If I Owned Lagoon Thread
(05-30-2011, 08:46 AM)RCInsider Wrote: There are many parks who play the Star Spangled Banner before opening, it is not unusual, nor is it like stealing something. I guess if that location for the caroussel is so historically relevant it could stay, I just think it would look nice where I had it. Plus therew have been many caroussels that are much more famously historical which have been completely moved to other parks.
I was saying that many parks do the Star Spangled Banner before Opening and I Like it. Wink Also, Instead of relocating Lagoon's Carousel, why not buy a New Antique Carousel for the "Hub." There are several Antique Wood Carousels from Denzel, Allen Hershell, Spillman, Hershell-Spillman, Mangels, PTC, and the LAST Remaining Illions Supreme Carousel built in 1927 that need a loving home. Smile

(05-30-2011, 08:46 AM)RCInsider Wrote: As for the Flying Aces, what do you mean what happened the first time? Plus, you must remember this is about 10-20 years in the future, I don't think that ride can survive thaat long, let alone be safe for that long.
Lagoon removed Flying Aces Once before and Brought Them back in 1986 for the Big North End Expansion. That ride is extremely safe and will remain so, as it's not impossible or improbable for Lagoon to Fabricate Parts for it as it is. Wink Remember, Lagoon had the Last Operating Traver Circle Swing in North America. The Very Last Remaining Traver Circle Swing is still in Operation at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Wink

(05-30-2011, 08:46 AM)RCInsider Wrote: Lagoon no longer would need to rely on profits from the terraces. Everything I have added would make Lagoon a national park and bring in many more visitors. Plus imagine the costs from a separate Lagoon-A-Beach and new hotel.
No matter what you try to do, Lagoon is ALWAYS going to be a Family Park (Company Picnics) and Group Sales is a BIG Money Maker for ALL Parks. A Company Picnic at Lagoon is like Fry Sauce, Green Jello with Carrots, etc. here in Utah.

(05-30-2011, 08:46 AM)RCInsider Wrote: If the miniature Train Museum was so important, I guess the IMAX Simulator could move, but didn't that sound like a good idea? It could attract visitors who didn't have the time to explore everything in Utah to fly through all of the magnificent sites, sort of like Soarin'.
The Union Pacific/Oregon Shortline Train Station at the End of Main Street is over 100 Years Old and was originally located in Kaysville, that is why it is Important. Wink

(05-30-2011, 08:46 AM)RCInsider Wrote: Next, scratch my idea with Wild Mouse. Keep Spider indoors, but with the exterior of that building all themed to a castle. Then completely get rid of Wild Mouse, keep Centennial Screamer, and put the nice family restaraunt where Wild Mouse was.
Why would you get rid of Wild Mouse? It's a Great Nostalgic Coaster!

(05-30-2011, 08:46 AM)RCInsider Wrote: And lastly, do you know what an Imelmann is or have you even ridden a coaster with one? That near vertical curve on Wicked! is not even close. The definition is as follows: "An Immelmann loop (colloquially, "Immelmann") is a popular inversion found on many roller coasters. In an Immelmann, riders enter a half loop and then go through a half twist and curve out in the opposite direction in which they came." Ionly ish Wicked! had such thing, but it does not.
Coaster Enthusiasts DO NOT Dictate what an Element is Named, that is left up to the Designer/Supplier and/or Park. Your Definition is for an "Immelmann Inversion" not an "Immelmann Turn" like on Wicked and Spider, as Dictated by Zierer and Maurer Söhne. Wink

(05-30-2011, 08:46 AM)RCInsider Wrote: EDIT: Oh, and as for the brake system, in 10-20 years, that might be some time to give it a new brake system for safety as well as smoothness. The current brake system has you coming in at a sudden halt that surges riders forward, contrary to current wooden coasters.
I believe your problem is with the PTC Braking System that 90% + Wood Coasters and some Steel Coasters Utilize. Tongue Ravine Flyer II is the Newest Wood Coaster I've been on and the Brake Run "Experience" was the same as on Roller Coaster, Blue Streak, Mean Streak, Timber Terror, Tremors, Timberhawk, The Racer, The Beast, and Woodstock Express. I actually think Maverick's Magnetic Brake System is WORSE than any Mechanical Brakes! lol

PS - I don't mean to to "Pick Apart" your posts, it's just easy for me when addressing several vastly different things. I also like your "Big Sky" Idea, but I hope this 4D Fad would be over, cause I'd still take Raptor and Maverick over X. Wink
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
My plan and vision for Lagoon.

