If I Owned Lagoon Thread
There are so many threads talking about what LAgoon should or shouldn't do, so now is your chance to make the decisions. Here you have unlimited possabilities, but remember the more realistic the better. So, what would you do? (I'll post mine a little later)
Honestly if it were me, I would completely tear down the buildings at the front entrance, including the old fun house, terroride, safety and security, guess services, and fascination. I am not sure how I would redo the front, but I think the area needs a complete remodel. Especially if you look at those buildings from the top of the lift of Roller Coaster, it looks terrible and the ground has shifted so much that it is time for an update.
(05-27-2011, 03:47 PM)Dr_j017 Wrote: Honestly if it were me, I would completely tear down the buildings at the front entrance, including the old fun house, terroride, safety and security, guess services, and fascination. I am not sure how I would redo the front, but I think the area needs a complete remodel. Especially if you look at those buildings from the top of the lift of Roller Coaster, it looks terrible and the ground has shifted so much that it is time for an update.
Rebuilding the Front of the Park and Expanding the Entrance Gates would be a Great Capital Improvement Project! Smile

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
I agree. I have noticed since being on this site, that alot of people notice some of the same issues that i do, so it cant be that i am just picky when it comes to astetics of the park. Like the parkinglot condition, etc. I personally just think that buildings and structures (especially on Lagoons unstable ground) reacha certain point when it is no longer viable to repair them, but to replace them. jmo
Let's see if my plan covers everything (I think it might even fix the entrance issue!) Here is sort of a tour of everything.

You officially enter Lagoon Resort around the area the magagement building formerly occupied. Walking down a long path you see the Lagoon Hotel to your left (about to the same quality as the Knott's Berry Farm Hotel), a parking lot transfer that had picked up guests at the large parking lot on the other side of the freeway, and upahead, you see the brand new entrance.

You pass past the ticket booths entering a circle. Before you is a brand new Lagoon entrance, themed to the likes of 19th century architecture with the Lagoon Logo above the guests waiting at the gates for the park to open. When it is time to open, the Star Spangles Banner plays over speakers, and when it is finished,a bell in the main tower above the entrance chimes, and the gates open.

When you enter, you find a large round fountain in the center of a square, colorful flowerbeds surrounding it. To your right is the guest relations building, but to your right is the new Museum of Lagoon. Here you will find the rich history of the park, as well as some pieces of old attractions including any of those that were lost in the large refurbishment of the park.

Walking further down the main street area, you find the first attraction from the entrance: The Carousel, relocated from its location by the theater and Kiddieland. The caroussel acts almost as a hub for the park, and thus you can go three ways.

If you go left, you will enter the new area of the park. Attractions here include an S&S 4th Dimension Coaster, an Intamin Water Ride to the likes of Pilgrim's Plunge, and a B&M inverted coaster. The S&S 4th Dimension Coaster would be 180ft. tall with a 200 ft. drop and would have the same layout roughly of X2. The Intamin MegaSplash would be 145 ft. high (the world's tallest water ride). Riders would get up by an elevator lift hill like Pilgrim's Plunge before plunging 145 ft. into water. And the B&M Inverted Coaster would be 140 ft. tall and would feature a loop, cobra roll, Imelmann, and two corkscrews. It would cross over into the East Midway area and would take up part of the area formerly occupied by Hyrdo Luge and Flying Aces (both of which would have sections in the Lagoon Museum).

If you were to continue straight forward from the caroussel, you will cross underneath a section of the B&M Invert and take the path into the new Pioneer Village. Upon entering the expanded Pioneer Village, to your right will be a HUSS Mega Discus ride (think MaXair) and to the right, the entrance to the dueling wooden roller coaster. Located in most of the area formerly occupied by Lagoon-A Beach, this dueling woodie designed by GCI takes riders up a 100 ft. lift hill before dropping in an amazing blend of smooth twists and turns as they battle to win the duel. The Discus ride would swing riders on the outside of the wheel up to 120 ft.

Continuing into Pioneer Vilalge, you will walk through the actual villagge area. All of the village and western town street will be kept. You will pass by the Log Flume, which is now extended and with a hightened drop, and Rattlesnake Rapids, slightly refurbished but with only a couple changes. Once you make it to the western street, you will find the return of the Western Shootout Stunt Show. And, at the very end of the street, taking up the area formerly occupied by the miniature train museum will be a new IMAX Simulator theater that will take riders through all the many great areas of Utah.

And if you were to turn right from the caroussel, you would enter the largest area of the park. Turning right will lead you straight past Samurai towards The Rocket (this is basically that extra exit near Samurai). The Sky Scraper remains, but the Paratroopers ride has been placed in the Lagoon Museum, though a statue stands where it stood, remembering the old attraction.

Where Jet Star 2 was located is a new S&S El Loco coaster. This 110 ft. coaster will hold the world's steepest drop at 115 degrees. Dacula's Castle and Terroride will remain based on their historical relevance, but Dracula's Castle will be refurbished (still with the same theming) into a shoot-em-up dark ride.

