Lagoon 2016
I just realized this is the first time on this site where Lagoon has closed for the season, and we don't really have any rumors or speculation to discuss regarding the upcoming year. I usually end Lagoon's season with a big post about what to expect from us during the winter, and I don't have anything really to write this year. I'm at a loss. It's weird. Add on the fact that we've been talking about Lagoon's next big coaster since Wicked, I find myself in a situation where I don't know what to look forward to now. Anyone else feeling the same way?

Well, I thought I'd create a topic for us to discuss upcoming changes to Lagoon for next year. I'm curious if anyone has heard anything even if it is a rumor. You could even discuss about what you are hoping to see. Do you think Lagoon will get a small ride next year, go with a unique entertainment choice, or do something else? We have five months of no Lagoon ahead of us, so let's make the most of it. Smile

We Can Now Confirm the Following for 2016:
Spider, Moonraker, and OdySea's Gondola's are being Repainted for 2016
Roller Coaster's West Curve Rebuild has been Completed, leaving the GCI Rebuilt Middle Hills as the Only Non Top to Bottom Rebuilt Sections since 1996.
I'm sure they'll be working at Cannibal almost every day this winter. Also, Turn of the Century will be getting some work done in the queue line, but I'm not sure exactly what will be done.
I think I might've read somewhere in the forum about spider being up for sale? Is this still true or was it ever true?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
Funny Will, I was just having a similar thought the other day.

Haven't heard anything myself, but it's not exactly like I'm in the loop on these things anymore. Personally, to be honest, I think it'd be okay if they didn't have anything new or big ride/attraction-wise next year. They just had a huge year with Cannibal. Frankly, I'd rather see them focus their energy on making some incremental improvements to the park (if anything), and coming up with some awesome plans for celebrating the big 130.

I think it'd be great -- and I may be losing it, but maybe this is already a pretty-much sure thing -- to see the Pit Row/Cannibal viewing area overhauled for the start of next year. Having to make the big circle back around to meet up with folks after picking up items from the cubby system was a bit awkward this year, IMHO. Just make the area open from both ends, and once the store's set up with a nice indoor merchandising stand, that'll really spruce up the area.

Something else I think is due: it's time for the parking lot to have a massive overhaul. The pavement on the main lot is shot... if it doesn't see some attention soon it's going to just be rubble in places. The lots are so segregated now, especially on the increasingly-common overflow days with everybody parking out in the field. The entrance feels like it's far away from the park almost. And the capacity to support traffic leaving at the end of the night just doesn't feel like it's there. I know there's been talk before about moving the entrance to the park to the north end or moving the main lot to the field... maybe it's time to seriously start looking at some of that. It'd be nice to have a higher-capacity entrance/exit closer to Park Lane on the north side, possibly with a bit more redundancy and smoother flow. Who knows... maybe I'm crazy, just feels like with the grandstand gone and all of the other demolition of out-buildings on the north end, it might be time to finally pull that trigger & come up with a more cohesive, efficient parking solution for the park.

And for the love of all that is holy, it's time to figure out how to make the lake not stink. I know it's damned due to the crappy flow from Farmington Creek during most of the year, but... seriously, there were several days at the park this year I didn't want to be south of Roller Coaster because the stench was so nauseating. It definitely didn't make me want to spend time at any of the food stands down there.
I think there will be a more dark-ride-esque experience in the station/tower of Cannibal, and I saw a post that leads me to believe they're rebuilding more of Roller Coaster.

They might build a ride as well, but if so it'll probably be a kiddie ride. Maybe one of these?

http://www.zamperla.com/products/kite-flyer/
I like dark rides

(11-03-2015, 03:20 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: I think there will be a more dark-ride-esque experience in the station/tower of Cannibal, and I saw a post that leads me to believe they're rebuilding more of Roller Coaster.

They might build a ride as well, but if so it'll probably be a kiddie ride. Maybe one of these?

Thinking of kiddie rides next year, I would think Lagoon going for Zamperla's Jump Around or Happy Swing. Maybe Skyline's Crazy Couch if they wanted to be unique.

I agree completely with moving the entrance, parking lot, and main gate into the park. It has been rumored a few times on here, and I think that after Cannibal, the next major investment would be an expansion, not a huge ride. On the list of rides, I see very few rides that are still needed or replaced.

