Lightning Rod - Dollywood - New For 2016
I love the beams at the top of the lift hill. Its to keep Bees from sitting in a swarm at the top of the lift. A common problem with many of Dollywood's tall attractions. Causing lots of downtime.
Looks like the RMC trains finally showed up. Gotta give credit for the artistry: those are some gorgeous cars.

Honest question: I can't for the life of me figure why people still consider this a "wood" coaster, while rides like Joker or Twisted Colossus are considered "steel" (or, at best, "hybrid") coasters. IMHO, they all share the same overall structural paradigm of steel rails on wood frames, so seems to me they'd all be considered "hybrid" instead of "wood".

Kind of a funny gray zone of distinction, I guess: I mean, if we're being technical, Roller Coaster has a steel rail on a wooden frame, it's just that it's very thin compared to Lightning Rod's. Wink (Come to think of it, while I know the top & side rails on Roller Coaster are steel plates on top of the wood, I'm totally pulling a brain fart on whether the up-stops on Roller Coaster run against the wood or have a steel plate between the wood & track; anybody remember?)
(02-04-2016, 12:15 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Honest question:  I can't for the life of me figure why people still consider this a "wood" coaster, while rides like Joker or Twisted Colossus are considered "steel" (or, at best, "hybrid") coasters.  IMHO, they all share the same overall structural paradigm of steel rails on wood frames, so seems to me they'd all be considered "hybrid" instead of "wood".

I suppose you're implying any of it matters outside of the park's want to advertise an attraction. Parks can really say anything they want to on that front.
Besides, what would enthusiasts go back and forth about during the off-season if not for "Steel vs Hybrid vs Wood" and "Does this really count as an inversion?".

I agree with you though. To me The defining factor (on top of the usual) is what principally gives the track its shape.  In my opinion, RMC's steel Topper Track and I-Box Track are all hybrid. Although I suppose a case could be made for the Topper Track layouts to be wooden, RMC's design goes above and beyond what traditional Steel Topper Track is capable of. 

In the end, the park can market the ride to the GP as whatever they want to.
I just found a Twitter account that announces when Lightning Rod is open. The sarcasm on the account is awesome just looking at some of the tweets. Check it out for a laugh: https://twitter.com/lightningrodops
(06-16-2017, 05:53 PM)Willenator Wrote: I just found a Twitter account that announces when Lightning Rod is open. The sarcasm on the account is awesome just looking at some of the tweets. Check it out for a laugh: https://twitter.com/lightningrodops
That's Hilarious! This is the Lemon that just keeps giving!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Saw that on /r/rollercoasters earlier... pretty awesome! :D