Jumping Dragon - New For 2009!
Welcome to the Official LagoonisFun.com Topic for all Discussion Concerning Jumping Dragon, Lagoon's New Ride for 2009!

Jumping Dragon Logo Courtesy Lagoon

Thank You to Ducky for the Confirmation E-Mail and Logo from Lagoon!
Quote:Dear <my first name>:

It is good to hear from you again. Thank you for your kind comments about the aesthetic physical atmosphere of the Park. Lagoon is lucky to have mature trees and our commitment to landscaping and gardens is now providing a nice dividend.

We have, in fact, selected a ride for the 2009 season. The new ride will be called Jumping Dragon. The motion is somewhat similar to the Musik Express ride, with hills and dales. The dragon consists of a large, ornately decorated dragon figure with 18 carriers throughout the circling body and culminating dramatically in an upward whipping 15 foot tail. As the dragon circles round and round chasing its tail, it leaps up to two meters and travels through a Chinese pagoda that is over 40 feet tall. The theming of the ride will be spectacular. I thought you might be interested in the logo that we have developed to represent the ride.

Preparation of the site for construction is well underway. The ride equipment should be shipped from Germany mid-February and installation will begin mid-March. When determining the placement of the ride, strong consideration was given to saving the trees in the area.

I have nothing new or exciting to report on the coaster for the 2011/2012 season except that the slow process of planning and development continues.

We plan to open for weekends beginning April 4th, weather permitting.

Sincerely,

David W. Freed, President

Ride Facts -
Ride Description: The Custom Themed Roundabout is a family ride for adults and children. It consists of a center frame with 20 sweeps extending from it radially. At the end of each of 17 of the sweeps the gondola is fastened. The remaining 3 sweeps carry the head and tail of the dragon or any other decoration. Each gondola is equipped with a running wheel running along a wavelike track creating the up and down motion.
Name: Jumping Dragon
Manufacturer: Zierer
Ride Model: Roundabout (Dragon Themed)
Ground Dimensions: approx. 14.3m x 47ft Diameter
Ride Mechanism: approx. 10m / 33ft Diameter
Number of Carriers: 18, Riders are Seated 2 Per Carrier
Number of Riders Per Cycle: 36
Ride Features: Will Travel Through a 40ft Tall Chinese Pagoda
Other: Ride Motion is Similar to Musik Express

Lagoon has Updated their Home Page with Animation for Jumping Dragon!

Last Update: Added Link to Lagoon Park Home Page for Jumping Dragon Animation.
Revised: January 20, 2009, 09:25:59pm
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
That sounds awesome! The theme sounds exciting. I think this will make a great addition.
The theme sounds amazing. Not only a pagoda, but one that stands a whopping 40 feet in the air!

Looking forward to this. Smile
Cannibal Count: 20
I would imagine that the finished ride will be like this, but more heavily themed.

Although this isn't exactly the coaster I was hoping for, I'm looking forward to riding this!
Member of Lagoon Games Department 2010-2011
Rubber Wrote: I would imagine that the finished ride will be like this, but more heavily themed.

Although this isn't exactly the coaster I was hoping for, I'm looking forward to riding this!
Poor Ducky, I'm Sure BGA will make you feel better! Laugh

I personally don't understand why people would complain about another ride being installed, coaster or not. Many parks go years without any kind of new ride or attraction, so I'm happy to see positive comments so far. Smile I don't care if Jumping Dragon is a Family Ride or Not, I'm sure watching the Kids on the Ride will be good Entertainment! Laugh

Story Time -
I remember opening weekend 2004 (or maybe it was the weekend after) but I was off work, it was raining, and I went to ride Kontiki and Dragonfly. Many other Employees had the same Idea as well. Tongue I took my seat on Dragonfly and this Kid, that was probably 5 or 6, got in the Chair in Front of me and asked me if I had been on it before. When I told him no, his eyes got big and he started to tell me how awesome it was, etc., etc., etc. During the Ride he kept looking back and yelling "WEEEE," and he yelled at me to yell "WEEEE" too, and I did. It was one of my all time Favorite Lagoon Memories. Smile
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
This sounds like a great addition to the park and I can't wait to see it.
I love the theming on this ride but the ride motion doesn't just look similar to music express but nearly identical.
I am pretty psyched that the ride will go backward, I've never ridden Musik Express and had it go backwards (and yes, I am aware that they stopped doing it because of wear on the tires). Cry
Member of Lagoon Games Department 2010-2011
Voovegas Wrote: I love the theming on this ride but the ride motion doesn't just look similar to music express but nearly identical.&nbsp; I wonder if this means Lagoon is thinking about removing music express?

(I love music express but it's seen better days and maybe it's time to retire it.)

http://www.zierer.com/framesetpro.htm

Jumping Dragon is more of a Junior Musik Express with Much Smaller Hills that are maybe 1 Meter Tall (I believe the ride is actually 2 Meters in Height). Zierer's Roundabout is Essentially the Same as a Zamperla Regatta. Here is a Video of the Racing Regatta at Silver Dollar City to give you an Idea of what a ride on Jumping Dragon will be like.Smile

Rubber Wrote: I am pretty psyched that the ride will go backward, I've never ridden Musik Express and had it go backwards (and yes, I am aware that they stopped doing it because of wear on the tires). Cry
We don't know how Jumping Dragon will be Operated and I was always told that Lagoon Stopped Operating Musik Express Backwards due to Extreme Wear on the Drive Motors and Brakes.Smile

The last couple of years there has been too many people on the midway at Lagoon. I would figure that making a high occupancy ride would be one way to fix that problem, but I guess repeatedly installing lame rides is another solution. Good thinking Lagoon!