I remember hearing the rumor for Spider being replaced too, and would be OK with it if they still kept the family theme of a ride everyone enjoys. Jet Star 2 should go too. It has past it's prime and the 50" height requirement is high for Lagoon's low height requirement for most of it's rides. Wicked is 46" and Cannibal is 48." You could ride those before being able to ride Jet Star.

Cliffhanger's ride is way too tame for, again, a high height requirement, and Hydro Luge has a really low ride capacity. They should be replaced with other water rides for the thrill, and better capacity. Even Log Flume always has a slow line, it would be exciting if they decided to go back to the idea of making it longer like they did in the 90's before RSR came around.

For rides added, a modern wooden coaster, Frisbee ride, and maybe a few more kiddie rides just to make Kiddieland the largest in the U.S.
My biggest request is something at least new at L.A.B. I know they just added a slide two years ago, but it replaced another slide with a very similar layout. Really, all of L.A.B. needs to be redone and expanded. It meets capacity multiple times throughout the seasons. They could move it to the current parking lot if the new one on the field ever happened. That way, there is tons of room for expansion in the middle of the park and for L.A.B. itself.

I believe this has turned into a thread of what Lagoon's next big investment will be. I think that's why we don't have anything to discuss. The next big investment for a family amusement park after an extremely large, 26 million dollar ride isn't the same as the other parks, where another multi-million dollar coaster would come around again in the foreseeable future.
This may not be a popular opinion due to the increase in controversy over the last few years, but the animal display really needs to go away. When I went on Frightmares, it was just... depressing. The animals were lethargic and not doing much. The enclosures are small. Big cats in cages are a sad scene. I know Wild Kingdom is a popular ride for the 'family' side of Lagoon but it's tacky overall.
Man, another woodie sure would be nice... but as mentioned plenty of times before, where? I always think a woodie would be a great thematic addition to PV, but beyond the point that there's just nowhere to put it back there, there's no way in Zion that the Farmington residents back there are going to put up with something that noisy, that close. Which pretty much just leaves (a) the field (and still kinda close to residents), leaving the parking lot where it is for the foreseeable future, or (b) after moving the parking lot, where the main lot is now (near Roller Coaster). Not entirely sure it's a good or bad thing to put all of your woodies in one basket, so to speak (even if for no other reason than fire protection), but it might work. Just would be nice to have something other than a concrete slab to put a nice, new woodie on.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure a woodie is a LONG way off... big investment, not only up-front costs, but for ongoing maintenance expense/time. Fun to dream, though!

As for Kiddieland, I almost think it might be worth looking into a Kiddieland redesign before adding much in the way of new rides. I know I grew up with Kiddieland being a fairly small, contiguous area, but darned if Kiddieland doesn't feel strung out these days. Kinda partly the fault of the linear design of the park (another benefit to moving the lot north & opening up room for westward expansion), but sheesh, by the time you walk from Merry-go-Round, through Downtown Kiddieland, and on up past Bulgy to OdySea... heck, you've essentially covered half of the overall park. Might be fun to have a somewhat more explicit Kiddieland zone with rides more centrally located, maybe some other kid-friendly non-ride attractions (such as kid-friendly games/snacks/play areas).

I actually kinda like L.A.B. where it is, minus it's landlocked-ness. It's a nice throwback to the swimming pools that used to be there. Beyond that, I'll bow out of that thread... me & waterparks are like... well, let's just say my "Splash Level" is "Atacama Desert". ;-)
(11-03-2015, 10:15 PM)cbusylol Wrote: This may not be a popular opinion due to the increase in controversy over the last few years, but the animal display really needs to go away. When I went on Frightmares, it was just... depressing. The animals were lethargic and not doing much. The enclosures are small. Big cats in cages are a sad scene. I know Wild Kingdom is a popular ride for the 'family' side of Lagoon but it's tacky overall.
Besides the common knowledge broadcast on here about the actual care these animals get, the only reason they look so bad is the exhibits. The animals at Hogle Zoo look quite the same, but the nice show exhibits they have make it look like a different story, as well as room.

Another piece not well talked about, the animals they have there are actually refugees, as this is the only place for them to live or they would be killed. With that in mind, if Lagoon ever thought of taking a huge overhaul and having less animals to create bigger, extravangent homes for a select few, the rest would be placed back into a foster care, most being killed. Same would happen if they decided to remove the animals all together. When they have room, it has been explained the program they are with (can't remember the name,) pleads with Lagoon to take care of another animal. So Lagoon is in a tough situation where they are getting horrible publicity for animals and not having options to make the situation better.

