July Potluck Possible Date Change
(06-11-2011, 04:12 PM)Aria_Netorin Wrote: I know that my household really do not wish to have the date changed. We have had these dates since about the end of May and have planned accordingly to make sure that we are able to attend them. Plus this would be our only opportunity to bring our returned Marine to a potluck, to meet with a lot of his old friends, before him, as well as his family, move once again to their new home.

I know that this may be a great adventure for the family that is going on the trip, but I do find it frustrating that we talk and talk about setting up dates to have the potluck, and thus far have always had to change at least one time or another. I have always been strict with schedules, be it personal or social. I know that things come up but I feel that if there is no way to work around a social event it should not be changed because I cant make it, since there are so many others that go.

I know that Sid and his family do a lot at the potlucks, and it will be different having them there, but I feel that it may open things up for something different. Say we have a small bake off or something in place of the funnel cakes. I know that in the past families have brought another desert and sometimes they just get passed over. I am not saying to replace it but maybe change it up a little.

What ever happens I will try to make the potluck if it is moved, I just feel that there is a lot of hype about getting dates set, we should try to stick to them.

(06-11-2011, 07:11 PM)Shadow_Dragon Wrote: I understand that it may not be as much fun without Sid and his family there, but why is it we keep changing things for just this one family. I know that one time last year we changed the date to accommodate Sid and his family and it seems like we are going to again this year?

Does this mean that if my family and I cant make it to the October potluck we can change the date on that one so we can?

I feel that the planning that goes on with Velcro and all the people who help him set it up should be kept true to. They set these dates and I feel that the only reason we should change the date is for something more than just one family not making it. I know from watching at the potlucks that there are several families that come to one potluck and not the next but we dont change anything for them.

I know that this will make it so that things Sid and his family bring will not be there, but at the same time I think that sometimes change could be a good thing. I like the funnel cakes as much as the next person, but I would love to see it changed up to because it does get a little dull having the same thing every time.
I was unaware there was so much animosity towards my Family and Myself. We have changed potluck dates for many people for many reasons in the past and it has not been a big deal. My Family was also in Charge of the Navajo Tacos for the July Potluck, thus the reason why we asked to change the date. My Family has spent well over $200 on this year's Potlucks so far and that includes the $75 we have spent out of pocket for Plates, Napkins, etc. that has not come out of the Donation Jar.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
I need the date changed in August so I can attend. Tongue I can see the reason for the change, and have no problem with it. But; we do open ourselves up for a domino effect down the line if we start playing favorites and what not. Thats just my two cents, honestly I do not care either way as I am lucky to attend these as is.
My Coaster Count: 99
Sky's Coaster Count: 14
Follow Beyond Vertical on Twitter!
I do not have a problem with you and your family Sid, I was just expressing how I feel after observations while I have been to the potlucks. I know that the costs of the potluck add up quickly, and I do appreciate everything you and your family do, I was just expressing my feelings and ideas. Sorry it will not happen again.
Talking about old discussion day Wink . This has happened in the past where the "stick to the schedule" almost took out the potlucks. I think that we plan these events and we should be fluid with them. I think we can all agree that some turn out better than others.

The potlucks are not about the food. They are about the experience. Already this year the June potluck was changed and there was not a huge uproar. The potluck was supposed to be this Monday (or next) but I said that I might not make that date.

I think that we should not make a habit out of "sticking to the schedule" for convenience sake. Things come up and we need to understand that. We should be friends and make plans to accommodate as many people as possible that includes schedule changes.

As I write this my wife is telling me that someone in the family is now planning their wedding for July 11th. I will miss the wedding and attend the potluck the kids might not make it. I care about all of you that much Shades . I for one like to make the schedule early and at the same time I understand that it might change and would never be upset if someone wanted to change a date.

In conclusion I guess that I wish we could just discuss this civilly as friends and not hide behind the schedule thing. It creates animosity between people that can be avoided by communication. I would hate it if anyone misses the potluck. If this is about one person not being to a potluck then we can plan to have 2 scaled back potlucks. We can just not have a menu and have a true potluck those days. Maybe two days devoted to nothing but rides. Push Navajo tacos out to August and Pizza in September, doing away with the nacho potluck.