The Opera House is now a 3D Theater. The new Kiddieland still has OdySea, The Bat, Jumping Dragon and Bombora, but from there, things change a bit. The entrance for Lagoon-A-Beach is now the entrance for a new, highly themed dark boat ride that will cover part of the former Lagoon-A-Beach. From there, the Dinosaur/Lady Bug Drop rides remain along with the Kontiki and Dragonfly. Past Speedway Jr. which has been given a refurbishment, the area that is now packed with miniature rides has been completely redone. The area where puff was located is now a huge playground to the likes of the two found in Universal. Where the carousell was located is a new tea cups ride. The theater there now shows children shows since there has been a new theater built out of the area formerly occupied by the two terraces next to Jet Star 2. And in the area with all of the miniature rides are three new rides for children and families.

The Lagoon area has found the Tidal Wave ride moved for seating area to the new nighttime show on the Lagoon. The train has been refurbished, the areas for the animals now much more suitable and nicely themed. Turn of the Century remains where it was.

Roller Coaster hs been refurbished with a new coat of white paint, new station, new brake system, new lift hill, and some basic refurbs on the rough areas. A new 205 ft. Intamin Observation tower much like Hershey's Kissing Tower will be placed where the old Lagoon Theatre sits presently unused.

Rock-O-Plane and Centennial Screamer have both been removed respectively and been represented in the Lagoon Museum, with Tidal Wave being placed where Rock-O-Plane was (though closer to the water), and a nice new restaurant where Centennial Screamer was. Musik Express has been refurbished with a nice new queue as well as more musical theming, including lights.

Wild Mouse is now an indoor themed coaster with some refurbishment to the track. Cliffhanger remains as is. Spider is now also indoors, but with more extensive theming to the ride and queue than Wild Mouse, including an on-board stereo system. Colossus has had a major refurbishment as well as adding scenery to make it less of a parking lot coaster. Rocks, trees, water, etc. have been added as well as a new paint job and themed queue to give it more of a forest fantasy theme to fit in with the "Fire Dragon" part.

And to finish off the park, Wicked! has been transformed to be bigger and better. A storyline along with new highly themed queue have been added to include special effects like mist and fire along the ride. A dual-loading area has taken form, as well as a slightly new layout. Instead of turning right out of the station, the ride goes straight for a while before turning so as to add more launch motors to propel riders up a now 150ft. tower and down into an Imelmann instead of the near inversion curve. From there, the ride takes its regular path into the vertical g-roll and into the rest of the ride.

As for Lagoon-A-Beach, it has now taken up most of the parking lot since there is a new, larger one across the freeway. It will be its own park and will feature a wave pool, lazy river, a children's play area, and 10 slide attractions including racing slides, bowl and funnel slides, freefall slides, and the new looping slides.

YEs, my plans are far out of the Lagoon budget today, but one can always dream!
I'm having images of RCT2 vomit-covered pathways. Haha!

I'm confused about this part...

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: As for Lagoon-A-Beach, it has now taken up most of the parking lot since there is a new, larger one across the freeway.

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: Where Jet Star 2 was located is a new S&S El Loco coaster. This 110 ft. coaster will hold the world's steepest drop at 115 degrees. Dacula's Castle and Terroride will remain based on their historical relevance, but Dracula's Castle will be refurbished (still with the same theming) into a shoot-em-up dark ride.

It wouldn't be the steepest after Takabisha.

Now, here is what I would do.
Instead of giving Lagoon a complete revamp like RCInsider, I would add rides and move a few things, as well as revamp some of the rides with theming.
With adding rides, I would first deal with the Music USA Theater, and add a Zac Spin Coaster which would add a walkway from the Spider to the entrance of Music USA. That would also include the moving of Speedball by the entrance of Spider.

Lagoon-A-Beach will be moved to the north overflow parking lot, except it will stay to the east, so Lagoon will be able to expand out into the area, and also have that field paved, especially if they make another entrance to the park by the Annex. With the move, they would add a few of the looping slides, and a funnel slide a few years later. In the area of LAB, expand Kiddieland by moving Kontiki into the area, move Dragonfly toward the east a little bit, and move Moonraker toward the south. The Gift Shop and LAB Entrance Building will then house a Tea Cup Ride. Behind Bombora, a fountain will be constructed and themed with a Kiddieland logo on top and would be very colorful. With the rest of the area, add a coaster for Pioneer Village. Make it a Vekoma SLC, but have it be a custom coaster that goes over the lake some. Another thing that would be great, make the walkway by the lake wider.

With Kiddieland that is officially part of the north midway, make the grassy area better when their are shows in that area. The walkway from the walkway to the grassy area always has never looked good in my opinion, and it could be made better. Idk how, but it should be done. Besides the addition of the SLC in PV, also add the Huss Breakdance/Prairie Winds idea that I came up with last year. For the space that's by Jet Star 2, add either a Huss Frisbee XL, or a Zamperla Discovery, and move Flying Aces into the overflow parking lot, where I have a hypothesis that is where the rumored 200-foot coaster would go. Also, I agree with rebuilding the front entrance and those buildings there. That's all I have at this moment, but I know I have more, just can't remember them.
^How did you find that Takabisha coaster? That thing looks crazy, yet I feel this urge to ride it!