Personally, I would wish they took the animals somewhere else as well. As explained, Lagoon basically can't for they do actually love and care for their animals.
I would like to see Samurai and Spider Repainted, and some Asphalt Replacement on the Midways. I don't believe we will see any new Rides next year, especially considering Cannibal can still be Marketed as New and the Park spent 26 Million Dollars on it thus far.

(11-02-2015, 10:02 PM)Cannibal Crazy Wrote: I think I might've read somewhere in the forum about spider being up for sale? Is this still true or was it ever true?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
According to our Sources, Yes, Spider is Still on the Market. Also, according to our Sources, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and Knoebel's Grove came and took a Gander at Spider a Couple Years ago. Current Rumors Suggest Spider may be Repainted for 2016. One Car on Spider also has New Non Maurer Wheel Housings Installed.

(11-03-2015, 02:42 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Funny Will, I was just having a similar thought the other day.

Haven't heard anything myself, but it's not exactly like I'm in the loop on these things anymore. Personally, to be honest, I think it'd be okay if they didn't have anything new or big ride/attraction-wise next year. They just had a huge year with Cannibal. Frankly, I'd rather see them focus their energy on making some incremental improvements to the park (if anything), and coming up with some awesome plans for celebrating the big 130.

I think it'd be great -- and I may be losing it, but maybe this is already a pretty-much sure thing -- to see the Pit Row/Cannibal viewing area overhauled for the start of next year. Having to make the big circle back around to meet up with folks after picking up items from the cubby system was a bit awkward this year, IMHO. Just make the area open from both ends, and once the store's set up with a nice indoor merchandising stand, that'll really spruce up the area.

Something else I think is due: it's time for the parking lot to have a massive overhaul. The pavement on the main lot is shot... if it doesn't see some attention soon it's going to just be rubble in places. The lots are so segregated now, especially on the increasingly-common overflow days with everybody parking out in the field. The entrance feels like it's far away from the park almost. And the capacity to support traffic leaving at the end of the night just doesn't feel like it's there. I know there's been talk before about moving the entrance to the park to the north end or moving the main lot to the field... maybe it's time to seriously start looking at some of that. It'd be nice to have a higher-capacity entrance/exit closer to Park Lane on the north side, possibly with a bit more redundancy and smoother flow. Who knows... maybe I'm crazy, just feels like with the grandstand gone and all of the other demolition of out-buildings on the north end, it might be time to finally pull that trigger & come up with a more cohesive, efficient parking solution for the park.

And for the love of all that is holy, it's time to figure out how to make the lake not stink. I know it's damned due to the crappy flow from Farmington Creek during most of the year, but... seriously, there were several days at the park this year I didn't want to be south of Roller Coaster because the stench was so nauseating. It definitely didn't make me want to spend time at any of the food stands down there.

Lagoon's Patchwork Parking Lot is Just Fine and Dandy. I would much rather see Capital Expenditures used Inside the Park to Enhance the Guest Experience. I would bet a Million Bucks Lagoon's Management has Never received a Guest Complaint wanting a Repaved Parking Lot. lol

Relocation of the Auto Gate and Possible New Main Entrance is a Long Term Goal with no Time Table. In regards to Traffic Flow at Park Closing, call UDOT. Any Road Improvements are their Responsibility, and the Recent Reconfiguration of Park Lane Between the Frontage Road and Station Park didn't really improve anything for Lagoon's Benefit.

The Great Salt Lake and Lagoon Lake are going to to Stink from Time to Time.

(11-03-2015, 03:20 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: I think there will be a more dark-ride-esque experience in the station/tower of Cannibal, and I saw a post that leads me to believe they're rebuilding more of Roller Coaster.

Sections of Roller Coaster are Rebuilt EVERY Year. Wink

(11-03-2015, 05:15 PM)RCF Wrote: Thinking of kiddie rides next year, I would think Lagoon going for Zamperla's Jump Around or Happy Swing. Maybe Skyline's Crazy Couch if they wanted to be unique.