Is there another day that could accommodate both families? Any day of the week works for me.

How does that sound?
What are we doing for dinner?
(06-12-2011, 10:19 AM)LIF Chef Wrote: Talking about old discussion day Wink . This has happened in the past where the "stick to the schedule" almost took out the potlucks. I think that we plan these events and we should be fluid with them. I think we can all agree that some turn out better than others.

The potlucks are not about the food. They are about the experience. Already this year the June potluck was changed and there was not a huge uproar. The potluck was supposed to be this Monday (or next) but I said that I might not make that date.

I think that we should not make a habit out of "sticking to the schedule" for convenience sake. Things come up and we need to understand that. We should be friends and make plans to accommodate as many people as possible that includes schedule changes.

As I write this my wife is telling me that someone in the family is now planning their wedding for July 11th. I will miss the wedding and attend the potluck the kids might not make it. I care about all of you that much Shades . I for one like to make the schedule early and at the same time I understand that it might change and would never be upset if someone wanted to change a date.

In conclusion I guess that I wish we could just discuss this civilly as friends and not hide behind the schedule thing. It creates animosity between people that can be avoided by communication. I would hate it if anyone misses the potluck. If this is about one person not being to a potluck then we can plan to have 2 scaled back potlucks. We can just not have a menu and have a true potluck those days. Maybe two days devoted to nothing but rides. Push Navajo tacos out to August and Pizza in September, doing away with the nacho potluck.

Is there another day that could accommodate both families? Any day of the week works for me.

How does that sound?

Awwwww....... We care about you too, man! Shades
(06-12-2011, 08:46 AM)Shadow_Dragon Wrote: I do not have a problem with you and your family Sid, I was just expressing how I feel after observations while I have been to the potlucks. I know that the costs of the potluck add up quickly, and I do appreciate everything you and your family do, I was just expressing my feelings and ideas. Sorry it will not happen again.

On this web site we WANT your opinions and feelings, it is what makes this site great. Wink

Personally I am not ever able to make the potlucks because I am usually working, and other things in my life take priority, so it really doesn't matter to me if it gets moved or not. That said I work with an organization that has something happen on the first weekend of the month, and at a certain time, this stays rigid because if we change it for one person, we have to change it for everyone that asks, and that can be a nightmare. But at the same time this web site is about lagoon, and the unity of those that love lagoon. Maybe a poll should be created, and the ones that attend the majority of the potlucks should be the ones that vote, majority wins, but that is up to you guys since I won't be to either potluck.
A man would rather have a good scare over good advice.

I do agree that what ever happens will happen, nor do I have a problem with anyone who attends the potlucks. I did not mean to seem over ridged with the schedule its just that I was frustrated. We have arranged and rearranged things to try and get a person to the one potluck that would work with what he has going on. It just frustrates me that we work something out around the schedule posted then have to just toss it out the window. I will keep in mind in the future that the schedule is a general guideline and plan things closer to the events. I am sorry if I have upset anyone I was just letting you know my thoughts on the matter as asked.

What ever is desired I will see what we can do.
(06-11-2011, 04:12 PM)Aria_Netorin Wrote: Plus this would be our only opportunity to bring our returned Marine to a potluck, to meet with a lot of his old friends, before him, as well as his family, move once again to their new home.

Who is the Marine you mentioned? I never worked at Lagoon thru my teen years but the other guys here probably know him. Just curious what his name is and how he associates with Lagoonisfun.com/Lagoon?

Like I said we can make arrangements for two potlucks. It is less about the food and more about the experience. Lets do two, nothing in the guidlines that says no more than one a month.
What are we doing for dinner?
I like the idea of doing a couple smaller ones with no official menu for July. Just a bunch of us hanging out and having a good time. How about July 11th & July 18th? Or is that too close together?