly, there's a set of people out there who want to be active in driving a change to the Zoo,
- We know the animals are already being well cared for, and I think most people here would agree that more natural enclosures would improve perception,
- I imagine that many signing these annual petitions would be happier if the enclosures for the animals seemed more natural,
- I'm sure Lagoon would love to see positive media attention on this story,

Crazy thought:  do you think there's anyone at Lagoon that we could talk to to coordinate starting a Kickstarter campaign to redesign the WK Zoo enclosures?  Hear me out:  the same people signing petitions could finally put their money where their mouth is and do something that Lagoon would actually pay attention to, and would show Lagoon and the media what the real support behind this actually might look like.  If it turns out miraculous and the reserve is met, Lagoon actually has money and mandate to get the enclosures redesigned; at worst, it is a different media story about the problem and people realize that this is just a fringe idea no one's really behind (there'll be a tiny dollar amount to show for it).

It could be a great promotion, honestly: Lagoon could use Season Passports, merchandise, all sorts of stuff as perks for various donation tiers.  It'd be a great way to have Lagoon show how much they care for the animals without responding to the ridiculous petitions that come up... seems like it might be a win-win idea.  But, it only works if somebody from Lagoon gets on board.

I mean, yeah -- Lagoon clearly already has enough money to do it if it's a priority, so the fundraising thing is kind of a trojan horse.  But, if you can use the Kickstarter campaign to show interest in a positive way AND get a few extra bucks to put toward the project, it would be awesome publicity for the park and would be a great way to "convince them to allocate funds," as you say.

Am I crazy?  Wonder who we'd need to approach at Lagoon to even start talking about the idea?

Good idea. You would probably talk with Adam Leishman.

"Lagoon spokesman Adam Leishman has heard of Grace and Kenna’s petition. He said the U.S. Department of Agriculture frequently performs unannounced inspections on the zoo, and it has an excellent record.

“We have three veterinarians on staff. Each one of those veterinarians has a backup veterinarian if one of those veterinarians is unavailable or out of town,” he said, adding that the Lagoon animals get excellent care.
Several of the animals in the amusement park came from sanctuaries that were unable to take care of them financially, he said.
Lagoon does not have plans to relocate its animals. Leishman said the Wild Kingdom Train is one of the most popular attractions at the park."