I agree completely with moving the entrance, parking lot, and main gate into the park. It has been rumored a few times on here, and I think that after Cannibal, the next major investment would be an expansion, not a huge ride. On the list of rides, I see very few rides that are still needed or replaced.

I remember hearing the rumor for Spider being replaced too, and would be OK with it if they still kept the family theme of a ride everyone enjoys. Jet Star 2 should go too. It has past it's prime and the 50" height requirement is high for Lagoon's low height requirement for most of it's rides. Wicked is 46" and Cannibal is 48." You could ride those before being able to ride Jet Star.

Cliffhanger's ride is way too tame for, again, a high height requirement, and Hydro Luge has a really low ride capacity. They should be replaced with other water rides for the thrill, and better capacity. Even Log Flume always has a slow line, it would be exciting if they decided to go back to the idea of making it longer like they did in the 90's before RSR came around.

For rides added, a modern wooden coaster, Frisbee ride, and maybe a few more kiddie rides just to make Kiddieland the largest in the U.S.
My biggest request is something at least new at L.A.B. I know they just added a slide two years ago, but it replaced another slide with a very similar layout. Really, all of L.A.B. needs to be redone and expanded. It meets capacity multiple times throughout the seasons. They could move it to the current parking lot if the new one on the field ever happened. That way, there is tons of room for expansion in the middle of the park and for L.A.B. itself.

I believe this has turned into a thread of what Lagoon's next big investment will be. I think that's why we don't have anything to discuss. The next big investment for a family amusement park after an extremely large, 26 million dollar ride isn't the same as the other parks, where another multi-million dollar coaster would come around again in the foreseeable future.
Jet Star 2 is an EXTREMELY Aggressive Coaster that Requires the 50" Minimum Height Requirement.

Cliffhanger and Samurai have the Lowest Height Requirements of all 4 Splashovers and all 35+ Top Scans.

Rip Curl is a New Slide with a New Profile that required a lot of Alterations to the Columns.

(11-03-2015, 10:15 PM)cbusylol Wrote: This may not be a popular opinion due to the increase in controversy over the last few years, but the animal display really needs to go away. When I went on Frightmares, it was just... depressing. The animals were lethargic and not doing much. The enclosures are small. Big cats in cages are a sad scene. I know Wild Kingdom is a popular ride for the 'family' side of Lagoon but it's tacky overall.
You don't get to have an Opinion on Lagoon's Animals, since you have Never worked with ANY of the Types of Animals Lagoon spends Millions of Dollars on each year. Guess what? I HAVE worked with some of those Animals you are suggesting are not well cared for. Go to Hogle Zoo and tell me what their Same Animals do at the Exact Same Time on the Exact Same Day and you will find they are doing the EXACT same thing. Lagoon's Enclosures and Care EXCEED those put forth by the USDA. You can complain all you want about Habitats this and Habitats that like Such and Such a Place. Guess what, Animals aren't "On Display" 24/7 365 and when they are Off Display, their accommodations are Exactly the Same as Lagoon's. Lagoon's Enclosures are also Easier to Maintain and Keep Clean, meaning keeping the Animals in Better Health than those who get sick in Habitats at Zoos. A Large Amount of Lagoon's Animals came to Lagoon after Several Zoos and even So Called "Sanctuaries," supported by PETA none the less, closed during the Recession. These Animals, like others in Lagoon's Care, Faced Euthanasia until Lagoon stepped in to give them a home and life. The so called "Sanctuaries" PETA and the UARC have supposedly contacted and "agreed" to give homes to Lagoon's Animals had and still have NO ROOM for them. PETA and the UARC are full of crap and their "Facts" are nothing more than Opinuendo. Seriously, you can look up Lagoon's Inspection Records, which are Open to the Public for Free, prove what I say. PETA and the UARC can't use those to Prove their supposed "Facts." I mean, if these Animals were actually mistreated, do you really think the Local Media wouldn't be all over that? I mean PETA and the UARC can't get the Local Media to Investigate because a Simple Google Search, Dictionary, and Thesaurus prove their opinions incorrect. I mean, not even the LDS Church's Mommy Bloggers (KSL & Deseret "News") have taken PETA and the UARC Accusations Seriously, because they aren't legitimate. It's also worth noting DHS, FBI, ATF, etc., Classify PETA and all Organizations Affiliated as "Domestic Terrorists" along the same lines as the Klu Klux Clan, Cults, Nut Jobs, etc.