The front entrance has been a reoccurring item to be fixed and I will jump on that band wagon too, but what I would do it completely tear from Roller Coaster to Game Time all those buildings and private parking area. Game time would be staying as well as Dracula's castle but D castle would be moved to another location yet to be determined, but both would be refurbished as in Dracula's castle would receive a new ride system making the ride more like Spiderman at IOA. Game time would be brought back to its former glory as a band stage, invite local bands to come in and play and even some big names too if we could get them, but mainly stick to local bands who need a venue to help get their music out to the masses.

The new main gate would now be a building bowing out ward toward the parking lot in a half oval shape giving more gates for entry and therefore lessening the congestion at the gate. In front of game time and that part of DTR would be the Season pass building. Then to the right side of the new entrance would be the ticketing office along with the Guest Services office. Once inside the new gate there would be another guest services office window as to be able to access the office from inside the park too. Also would function as Lost and found and stroller rental.

In the middle of the midway where the planters are now would be an interactive fountain of sorts that only would be as wide as the existing planters and only spray in the middle as to not get guests wet that don't want to be wet and the flowing water would help keep that area cooled off in the hot summer months.

Along this new walk way you would also be able to access the Safety and Security office which would be completely brand new with more clinic area than they now have. Next to them would be locker rental location as it would operate as the current one does now.

Terroride would be completely gone. In its place would be a more area for the locker rental with lockers or a game would depend on how much space would be left over after the locker rental location.
Next to that and taking up the space of the former skee-ball location and central park store would be a nice 1920’s themed sit-down restaurant that would have a curving front window to give you views of the Carousel and have big sky lights on the roof to give nice views of the Roller Coaster.

Roller Coaster would receive and complete renovation, re-building the lift hill and station as the first section to receive work done and move west every year for the next few years after to finish it and it would be painted white. Also the Station would be incorporated into the theme of the restaurant combining its 50’s theming with a 20’s theme too while removing that ugly lemonade stand. Also a permanent crane that would be collapsible (to keep it out of sight when not in use) would be placed next to the holding track of Roller Coaster to help take the trains off when needed. Also the ACE Plaque would be placed on the midway as to allow people to actually read and enjoy it!

Spider would be removed and sold, I would buy a custom one let it use that space spider isn’t using next to the theater, and give its original name back as the Spider and the Fly! The cars would be painted half spider and half fly so go with the theming of the spider chasing the fly.

Wicked would be moved to the North end of the park behind Samurai, but Samurai would be moved slightly as to allow the midway to pass by and the human toilet oh I mean Hydro would be removed and scrapped if it could be sold.

Fire Dragon would be taken apart and cleaned up and any part of it that needs to refabricated would be have it done. It would also receive a new paint job and have the station re worked to allow entry from the other side like Laser.

Musik and Screamer would stay, just painting and general maintenance would be done on them.

Sky Ride would be updated to a model in which the cars disconnect like high speed quads do.

Wild Mouse would stay and put the original voice for the automated announcements back on it.

The Zoo would be removed and the animals all sold off, I know they are not mistreated there they eat better than the employees do but I just wouldn’t want to mess with a zoo, so it would be removed. The Beach would be moved out into the North Corner of the North overflow parking and would be copied exactly but would be given space around it to expand, kind of like WDW having the Magic Kingdom be Disneyland.

Kiddy Land would be given some space to expand and the train would go across the midway leading to PV and head to the north end of the park, putting a station where Hydro was roughly. Then it would travel back around the back end of the park across RSR and back into the old train station at the back of PV, (the train museum would be moved/ expanded in that same general area so the station could be used for the train and the museum too) Then the train would connect to where it would have going through the zoo and go back to its current station.

PV would not be a dead museum but a living breathing Pioneer Town. Would have actors and re enactists doing blacksmithing, leather work, operating a saloon with root beer and other era treats. The shootout would be back in place. The place where the former animal cages were that are behind PV would be grass and picnic tables so a nice place for families to have lunch. PV would even be themed on the back side of those buildings too to allow eating from the saloon and such.
Bombora would be moved to where the current entrance to PV is and have a new entrance go around it.

Jet Star would be replaced sadly but I would put in the El Loco Coaster from S&S like RC Insider would.

The Maintenance building and complex would be moved from its current location to have two locations. One back behind RSR and the old area of the zoo, the train would have a side track leading into that building and it would serve the rides closest to that, having a building there would also help deaden the sound of the park to the houses. The other building would be back where the Boneyard is. The current location and the white barn would be removed and made into parking for the New LAB location and the park.

The Rides office, games office, foods office, and other dept would be moved into and building closer to the new Lagoon Annex building and with a parking lot for employees and special spots for management. A walkway would be built to go from there which there would be time clocks for each dept on the bottom level with a secretary for each to check people in. They would then enter the park through a back gate.

