VR Coaster Discussion
So I guess with Kyary Pamyu Pamyu XR Ride and The Flying Dinosaur happening this year, I need to revisit USJ after all.

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu XR Ride footage at 2:16 in this video:

If it isn't clear, you wear a VR headset on an actual roller coaster. Does anything else like this exist? Awesome idea or horrible idea?
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
Maybe with a more realistic virtual experience it would be better. If a motion simulator can make sitting in a box more exciting, I'm sure a virtual coaster would be worth checking out.
(02-24-2016, 12:41 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: If it isn't clear, you wear a VR headset on an actual roller coaster. Does anything else like this exist? Awesome idea or horrible idea?

The VR headset on a rollercoaster is becoming a thing. Alton Towers is doing this with their flying coaster: Virtual reality turns Alton Towers flying coaster into intergalactic spaceship

I think it's a great idea. It's a fun way to convert a coaster into a whole new experience. I was reading about this idea a few months back where designers were saying they could create a roller coaster that offers multiple VR experiences, so every time you ride it, you see something new.
It looks to me like she's riding a real coaster. Based on the fact that earlier in the video the external shot her hair and earrings are being impacted by gravity a lot.
(02-24-2016, 01:21 PM)1stRainbowRose Wrote: It looks to me like she's riding a real coaster. Based on the fact that earlier in the video the external shot her hair and earrings are being impacted by gravity a lot.

Yeah, it is real. It's an indoor spinning coaster called "Space Fantasy" when not using a VR headset. I'm not sure if the cars also spin in Kyary Pamyu Pamyu XR Ride mode.
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
Air was pretty good, but it was clearly a "Proof of Concept" type Ride.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Maybe that is why Air is getting the VR makeover. Another chance at a proof of concept? Either way this is interesting to see.
(02-24-2016, 11:24 PM)Willenator Wrote: Maybe that is why Air is getting the VR makeover. Another chance at a proof of concept? Either way this is interesting to see.

It would be the first B&M I believe, and it's definitely a cheaper alternative to a New Ride, but I don't believe B&M is behind the project like MACK and HUSS are.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
It looks like both Galactica and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu XR Ride use Samsung Gear headsets. At first I was thinking that parks might start to do this as an up-charge thing, but now I'm thinking that it could develop into a homebrew/artist/community thing with such easily accessibly technology, if parks actually allow people to wear their own headsets on rides.

It's not clear to me how Kyary Pamyu Pamyu XR Ride deals with the spinning/rear facing seats on Space Fantasy.
  • A distinct name
  • Describes the ride
(02-25-2016, 01:23 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: It looks like both Galactica and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu XR Ride use Samsung Gear headsets. At first I was thinking that parks might start to do this as an up-charge thing, but now I'm thinking that it could develop into a homebrew/artist/community thing with such easily accessibly technology, if parks actually allow people to wear their own headsets on rides.

It's not clear to me how Kyary Pamyu Pamyu XR Ride deals with the spinning/rear facing seats on Space Fantasy.

Admittedly, I haven't paid too much attention to the VR stuff, but is this a Wireless System that requires no On Board Equipment?