The Living Planet Aquarium
It seem like many things are heading down there for some reason. I don't get why.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk
(11-20-2013, 05:38 PM)Coasters Wrote: I wish that they had put it behind the Gateway as was the original idea. South Valley sucks
Actually, the Original Plans for the Living Planet Aquarium was to place it just west of the Rio Grande Depot between 3rd South, 4th South, 600 West, and 500 West. They even acquired some of the warehouses and painted them, which can still be seen today off of 400 South. They opened the "Preview" Living Planet Aquarium in the Gateway to raise more money to build on the above described block. When Boyer made it clear they would not renew the lease, the Aquarium purchased the abandoned Smiths/Macs on 106th South and 7th East to operate until they could build their own facility.

(11-20-2013, 08:32 PM)RCF Wrote: It seem like many things are heading down there for some reason. I don't get why.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk
The Southern Part of Salt Lake County is Exploding in Population and Draper City has been VERY aggressive in creating an "Entertainment and Shopping District" on 123rd South and I-15. This is why Cowabunga Bay, Incredible Pizza Company, Cinemark, In-N-Out Burger, Kohl's, Lone Peak Hospital, and the New Living Planet Aquarium have built there. In fact, the Decision to move the Aquarium into a Permanent Home in Draper was made in 2009. Easy Freeway Access was also another Factor that sealed the Deal. It is unfortunate that the powers that be have overlooked the Aquarium Restaurant Concept which is a Significant Revenue Generator for many Aquariums. In fact, some of Lawry's Aquarium Restaurants are responsible for nearly 50% of the income.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(11-20-2013, 11:20 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Actually, the Original Plans for the Living Planet Aquarium was to place it just west of the Rio Grande Depot between 3rd South, 4th South, 600 West, and 500 West. They even acquired some of the warehouses and painted them, which can still be seen today off of 400 South. They opened the "Preview" Living Planet Aquarium in the Gateway to raise more money to build on the above described block. When Boyer made it clear they would not renew the lease, the Aquarium purchased the abandoned Smiths/Macs on 106th South and 7th East to operate until they could build their own facility.

That's what I meant, yeah its not exactly behind Gateway, but yes in that general area. I wish it had been put there.
(11-20-2013, 11:38 PM)Coasters Wrote: That's what I meant, yeah its not exactly behind Gateway, but yes in that general area. I wish it had been put there.

That entire downtown area does need something to not make it look run down. I have never understood why so many of downtown's plans for new venues are always centered around Main St.
(11-21-2013, 12:32 AM)RCF Wrote:
(11-20-2013, 11:38 PM)Coasters Wrote: That's what I meant, yeah its not exactly behind Gateway, but yes in that general area. I wish it had been put there.

That entire downtown area does need something to not make it look run down. I have never understood why so many of downtown's plans for new venues are always centered around Main St.
Perhaps it has to do with Brigham Young choosing the Building Site for the Salt Lake Temple on July 28th, 1847 and Designing the City around that? lol Every City has a Central Business District, Residential District, Industrial District, etc., and Salt Lake is no Different. Calling any part of Salt Lake City "run down" is like calling the outskirts of Detroit "Bliss!" Confused

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/detroit-on-the-edge/
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Salt lake has some bad areas. But I've been to places in Chicago that make Salt Lake's worse look wonderful.
(11-20-2013, 11:38 PM)Coasters Wrote:
(11-20-2013, 11:20 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Actually, the Original Plans for the Living Planet Aquarium was to place it just west of the Rio Grande Depot between 3rd South, 4th South, 600 West, and 500 West. They even acquired some of the warehouses and painted them, which can still be seen today off of 400 South. They opened the "Preview" Living Planet Aquarium in the Gateway to raise more money to build on the above described block. When Boyer made it clear they would not renew the lease, the Aquarium purchased the abandoned Smiths/Macs on 106th South and 7th East to operate until they could build their own facility.

That's what I meant, yeah its not exactly behind Gateway, but yes in that general area. I wish it had been put there.
It definitely would have been a great location, right next to the Future Salt Lake Intermodal Hub and off 400 South. Unfortunately, both things spelt the end to the abandoned Utah Ice and Storage Co. Building on the Corner of 300 South and 600 West. I still think it would have made some amazing apartments.
Received this in my inbox:

[Image: TheLivingPlanetAquarium.JPG]

I still don't know when the aquarium will open??
[quote='gregwibert' pid='57269' dateline='1385656013'

I still don't know when the aquarium will open??
[/quote]Last I heard, they were aiming for Christmas break. I'll try to snap some pics today if I can. Smile
Thanks Sid Smile

Sounds like our January trip will work out.

Please stand by for updates as they come in............