The Parking lot would be ripped up in sections for the first few years and repaved with a new foundation for it and everything including proper drainage, and maximized parking spots. The first section would be near the new front entrance. After each new section of asphalt was laid in the fall, the next spring it would be seal coated and re striped.

I would also buy Lagoon 2 new sweeper trucks and keep the old one for back up. But they would be Victory Sweepers INC Mark II trucks with gutter brushes on both sides and they would have their own garages and wash out stations back by the new maintenance building.

I’m sure there is things I missed that I would do to but this works for now.
@linearinduction- I like your idea about getting the new antique caroussel. And I won't argue anything else. Smile
(05-31-2011, 07:30 AM)RCInsider Wrote: @linearinduction- I like your idea about getting the new antique caroussel. And I won't argue anything else. Smile
This is Not an Argument Damn It! Laugh I just wanted some Clarification is all. I really like hearing all of these Ideas from Everyone, but I certainly disagree with the Idea of removing some of my Favorite Rides. Wink

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
(05-31-2011, 07:47 AM)linearinduction Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 07:30 AM)RCInsider Wrote: @linearinduction- I like your idea about getting the new antique caroussel. And I won't argue anything else. Smile
This is Not an Argument Damn It! Laugh I just wanted some Clarification is all. I really like hearing all of these Ideas from Everyone, but I certainly disagree with the Idea of removing some of my Favorite Rides. Wink

Sid is a sentimental, soft hearted, sensitive guy...cut him some slack...geese! Unsure
I also do not agree with removing the old classics, but at some point they either need to be completeley replaced or refurbished. They have attempted that with Music over the last few years and Screamer has also gotten a face lift. At some point though it becomes nessassary to replace them due to the intensive maitinence required to keep them safe and operational. Nobody ever said there wasnt room for 2 carousels at Lagoon did they? The othe rthing I think adds to the feel of a ride is the themeing. I think, especially with the newer rides, that Lagoon has done a much better job with this. I think some of these old classics need to be moved and/or given a facelift in that way. I noticed that at Cedar Point this year they are moving thier Tidal Wave and updadating the theming on that ride and I think that is what needs to happen at Lagoon. They also made a good start on the lighting of Sky Scraper, which is another major overhaul I think needs to be made. I just love (and this may sound out of wack) that traveling carnivals are so lit up. You walk in to them and all the rides are colorfully lit up and it almost takes you to another place. Lagoon's rides have that same potential, such as the Fire Dragon, Screamer, and Music Express. (If you need an example of what I'm mean, just watch near the end of Zombieland the movie and just look at how awesome the park looks when they turn on the power, and when they show the skyline.) jmo
(05-31-2011, 05:33 PM)Dr_j017 Wrote: I noticed that at Cedar Point this year they are moving thier Tidal Wave and updadating the theming on that ride and I think that is what needs to happen at Lagoon.
When Lagoon gets enough money for something like that while adding another ride every season. Sadly, that doesn't look like something Lagoon is capable of doing yet until they get more income, which won't happen for another ten or twenty years, at the most.
(05-31-2011, 10:05 AM)gregwibert Wrote: Sid is a sentimental, soft hearted, sensitive guy...cut him some slack...geese! Unsure
HA! Laugh

(05-31-2011, 05:33 PM)Dr_j017 Wrote: I noticed that at Cedar Point this year they are moving thier Tidal Wave and updadating the theming on that ride and I think that is what needs to happen at Lagoon.
I didn't bring up Cedar Point First for Once! lol Also, Cedar Point has a HUSS Pirate (Inside Joke)? At LEAST 50% of Cedar Point Guests are going to believe that Ocean Motion is a Brand New Ride, since most people didn't know it even existed over in the Corner by the Coral Gardens and Beach Gate. Windseeker is really going to breath new life over in that Corner. Now, a New Woodie replacing the Stadium would be nice. Wink

(06-01-2011, 05:19 AM)linearinduction Wrote:
I didn't bring up Cedar Point First for Once! lol Also, Cedar Point has a HUSS Pirate (Inside Joke)? At LEAST 50% of Cedar Point Guests are going to believe that Ocean Motion is a Brand New Ride, since most people didn't know it even existed over in the Corner by the Coral Gardens and Beach Gate. Windseeker is really going to breath new life over in that Corner. Now, a New Woodie replacing the Stadium would be nice. Wink

Cedar Point's awesomeness cannot be denied! Shades

(06-01-2011, 07:14 AM)gregwibert Wrote: Cedar Point's awesomeness cannot be denied! Shades
Agreed, especially with the cool new themeing they added to it! I would say Ocean Motion is there to stay, instead of being removed for good. Smile