Two Trains Collide on Smiler at Alton Towers
An accident involving two coaster cars on the Smiler has happened at Alton Towers. 4 have serious leg injuries.

Read the full Story Here: June 2nd, Accident

Video here: Video
[url=http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32980354][/url]
That's awful. When watching the video I was thinking that the ride had longer trains than I had remembered... until I realized that I was watching two trains fused together. I think those pencil-eraser style bumpers like Wicked/Cannibal have would have made a big difference here.
Click here for eternal salvation.

(06-02-2015, 02:38 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: That's awful. When watching the video I was thinking that the ride had longer trains than I had remembered... until I realized that I was watching two trains fused together. I think those pencil-eraser style bumpers like Wicked/Cannibal have would have made a big difference here.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the Bumpers are Designed for Impacts, or else they would have heavy duty ones like Roller Coaster.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Looking at the Smiler trains, it has one of them on the back, but not the front. The one on the back makes contact with a steel plate under the front of the platform. I bet having them stick out from both ends like Wicked would have at least absorbed a bit more of the impact in this situation, even if that's not their purpose.
Click here for eternal salvation.

(06-04-2015, 01:25 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: Looking at the Smiler trains, it has one of them on the back, but not the front. The one on the back makes contact with a steel plate under the front of the platform. I bet having them stick out from both ends like Wicked would have at least absorbed a bit more of the impact in this situation, even if that's not their purpose.

The Front Bumpers on Wicked's Trains don't protrude any further than the Floors of the Trains. because their purpose, like all others, is to act as a bumper between trains in the station and/or storage tracks where they might bump to prevent damage to the fiberglass/floors, etc. in extremely low speed bumps.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
http://press.hse.gov.uk/2015/health-and-...on-towers/

Also its been reported one of the girls had to have her leg amputated below her knee.
It seems like Alton and Gerstlauer have had a lot of problems with this ride from day one. Hopefully it doesn't get closed down to early in its life.
Just your average teenager addicted to social media and roller coasters.
(06-10-2015, 01:44 PM)grossca3 Wrote: It seems like Alton and Gerstlauer have had a lot of problems with this ride from day one. Hopefully it doesn't get closed down to early in its life.

This accident is sounding like it was human error.
Smiler is the only Gerstlauer Coaster that has had this many problems. I mean, Junker, the newest Infinity Coaster went up super fast and has been open a week or 2.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Smiler has started testing again. Looks like the coaster still has life left in it. I was worried they would remove it. Hopefully, they have learned their lesson and have better protocols in place to prevent any further incidents on the coaster.