New Dark Ride?
(02-20-2016, 01:06 AM)1stRainbowRose Wrote: Personally, I hope if they do boot game time they keep the building mostly intact, primarily because I love the history of the building.

One thing a friend of mine suggested is simply make the casual games free to play. I mean, realistically that area is not making Lagoon money (and is quite possibly losing them money based on the amount of electricity being put in vs the amount being paid for with its use). This would give a "not quite wanting to do another ride, but don't want to leave yet" lull (or "there's five of us, and I don't want to sit in some random stranger's lap on Jet Star"). This will draw people in, and grab their attention. From there charge actual money for the games that produce tickets.

?
(02-19-2016, 11:33 PM)gregwibert Wrote: You're such a nerd!  Tongue

(I mean that in the most respectful way possible, of course.   Laugh )

Nerds make the world go round....anyway oceanerring built the ride vehicles for spiderman and tranformers
They built most of the buildings in front of the park including the Game Time building all in one off-season. But the demolition was a lot quicker (aka 1953 fire). Happy

As much as I would want the buildings to stay based on their history, there's no question those 50+ year old buildings have been neglected and would be better off demolished. Even from a historical standpoint, they no longer serve their original intended purpose, except for the games and Terroride (originally the Spook House). The original mid-century modern design has been ignored, covered up and polluted over the years. I didn't used to think much of mid-century modern and googie style architecture until later in life and I have grown to appreciate the dying breed. If the old buildings from the '50s were torn down, I'd love to see them replaced with the something very similar or at least inspired by them. It would need to be a serious, intentional plan that would guide design choices in that area well into the future. The simple design with clean lines and wide, sweeping angles gave the park an aesthetic foundation and a balance for the quirkier, carnival-type elements. It created a unified look for the park.

The buildings along the east side of the Midway are in bad shape too. The sagging overhanging roofs are probably the most noticeable problem. I believe the facades along that side were added to existing buildings in the late '70s or early '80s to make it look more like Main Street USA or something. Nice idea, but kind of an odd design choice in relation to the more modern buildings on the west side of the Midway. Just made the buildings on the west side look more out of place and diminished the effect, I think.

I'm getting way off topic now. See! We are ALL nerds in our own way. Maybe I'll have to write more about it elsewhere sometime...

There would still be opportunities for a new dark ride if that original style was retained. Something based on Bill Tracy's work with modern technology would be interesting. It could be pretty elaborate too. Like a mega-Bill Tracy-dark ride of the future!!
You kind of have to be a nerd to end up using a site like this. I'm in favor of the expanded Dracula's Castle idea. Never been a fan of Game Time. I always thought it could be better utilized as something else.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
(02-20-2016, 06:37 PM)Willenator Wrote: You kind of have to be a nerd to end up using a site like this. I'm in favor of the expanded Dracula's Castle idea. Never been a fan of Game Time. I always thought it could be better utilized as something else.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Agreed!
In the past i woulda argued more, but the arcade needs a lot of love lately. If they fixed it up or got better games be better, would still prefer it moved to a new location.