Utah State Fair
(09-03-2014, 05:29 PM)linearinduction Wrote:
(09-03-2014, 11:39 AM)Coasters Wrote: Its a joke meaning it has no parking and was put in a horrible location. I don't care about soccer. Nascar is the only sport I watch.
If you are talking about the Parking Situation and Location of Rio Tinto Stadium, I could not agree more with your statement! I believe they would have been better off building the Stadium elsewhere, including the Downtown and State Fair Park Proposals, not the Urban Stadium. Also, NASCAR is not a Sport. The only athletisism is displayed by the pit crew. Heck, even the Redneck Olympics are more of a sport. Hubcap Frisbee anyone? lol

Nascar is a sport. It takes skill and strain on the body.
(09-03-2014, 05:55 PM)Coasters Wrote:
(09-03-2014, 05:29 PM)linearinduction Wrote: If you are talking about the Parking Situation and Location of Rio Tinto Stadium, I could not agree more with your statement! I believe they would have been better off building the Stadium elsewhere, including the Downtown and State Fair Park Proposals, not the Urban Stadium. Also, NASCAR is not a Sport. The only athletisism is displayed by the pit crew. Heck, even the Redneck Olympics are more of a sport. Hubcap Frisbee anyone? lol

Definitely Not a Sport. Stunt maybe, but not a Sport. Chess also takes skill and strain, but it's not a sport. Twister is more of a sport than NASCAR. Wink
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Thumbs Up 
I interrupt this debate about Nascar to bring you this:

Quote:Real Salt Lake's plans for fielding a USL PRO team took another major step forward on Tuesday, according to a local report that the Utah State Fairpark's Board of Directors approved the club's proposal for construction of an 8,000-seat stadium to host the team at the downtown site.

The new venue would be funded by RSL, who reaffirmed plans to MLSsoccer.com on Tuesday to debut their USL PRO side next year and base it at their Rio Tinto Stadium home (which will be downsized for USL PRO matches) until the Fairpark facility is completed.

The home of the Utah State Fair, the site sits in a central location and has become a target for revitalization as sections of the complex show their age. The soccer stadium would be a key anchor of the Fairpark redevelopment plan.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/20...m-approved
(09-03-2014, 10:40 PM)Velcro Wrote: I interrupt this debate about Nascar to bring you this:

Quote:Real Salt Lake's plans for fielding a USL PRO team took another major step forward on Tuesday, according to a local report that the Utah State Fairpark's Board of Directors approved the club's proposal for construction of an 8,000-seat stadium to host the team at the downtown site.

The new venue would be funded by RSL, who reaffirmed plans to MLSsoccer.com on Tuesday to debut their USL PRO side next year and base it at their Rio Tinto Stadium home (which will be downsized for USL PRO matches) until the Fairpark facility is completed.

The home of the Utah State Fair, the site sits in a central location and has become a target for revitalization as sections of the complex show their age. The soccer stadium would be a key anchor of the Fairpark redevelopment plan.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/20...m-approved
So far, RSL's USL Pro Team and RSL's Soccer Academy has been EXTREMELY Successful and Productive.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
(09-03-2014, 05:55 PM)Coasters Wrote:
(09-03-2014, 05:29 PM)linearinduction Wrote: If you are talking about the Parking Situation and Location of Rio Tinto Stadium, I could not agree more with your statement! I believe they would have been better off building the Stadium elsewhere, including the Downtown and State Fair Park Proposals, not the Urban Stadium. Also, NASCAR is not a Sport. The only athletisism is displayed by the pit crew. Heck, even the Redneck Olympics are more of a sport. Hubcap Frisbee anyone? lol

The strain of sitting too long, or pressing the gas for hours?

