Hogle Zoo Discussion Thread
(03-11-2013, 07:22 AM)Slick Wrote: Maybe they need to invest in more parking options

Agreed!
(03-11-2013, 07:32 AM)gregwibert Wrote:
(03-11-2013, 07:22 AM)Slick Wrote: Maybe they need to invest in more parking options

Agreed!
I guess both of you missed the "Parking Structure at North Lot 750+ Parking Spaces." on the Master Plan. Wink It's also possible to park at This is the Place (AKA - Don't Make me Turn this Hand Cart Around!) State Park and walk across the Street to the Zoo. I would rather Hogle Concentrate on the Animals and New Exhibits than a Multi-Million Dollar Parking Structure. Wink
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(03-12-2013, 03:18 AM)linearinduction Wrote:
(03-11-2013, 07:32 AM)gregwibert Wrote: Agreed!
I guess both of you missed the "Parking Structure at North Lot 750+ Parking Spaces." on the Master Plan. Wink It's also possible to park at This is the Place (AKA - Don't Make me Turn this Hand Cart Around!) State Park and walk across the Street to the Zoo. I would rather Hogle Concentrate on the Animals and New Exhibits than a Multi-Million Dollar Parking Structure. Wink

yep, missed it. Thanks. The "Don't Make me Turn this Hand Cart Around" reference is HILARIOUS! I can totally see them saying that to their kids...lol...

We are animal enthusiasts as well...Hogle has been doing an awesome job with the habitat upgrades. I know that the money we spend on passes and at the gift shop (as well as donations) help the animals.
(03-12-2013, 07:36 AM)gregwibert Wrote:
(03-12-2013, 03:18 AM)linearinduction Wrote: I guess both of you missed the "Parking Structure at North Lot 750+ Parking Spaces." on the Master Plan. Wink It's also possible to park at This is the Place (AKA - Don't Make me Turn this Hand Cart Around!) State Park and walk across the Street to the Zoo. I would rather Hogle Concentrate on the Animals and New Exhibits than a Multi-Million Dollar Parking Structure. Wink

yep, missed it. Thanks. The "Don't Make me Turn this Hand Cart Around" reference is HILARIOUS! I can totally see them saying that to their kids...lol...

We are animal enthusiasts as well...Hogle has been doing an awesome job with the habitat upgrades. I know that the money we spend on passes and at the gift shop (as well as donations) help the animals.
One of the Best things is that when Hogle is ready to start a project, they review and revise the Exhibits and Designs from what was included in the 2000 Master Plan. You'll notice some differences between what is on the Master Plan and the Actual Layout and Animals Contained in the New Exhibits.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
My wife and I finally went to Hogle Zoo this past month. I haven't been to the zoo in over 20 years, so I really wanted to see all the changes. Holy cow, I didn't even recognize the zoo anymore so much has changed over the last couple of decades. My wife laughed at me because I was like a kid again as we ran around looking at everything. I was so excited to see all the stuff that we ended up getting a year pass for the two of us. Much more affordable than I had imagined. Already gone twice in the last month and look forward to many more. I took around 200 photos the last time I was there. If anyone is interested, I can drop a link to them once I finish going through them and uploading the photos I want to keep.
(08-31-2017, 12:36 AM)Willenator Wrote: My wife and I finally went to Hogle Zoo this past month. I haven't been to the zoo in over 20 years, so I really wanted to see all the changes. Holy cow, I didn't even recognize the zoo anymore so much has changed over the last couple of decades. My wife laughed at me because I was like a kid again as we ran around looking at everything. I was so excited to see all the stuff that we ended up getting a year pass for the two of us. Much more affordable than I had imagined. Already gone twice in the last month and look forward to many more. I took around 200 photos the last time I was there. If anyone is interested, I can drop a link to them once I finish going through them and uploading the photos I want to keep.

I think I'm a little scared to go. I suspect everything I had fond memories of is gone. I bet they don't even have ice cream sandwich machines or coin operated animal blow molds anymore. Frown
Click here for eternal salvation.

(08-31-2017, 12:40 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: I think I'm a little scared to go. I suspect everything I had fond memories of is gone. I bet they don't even have ice cream sandwich machines or coin operated animal blow molds anymore. Frown

Man, the smell of semi-molten wax cooling into the shape of an elephant... that right there?  That's the stuff of childhood legend.  LOVED--absolutely freaking adored--those things.  On the list of "favorite childhood park things", that one's right up there with the fruit-shaped drinks that Lagoon used to have on the carts over along the south side of Kiddieland.  Always had to have the grape one.
I love all the changes at Hogle Zoo. Its a great place to visit. Every time I go through that hill side behind the African safari just is screaming for a MACK Multilaunch coaster to be built there. Something like Manta at Sea World San Diego would be sweet at Hogle Zoo!
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(08-31-2017, 12:40 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: I bet they don't even have ice cream sandwich machines or coin operated animal blow molds anymore. Frown

I did not see either of those things while I was there. The only remaining stuff that looked familiar to me was the reptile/small animal building, the gorilla building, and the train.
(08-31-2017, 10:20 AM)Willenator Wrote: I did not see either of those things while I was there. The only remaining stuff that looked familiar to me was the reptile/small animal building, the gorilla building, and the train.

Even the train's route has been slightly altered over the years to accommodate animal enclosure changes, etc.  Playgrounds, food and other buildings have also come and gone over the years. Hogle isn't afraid of change, that's for sure. It's great how things are now.  Rolleyes

I do miss the butterfly / bird glass building. It was fun to walk in and be surrounded by butterflies / birds (they never had both at the same time). The birds would land on/eat millet off a stick you could purchase and hold. That's about as up-close and personal as it gets at a zoo. lol