[split] Speedway Sr. Removal?
(06-07-2010, 02:06 PM)skid_68 Wrote:
(06-07-2010, 01:03 PM)Duct Tape Coaster Wrote: Yeah Speedway was an awesome ride. That is one thing that impressed me the first time I went to CP was that they still had these type of rides. Autotopia was a blast too.

It's AUTOPIA, not AUTO-TOPIA. Sorry pet peeve of mine.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyla...actionPage

thanks for the correction.
Just came across this old photo and it brought back memories of the old Speedway. Anyone else remember waiting like this on the big yellow dots?

Robert and Tina on Autopia. (08/1968)

Robert and Tina on Autopia. (08/1968)
, on Flickr
Oh Yeah! That pic brings back a lot of old memories. I remember waiting & waiting & waiting in line, watching the Flying Aces though the trees when it was located just north of it, and (oh yes) standing on the yellow/red dots with the numbers on them, that got painted over and over, every few years. They never seemed to exactly match up to the cars' positions further down the line when they were all back at the station. lol If I remember correctly, in later years Lagoon gave up on putting numbers on them and they just became 'dots'. Lagoon's Speedway Sr's cars were turned the other way than AUTOPIA's, so guests entered and exited from the right. Hey, do you remember when Lagoon added those ugly high orange padded back supports to the cars? (like the ones they put on the New Wilder Wild Mouse) I'll never forget that WTF moment the first time I saw them. lol I'm sure they had to do with people not obeying that "DO NOT BUMP" rule. (Perhaps one too many cases of whiplash?) Then there were those leather strap seat belts with metal tab holes that would hook on the side of the car. Why couldn't there just have been normal car seat belts on them instead? And of course the gas pedal, like on the bumper cars, was on the left. It was either gas or brake though. No coasting here. Oh the memories! HaHa! Good Times!
You'll Never Know Until You Go!
Whoa! Tina has a kickin' backside...I wonder what she looks like now (43 years later!?) Shocked
I loved working Speedway Sr. Especially out in the field. Just roaming around the trees talking to people. Fun times. Then when Frightmares first started, they turned the Speedway into "Troll Road" We all wore burlap gowns, and troll mask's. It was so much fun because they allowed us to jump onto/into cars out in the field to scare people. That was the most fun I ever had at work. I miss those days. Frown
(11-16-2011, 08:10 PM)skid_68 Wrote: I loved working Speedway Sr. Especially out in the field. Just roaming around the trees talking to people. Fun times. Then when Frightmares first started, they turned the Speedway into "Troll Road" We all wore burlap gowns, and troll mask's. It was so much fun because they allowed us to jump onto/into cars out in the field to scare people. That was the most fun I ever had at work. I miss those days. Frown
Agreed! I miss those Speedway Sr. and Utah Troll Road Days! Frown

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
King's Island figured out that people really missed the cars they took out a long time ago and decided to bring them back. I hope this becomes a trend.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/20...006968002/
Banana
(08-17-2018, 01:49 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: King's Island figured out that people really missed the cars they took out a long time ago and decided to bring them back. I hope this becomes a trend.

I as well! I miss these types of rides.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(08-17-2018, 01:49 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: King's Island figured out that people really missed the cars they took out a long time ago and decided to bring them back. I hope this becomes a trend.

2004 was hardly a longtime.....wow, it has been a long time. I remember the outrage when Paramount announced they were removing the last car ride (The Park originally had 2 separate and large car rides) and shipping their Bisch-Rocco Flying Scooter to Kings Dominion. Watching the live announcement yesterday was pretty hilarious because there was so much outrage over adding the cars back. People also commented on how they made such a disapointing announcement on National Roller Coaster Day, even after the park stated it was the anniversary of the announcement of the closure.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(08-17-2018, 10:57 AM)linearinduction Wrote: 2004 was hardly a longtime.....wow, it has been a long time. I remember the outrage when Paramount announced they were removing the last car ride (The Park originally had 2 separate and large car rides) and shipping their Bisch-Rocco Flying Scooter to Kings Dominion. Watching the live announcement yesterday was pretty hilarious because there was so much outrage over adding the cars back. People also commented on how they made such a disapointing announcement  on National Roller Coaster Day, even after the park stated it was the anniversary of the announcement of the closure.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I think a lot of the outrage is there was this really stupid and hilariously bad rumor that has been going around that RMC was going to rebuild Son of Beast based on some super blurry image of supposedly Fred Grubb walking around at Kings Island. Personally I laughed at the rumor and the fuzzy image. There are so many reasons why the rumor was completely wack but there was a good following behind it and when no roller coaster was announced people were up in arms. I didn't realize it was the anniversary of the rides removal so that makes more sense why they announced it yesterday.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West