Anyway, I like your plane. Much more realistic yet perfect for Lagoon.
(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: Let's see if my plan covers everything (I think it might even fix the entrance issue!) Here is sort of a tour of everything......

When it is time to open, the Star Spangles Banner plays over speakers, and when it is finished,a bell in the main tower above the entrance chimes, and the gates open.
Some of that sounds awfully familiar. Tongue

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: Walking further down the main street area, you find the first attraction from the entrance: The Carousel, relocated from its location by the theater and Kiddieland.
Whoa, Relocating the Carousel from it's Historically Significant Location and Historically Significant Shelter? This is sounding more and more like the Cedar Fair house cleaning of Dorney Park. Frown

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: The B&M Inverted Coaster would be 140 ft. tall and would feature a loop, cobra roll, Imelmann, and two corkscrews. It would cross over into the East Midway area and would take up part of the area formerly occupied by Hyrdo Luge and Flying Aces (both of which would have sections in the Lagoon Museum).
Why would you remove Flying Aces, especially after what happened the first time? It would be a CRIME to lose another set of Flyers! Mad

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: If you were to continue straight forward from the caroussel, you will cross underneath a section of the B&M Invert and take the path into the new Pioneer Village. Upon entering the expanded Pioneer Village, to your right will be a HUSS Mega Discus ride (think MaXair) and to the right, the entrance to the dueling wooden roller coaster. Located in most of the area formerly occupied by Lagoon-A Beach, this dueling woodie designed by GCI takes riders up a 100 ft. lift hill before dropping in an amazing blend of smooth twists and turns as they battle to win the duel. The Discus ride would swing riders on the outside of the wheel up to 120 ft.
Let me understand, you would remove half of the Terraces? Are you aware that Company Picnics are a Big Part of Lagoon's Profits?

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: And, at the very end of the street, taking up the area formerly occupied by the miniature train museum will be a new IMAX Simulator theater that will take riders through all the many great areas of Utah.
Where is the Miniature Train Museum being relocated to?

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: The Opera House is now a 3D Theater.
That's one small 3D Theater. Wink

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: Roller Coaster has been refurbished with a.....new brake system.
This confuses me. Wink

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: Centennial Screamer has been removed.
Why? Centennial Screamer is a Popular Ride and there are not many HUSS Enterprises left. Wink

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: Wild Mouse is now an indoor themed coaster with some refurbishment to the track. Cliffhanger remains as is. Spider is now also indoors, but with more extensive theming to the ride and queue than Wild Mouse, including an on-board stereo system.
Why put both indoors? A Mouse in a Box (see The Dark Knight Coasters) is still a Mouse in a Box, not to mention two huge buildings on the south end wouldn't look very appealing. Wink

(05-29-2011, 04:46 PM)RCInsider Wrote: [Wicked] goes straight for a while before turning so as to add more launch motors to propel riders up a now 150ft. tower and down into an Imelmann instead of the near inversion curve.
So you would replace an Immelmann with an Immelmann? Laugh

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
^A was waiting for that. Happy

Anyway to reply to everything:

There are many parks who play the Star Spangled Banner before opening, it is not unusual, nor is it like stealing something. I guess if that location for the caroussel is so historically relevant it could stay, I just think it would look nice where I had it. Plus therew have been many caroussels that are much more famously historical which have been completely moved to other parks.

As for the Flying Aces, what do you mean what happened the first time? Plus, you must remember this is about 10-20 years in the future, I don't think that ride can survive thaat long, let alone be safe for that long.

Lagoon no longer would need to rely on profits from the terraces. Everything I have added would make Lagoon a national park and bring in many more visitors. Plus imagine the costs from a separate Lagoon-A-Beach and new hotel.

If the miniature Train Museum was so important, I guess the IMAX Simulator could move, but didn't that sound like a good idea? It could attract visitors who didn't have the time to explore everything in Utah to fly through all of the magnificent sites, sort of like Soarin'.

The 3D theater was sort of a last minite addition that is not so very important to this plan.

Next, scratch my idea with Wild Mouse. Keep Spider indoors, but with the exterior of that building all themed to a castle. Then completely get rid of Wild Mouse, keep Centennial Screamer, and put the nice family restaraunt where Wild Mouse was.

And lastly, do you know what an Imelmann is or have you even ridden a coaster with one? That near vertical curve on Wicked! is not even close. The definition is as follows: "An Immelmann loop (colloquially, "Immelmann") is a popular inversion found on many roller coasters. In an Immelmann, riders enter a half loop and then go through a half twist and curve out in the opposite direction in which they came." Ionly ish Wicked! had such thing, but it does not.

EDIT: Oh, and as for the brake system, in 10-20 years, that might be some time to give it a new brake system for safety as well as smoothness. The current brake system has you coming in at a sudden halt that surges riders forward, contrary to current wooden coasters.