Rides Surrounding Cannibal
This site has been dead for a while now, so I figured something of discussion could be made. For this, it's the rides and their new relationship with Cannibal. Quite a few experiences have changed for the surrounding rides with Cannibal, and wondering what people's thoughts are for them. It can by Skyscraper, or it can be a ride on the other side of the park.

For example, I feel the Skyscraper is in the worst position now that Cannibal is around. I feel it should be moved to a place where you can get better views of the surrounding area, and not just veiws of The back end of Cannibal's tower. Even before that, you see Rocket and Catapult always obstructing what would be good views of the mountainside.
Moving Skyscraper, huh? Now that's ambitious!

To be honest, I dislike Skyscraper next to Cannibal, but for an entirely different reason (I actually like getting the elevated view of Cannibal from Skyscraper): I think it ruins the view of Cannibal from the midway, and it really mucks up the traffic flow in that area.

Honestly, if they could do one thing to improve the north end of the park for me, it'd be getting rid of the stupid one-way street that the Cannibal Viewing Area is. Every time we had anybody in our party riding Cannibal this year, there were always non-riding family members. It was very convenient for them to step out of line and wait at HHD, but then when we got off, it was always frustrating to have to walk counter-clockwise all the way around Skyscraper to get back to them. I also think that if they're not going to massively overhaul the old Pit Row building and turn it into a themed stand to go along with Cannibal, they just need to get rid of it. Between Pit Row & Skyscraper, feels like Cannibal is hidden behind a wall from the north midway, which is kind of a shame.

Just for purposes of pure entertainment--because I think Skyscraper has a democrat's choice in Utah of getting moved--I think an interesting place for it to be would be to get rid of Cliffhanger, rearrange the Spider entrance (assuming Spider is still there), and put Skyscraper in an east-west alignment just north of Wild Mouse. You'd still get a good view of the surrounding scenery, and it wouldn't have much competing for height down there. I think it might even be *more* visible from the freeway that way. I wonder though: with that being old lake fill down there, from an Engineering point of view, if it'd be worth the effort to get a good footing for something that tall? ::scratches head:: Eh, will never happen, just fun to play with the idea.
(12-09-2015, 08:25 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Honestly, if they could do one thing to improve the north end of the park for me, it'd be getting rid of the stupid one-way street that the Cannibal Viewing Area is. Every time we had anybody in our party riding Cannibal this year, there were always non-riding family members. It was very convenient for them to step out of line and wait at HHD, but then when we got off, it was always frustrating to have to walk counter-clockwise all the way around Skyscraper to get back to them. I also think that if they're not going to massively overhaul the old Pit Row building and turn it into a themed stand to go along with Cannibal, they just need to get rid of it. Between Pit Row & Skyscraper, feels like Cannibal is hidden behind a wall from the north midway, which is kind of a shame.

Just for purposes of pure entertainment--because I think Skyscraper has a democrat's choice in Utah of getting moved--I think an interesting place for it to be would be to get rid of Cliffhanger, rearrange the Spider entrance (assuming Spider is still there), and put Skyscraper in an east-west alignment just north of Wild Mouse. You'd still get a good view of the surrounding scenery, and it wouldn't have much competing for height down there. I think it might even be *more* visible from the freeway that way. I wonder though: with that being old lake fill down there, from an Engineering point of view, if it'd be worth the effort to get a good footing for something that tall? ::scratches head:: Eh, will never happen, just fun to play with the idea.

Lagoon did have seating over by Pit Row building for the year, and had a convenient one-way gate to wait for your party in that area. I don't see how HHD would be the most convenient place when Pit Row was much more convenient.

For the first year, and not having Pit Row open as the gift shop it was supposed to be, really hindered the entire area to be honest. Channeling traffic through that small walkway between the fence and DTR got pretty messy. When Lagoon opens back up Pit Row as Cannibal's gift shop and ticket sells for DTR, I believe that entire area will work out better. Non-riders could most likely wait in there, (where either they will have seating under the "patio" again or have a small snack area with tables to sit at and grab a snack) and all of Cannibal's riders exit out of that. Traffic going in and out of the new gift shop will make the entire area feel much more open, and help with your dilemma. I sure hope the exterior changes for Pit Row as well, but I'm not holding my breath for nothing more than a paint job and re-branding.

With moving Skyscraper, I think the best place would be where the entrance is now if they ever plan on making a new entrance with the rumor of new gates and/or parking lot. The only issue I see is it would leave a huge space for nothing where it sit currently, and I think that would be call for new bathrooms! Basically, a two-sided entry just like the ones for the pavillions would work perfect there. That way, all the foliage could still be there. All of that foliage on the north side needs to stay, or it will feel hotter than it does now. However, definitely all pipe dreams and wishful thinking.