I get there's no food for hours, (although it's not too hard to skip a meal) but the skill of driving a car really fast is something anyone can do if they break the law on a long stretch of road in the middle of nowhere. The skill is pretty much like any other driver, except there are no lanes so you have to make sure you are REALLY paying attention.
(09-04-2014, 01:38 AM)RCF Wrote:
(09-03-2014, 05:55 PM)Coasters Wrote: Nascar is a sport. It takes skill and strain on the body.
The strain of sitting too long, or pressing the gas for hours?
I get there's no food for hours, (although it's not too hard to skip a meal) but the skill of driving a car really fast is something anyone can do if they break the law on a long stretch of road in the middle of nowhere. The skill is pretty much like any other driver, except there are no lanes so you have to make sure you are REALLY paying attention.
There is much more than that to it.

I agree anybody can drive fast, there are lots of idiots in Utah who think they can and end up crashing. I can understand why you would say it isn't a sport. I mean, driving a car is something millions of people do every day right? So thinking competitive driving as a non-sport I can see how you would be confused and think it’s something that's easy, or mindless, or nonathletic.

If you think that the NASCAR stock cars are the same cars the everyday person drives, you are dead wrong. These cars are heavier, aerodynamically superior, and more expensive than a normal Toyota Camry or Chevrolet Impala, they go much faster—up to 100 miles per hour faster. They race around the track between 180 to 200 mph. I'd like to see you do that.

These cars are also manual transmission, which a majority of people out can't drive or refuse to learn how to. Being able to know how and when to shift takes practice and is a skill. Much as kicking a ball around a field is.

Wikipedia defines sport as "an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively." NASCAR has rules set up to even the playing field, each team has the same engine size, same specs, is only given a certain amount of fuel and tires. Plus many more rules governing what can and can’t be done. Under that simple definition, NASCAR racing must be a sport; it is governed by a set of rules drawn up by the sanctioning body and is competitive.

Sitting for a long time is difficult but think of the g forces that are being on exerted on each driver. On average its 3.2 g's each turn for 3 hours straight (g’s go up and down depending on the track they are on because each track is different, this is just an average). On a roller coaster you experience these g's for a few seconds and you are not in control of the vehicle you are riding in, these racers must fight back the g forces and still control the car all with no air conditioning takes endurance most people don't have. All the while being within inches of other cars and not causing a collision.

Also in sports there is offense and defense. They are not as cut and dry in NASCAR as in other sports, but there take a skill of knowing when to pass and lead and when to pour on the accelerator and when to draft behind another racer. Drafting for those who do not know is sitting right on the bumper of the car in front of you to help save fuel.

I could go on. But I feel this is sufficient for the time being.
I grew up with Ice Hockey, Literally, and attended over 1,000 Games from 7 Days after my Birth until the Final Salt Lake Golden Eagles game in March 1994. There is No Sport with a more Prestigious Prize in Organized Sport in the World than the Stanley Cup. There is also No Rivalry in the World that Compares to the Bruins and Flyers. Am I Prejudiced? Absolutely. Rugby and Ice Hockey are the Most Violent and Physically Brutal Sports in the World, Followed by Boxing and Football. Sports to me are about the Atletisism displayed by it's participants. I even consider Golf a Sport. While it does take skill and endurance to race cars, I put it on the Same Level as Chess and Golf, as it's more about the Mental aspects than Physical. While NASCAR may be Considered a Sport, it's Drivers are not Athletes. I guess I'm more of a Fan of Athletics than Sports, thus why the Olympics will never have NASCAR.
(09-04-2014, 02:38 PM)linearinduction Wrote: ... the Olympics will never have NASCAR.

Unless the world embraces red necks!

Ahhhh
(09-04-2014, 03:36 PM)Velcro Wrote:
(09-04-2014, 02:38 PM)linearinduction Wrote: ... the Olympics will never have NASCAR.

Unless the world embraces red necks!

Ahhhh

No I agree the Olympics will never have NASCAR but I'm ok with that. I only wish Salt Lake had a Pro NASCAR track because I would go every year!
My father and mother love Nascar. I would never see them if Salt Lake had a track.