Hogle Zoo Discussion Thread
Rocky Shores, Hogle Zoo's New 18 Million Dollar Mult-Animal Habitat featuring Bears, Sea Lions, Seals, Otters, and Bald Eagles, is Scheduled to to debut on June 1st, 2012. Check back here for the latest information on Rocky Shores.

Rocky Shores - Opening Spring 2012

Rocky Shores Construction
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Quote:Good news bears: Hogle Zoo getting a polar bear, 3 grizzlies

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune
First published Jan 30 2012 05:10PM
Updated Jan 30, 2012 11:35PM

The under-construction Rocky Shores exhibit at Hogle Zoo is going polar.

Zoo officials announced Monday that “Rizzo,” a 14-year-old female polar bear, will join the three grizzly bears already ticketed for the zoo’s new display, which is scheduled to open June 1.

To Read the Rest of the Article, please click on the link below:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/534066...r.html.csp
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
the zoo look like fun i always love the zoo when i was young
6th Annual Zoo Lights Opens Tonight!

Salt Lake City, Utah -
The 6th Annual Zoo Lights event at Utah's Hogle Zoo will kick off at 5:30pm tonight with over 300 Lighted Displays, Deep Fried S'mores, the New 135 Foot Tunnel of Light, Heated Rocky Shores Viewing Area, and all of your Favorite Animals. Utah's Wildest Christmas Celebration will feature different Special Activities and Entertainment each night with Carolers, Kid's Crafts, Ice Carving, and Small Animal Encounters.

Zoo Lights will also celebrate New Years Eve with an Early Family Friendly Countdown at 9pm on December 31st.

Where:
Utah's Hogle Zoo, 2600 East Sunnyside Avenue, Salt Lake City, Utah
When:
December 1st - December 31st, except Christmas Day
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30 to 8 pm (grounds close at 9)
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30 to 9 pm (grounds close at 10)
Christmas Day: Closed
How Much:
Adults - $7.00
Children (3-12) - $5.00
Seniors (65+) - $5.00
Toddlers (2 & under) - FREE

Check out HogleZoo.org for complete information
Double posted? Tongue
(12-01-2012, 08:40 AM)Velcro Wrote: Double posted? Tongue
Yup, for your viewing pleasure. Wink
I was just at the zoo Wednesday and they are moving forward with the African area. They have taken out all the exhibits in and mostly around the train's course, including the playground but not the bison. The viewing platforms have relatively took their complete shapes. Half of the current Giraffe exhibit has already been replaced with one of the few buildings taking up the exhibit. I don't quite know what the building will be for, or the one almost finished by the south gates. They are absolutely not wasting time to make the place an amazing small zoo. I do believe it wouldn't be worth it to go to the zoo until next year with how much construction is going on. I will be heading back sometime next month for photos.
(03-10-2013, 12:16 AM)RCF Wrote: I was just at the zoo Wednesday and they are moving forward with the African area. They have taken out all the exhibits in and mostly around the train's course, including the playground but not the bison. The viewing platforms have relatively took their complete shapes. Half of the current Giraffe exhibit has already been replaced with one of the few buildings taking up the exhibit. I don't quite know what the building will be for, or the one almost finished by the south gates. They are absolutely not wasting time to make the place an amazing small zoo. I do believe it wouldn't be worth it to go to the zoo until next year with how much construction is going on. I will be heading back sometime next month for photos.
The Current Giraffe House is being replaced by the new Service Shops and Operations Complex. Once the African Savannah I & II habitats are completed and Giraffes are moved, the old giraffe exhibit will be torn down and the rest of the Service Shops and Operations Complex will be constructed. Once construction of the New Service Shops and Operations Complex is complete, the Zoo can start on the African Savannah III, Rainforest Complex, Gorilla Forrest Expansion, Penguin Habitat, or what ever will replace the Reptile Building.

Hogle Zoo Master Plan

African Savannah I & II Overview

African Savannah I & II Webpage

African Savannah I & II Site Plan
We do try to go to the zoo several times a year (we are family pass holders.) However, there are times we "do something else" because the parking in both lots is jam packed. The zoo is definitely a very popular family activity. I'm glad they are investing more money into it! Smile
Maybe they need to invest in more parking options