Speaking of the foliage, does anybody else feel the new pathway has somehow made Samurai's ride experience better? It doesn't feel like it's on the edge of the park with a barren, dry field anymore and makes it a bit more green. I bet once all those new trees grow in, that entire area will feel as well as the other side. I don't know about anyone else, but Lagoon's south side always felt like a better atmosphere than the north side, and I think Cannibal's new path way foliage will help that out, even now with what I've expressed with Samurai.
I think the area directly behind Sky Scraper needs more seating. Those animal shaped benches aren't enough. I'd always see people crowding onto them or bringing chairs over from the "patio" behind Pit Row. If you think it's a long wait for the ride it's even longer for a non rider who can't get a good view of the ride while in the shade. Even there it's not that shady.
(12-09-2015, 08:25 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Moving Skyscraper, huh? Now that's ambitious!

To be honest, I dislike Skyscraper next to Cannibal, but for an entirely different reason (I actually like getting the elevated view of Cannibal from Skyscraper): I think it ruins the view of Cannibal from the midway, and it really mucks up the traffic flow in that area.

Honestly, if they could do one thing to improve the north end of the park for me, it'd be getting rid of the stupid one-way street that the Cannibal Viewing Area is. Every time we had anybody in our party riding Cannibal this year, there were always non-riding family members. It was very convenient for them to step out of line and wait at HHD, but then when we got off, it was always frustrating to have to walk counter-clockwise all the way around Skyscraper to get back to them. I also think that if they're not going to massively overhaul the old Pit Row building and turn it into a themed stand to go along with Cannibal, they just need to get rid of it. Between Pit Row & Skyscraper, feels like Cannibal is hidden behind a wall from the north midway, which is kind of a shame.

Since Sky Scraper is Transportable, it doesn't Require a Foundation. In fact, right no Sky Scraper isn't on a Slab at all. Cliffhanger won't be going anywhere for many more years, as it fills it's purpose as a Water Ride. However, when Cliffhanger's Time is Up, it wouldn't be a bad location.
(12-10-2015, 01:29 AM)RCF Wrote: Lagoon did have seating over by Pit Row building for the year, and had a convenient one-way gate to wait for your party in that area. I don't see how HHD would be the most convenient place when Pit Row was much more convenient.

For the first year, and not having Pit Row open as the gift shop it was supposed to be, really hindered the entire area to be honest. Channeling traffic through that small walkway between the fence and DTR got pretty messy. When Lagoon opens back up Pit Row as Cannibal's gift shop and ticket sells for DTR, I believe that entire area will work out better. Non-riders could most likely wait in there, (where either they will have seating under the "patio" again or have a small snack area with tables to sit at and grab a snack) and all of Cannibal's riders exit out of that. Traffic going in and out of the new gift shop will make the entire area feel much more open, and help with your dilemma. I sure hope the exterior changes for Pit Row as well, but I'm not holding my breath for nothing more than a paint job and re-branding.

With moving Skyscraper, I think the best place would be where the entrance is now if they ever plan on making a new entrance with the rumor of new gates and/or parking lot. The only issue I see is it would leave a huge space for nothing where it sit currently, and I think that would be call for new bathrooms! Basically, a two-sided entry just like the ones for the pavillions would work perfect there. That way, all the foliage could still be there. All of that foliage on the north side needs to stay, or it will feel hotter than it does now. However, definitely all pipe dreams and wishful thinking.

Speaking of the foliage, does anybody else feel the new pathway has somehow made Samurai's ride experience better? It doesn't feel like it's on the edge of the park with a barren, dry field anymore and makes it a bit more green. I bet once all those new trees grow in, that entire area will feel as well as the other side. I don't know about anyone else, but Lagoon's south side always felt like a better atmosphere than the north side, and I think Cannibal's new path way foliage will help that out, even now with what I've expressed with Samurai.
I don't think people understood the whole deal with that. The One Way Gate allows people to wait in line, and leave to wait at the Exit. It also prevented Line Jumping. Once the Old Pit Row Building is Dealt With, everything will work as intended with Traffic Flow.
(12-11-2015, 12:37 AM)Brădēn Wrote: I think the area directly behind Sky Scraper needs more seating. Those animal shaped benches aren't enough. I'd always see people crowding onto them or bringing chairs over from the "patio" behind Pit Row. If you think it's a long wait for the ride it's even longer for a non rider who can't get a good view of the ride while in the shade. Even there it's not that shady.
Except for the Main Midway and Kiddieland, this is where I think Lagoon could improve on. There are many places I feel would benefit from more Bench Seating.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island