5 Minutes on Google Prove the Points I've Made and absolutely cannot be Refuted. Educate yourself....it's never too late.

If you think I'm being rude, inconsiderate, condescending, snarky, etc., you are damn right I am. Every accusation you made is Deeply and Personally Offensive. You might as well spit on my ancestors graves. Until you work and care for these beautiful Animals, you cannot truly understand what Lengths Lagoon goes to to ensure the Health and Happiness of their Animals. Lagoon has had Animals like the ones they have now for most of their History. Would I love to see new Enclosures/Habitats Built? Sure, but the Current Facilities are Fine, and spending the ridiculous amount of money to build habitats, just for no one to Notice and for PETA and the UARC to still complain because their Agenda and Fetish for Euthanizing Animals, just doesn't make sense.

(11-03-2015, 11:44 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Man, another woodie sure would be nice... but as mentioned plenty of times before, where? I always think a woodie would be a great thematic addition to PV, but beyond the point that there's just nowhere to put it back there, there's no way in Zion that the Farmington residents back there are going to put up with something that noisy, that close. Which pretty much just leaves (a) the field (and still kinda close to residents), leaving the parking lot where it is for the foreseeable future, or (b) after moving the parking lot, where the main lot is now (near Roller Coaster). Not entirely sure it's a good or bad thing to put all of your woodies in one basket, so to speak (even if for no other reason than fire protection), but it might work. Just would be nice to have something other than a concrete slab to put a nice, new woodie on.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure a woodie is a LONG way off... big investment, not only up-front costs, but for ongoing maintenance expense/time. Fun to dream, though!

As for Kiddieland, I almost think it might be worth looking into a Kiddieland redesign before adding much in the way of new rides. I know I grew up with Kiddieland being a fairly small, contiguous area, but darned if Kiddieland doesn't feel strung out these days. Kinda partly the fault of the linear design of the park (another benefit to moving the lot north & opening up room for westward expansion), but sheesh, by the time you walk from Merry-go-Round, through Downtown Kiddieland, and on up past Bulgy to OdySea... heck, you've essentially covered half of the overall park. Might be fun to have a somewhat more explicit Kiddieland zone with rides more centrally located, maybe some other kid-friendly non-ride attractions (such as kid-friendly games/snacks/play areas).

I actually kinda like L.A.B. where it is, minus it's landlocked-ness. It's a nice throwback to the swimming pools that used to be there. Beyond that, I'll bow out of that thread... me & waterparks are like... well, let's just say my "Splash Level" is "Atacama Desert". ;-)
I don't care how Kiddieland has Grown, just that it has. I mean, next to Disneyland, Lagoon has the Largest Amount of Family Rides with Absolutely NO HEIGHT REQUIREMENTS, including Jumping Dragon, Log Flume, OdySea, Kontiki, Puff, Red Rock Rally, and Tipsey Tea Cups. My 10 Month Old Nephew was able to Ride Red Rock Rally, Tipsey Tea Cups, OdySea, and Jumping Dragon back in 2014! Smile

(11-04-2015, 12:13 AM)RCF Wrote: Besides the common knowledge broadcast on here about the actual care these animals get, the only reason they look so bad is the exhibits. The animals at Hogle Zoo look quite the same, but the nice show exhibits they have make it look like a different story, as well as room.

Another piece not well talked about, the animals they have there are actually refugees, as this is the only place for them to live or they would be killed. With that in mind, if Lagoon ever thought of taking a huge overhaul and having less animals to create bigger, extravangent homes for a select few, the rest would be placed back into a foster care, most being killed. Same would happen if they decided to remove the animals all together. When they have room, it has been explained the program they are with (can't remember the name,) pleads with Lagoon to take care of another animal. So Lagoon is in a tough situation where they are getting horrible publicity for animals and not having options to make the situation better.

Personally, I would wish they took the animals somewhere else as well. As explained, Lagoon basically can't for they do actually love and care for their animals.
I believe you are referring to the Citations regarding the USDA's Desire for Lagoon to Implement a Facility Wide Husbandry/Breeding Program, which would require Animals to have less space and/or Lagoon housing "In Transit" Animals from Closed Facilities, including those PETA Supported/Endorsed, but not Funded by, to avoid them being Euthanized.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island