Sid and Friends go to Utah's Hogle Zoo 10/19/2008
This is yet another late Photo Trip Report from October. Myself, Forum Members lagoononehourphotoguy, rockboy, & Murychic, and two others visited Utah's Hogle Zoo on a Beautiful Fall Sunday. Here are some Notable Photos of the Zoo Grounds, Animals, Renew The Zoo Projects, and their Brand New Conservation Carousel and Oasis Plaza.

[move]WARNING! WARNING! WARNING![/move]
This Photo Trip Report may Contain Sarcasm, Humor, Water Fowl, Non Dead Animals, Monkey Poo, and is known to Cause Gas and Minor Indigestion. The Views, Opinions, & Statements are those of linearinduction and are in no way affiliated with lagoonisfun.com, iamanidiot.com, Utah's Hogle Zoo, the Utah Zoological Society, anyone seen in the photos, Lagoon, Your Mom, Cedar Point, Your Grandmother, Dead or Alive Animals, Statues, Amber Alerts, Michael Jackson, Storm Warnings, a Duck, Infomercials, and Mumbo Jumbo Freekin Sweet Productions. You have been Warned!

Now, Without further adieu, here are the Photos!

Just inside the Entrance Plaza

A look towards the main part of the Zoo

A Monkey

A Black and White Monkey. I think his name is Michael Jackson

A Walking Leaf. They may walk the walk, but they do NOT talk the talk!

A Non Dead Elephant!

Another Non Dead Elephant!

Same Non Dead Elephant

The Rhinos Never Die

Look it's a COCK (Rooster)!

A Penguin (They STINK! Literally!)

More Penguins

A Bear...one that hasn't choked on a glove yet!

A Red Panda sleeping in a Tree

Asian Highlands I See You, but First...

A Giraffe that hasn't Fallen and Died!

Stop The Presses! There are at least TWO Giraffes that haven't Fallen and Died! There were actually Four or Five Giraffes that haven't Fallen and Died! Amazing!

Rockboy and some Beautiful Fall Foliage! Upon Further Thought, this could be the Burning Bush from the Bible that Moses Saw! Someone! Quick! Call LDS Church Headquarters!

Turns out it's not the Burning Bush that you read about in the Bible, so instead, you get some Big Cat Photos from the Asian Highlands Exhibit!

Snow Leopard or something like that

Big Snake! Hi Jardon!

Phone Book! I'm hoping the animala in this exhibit are trying to call the Association of Zoos and Aquariums about the Bears that Choke on Gloves and Die and Giraffes that Slip, Fall, and Die!

Mother and Baby Meerkat

Baby Meetkat

A Pelican

A Swan

And to Finish up the Animal Photos, I Present....Camel Toe!

Now that you've seen most of the Animal Photos, I'd like to focus on the Area that will soon become Arctic Edge, Phase Five of Hogle Zoo's Master Plan and Second Project Funded by the Renew The Zoo Campaign. The First Project Funded by the Renew the Zoo Campaign will be the L.S. Skaggs Animal Care Facility that will open in 2009.

Right Now, this Area Currently Contains the "Savannah Animals" Exhibit

Grevy's Zebras

Grevy's Zebra and a Chicken?

A Guinea Hen

A Guinea Hen and Chicken

lagoononehourphotoguy and the Bear Exhibits

The Bear Grotto Food Stand

The Lower Part of the African Savannah Exhibit and a Cuvier's Gazelle or Springbok in the back ground

I Swear this Observation Area has been "Closed for Repair" for at least 9 Years! It was closed on my Last Visits in 2000 & 2001.

Finally, I wanted to share some Photos of the New for 2008 Conservation Carousel & Oasis Plaza and the "Zoofari Express" Train Ride. Hogle Zoo's Conservation Carousel Features 42 Hand Carved Wooden Animals, 2 Beautiful Chariots, was Manufactured by Carousel Works of Mansfield, Ohio, and resides under a Beautiful Pavilion for Year Round Operation. Here are some photos of this Stunning Custom Wooden Carousel and Pavilion.

Conservation Carousel Sign on top of the Pavilion

See, It's Beautiful!

One of the Hand Painted Scenes from the Many Scenery Panels

Beautiful Hand Painted Scene Featuring Peacocks and a Waterfall

Beautiful Hand Painted Scene Featuring a Bald Eagles

More Art Work

Part of the Beautiful Mural on the Inside of the Carousel

Princess Alice, Hogle Zoo's first Elephant, is Featured in Hand Carved Wood around the Upper Scenery Panels

One of the Two Chariots on the Conservation Carousel, this one features scenes from Africa including Meerkats

Back of the African Chariot

The Beautiful Peacock Charriot

Back of the Peacock Chariot

Simple Operator Controls

Conservation Carousel Rider Rules

Conservation Carousel Prices

Conservation Carousel and Pavilion from the Reptile House

Conservation Carousel and Pavilion moving towards the Apes

Conservation Carousel and Pavilion Closer to the Apes

Here are some Photos of the New Oasis Cafe and Carousel Ticket Window

The Oasis Cafe Building from the Center of Oasis Plaza

Oasis Cafe Building from the Conservation Carousel

Oasis Cafe Building from the Conservation Carousel Entrance

Oasis Cafe Outdoor Dining Area

The Conservation Carousel from the Entrance of the Oasis Cafe

The Conservation Carousel, Oasis Plaza, and new Path to the Apes from the Entrance of the Oasis Cafe

Blurry Oasis Cafe Menu

The Two GREAT Oasis Cafe Employees! One even reads the LIF Boards. PM me and I'll Add your name.

New Oasis Plaza Restrooms

Moving onto the Final Attraction at Hogle Zoo...the Zoofari Express Train Ride. The Zoofari Express is a 24" Gauge Chance Manufacturing (Now Chance Rides Manufacturing/Change-Morgan Rides) C.P. Huntington Locomotive with 4 Passenger Coaches that Date back to 1969. The cost to ride the Zoofari Express is $1.00 for non Zoo Members and $.50 for Zoo Members.

The Zoofari Express waits for Riders in the Station

Head-On View of the CPH Locomotive

The Zoofari Express on a Run

The Zoofari Express entering the Last of Three Grade Crossings as it heads towards the Truss Bridge, Moffat Tunnel, and Engine House

Hogle Zoo's CPH Locomotive is Serial Number 69-5008-24

Hogle Zoo's CPH carries the Number 68. Most CPH Locomotives are Numbered in the Order they were Manufactured. This means Hogle Zoo owns the 68th CPH Chance Manufactured. Today, there have been over 350 C.P. Huntington Locomotives Manufactured.

The First of Three Grade Crossings. This Grade Crossing is Protected by Two Grade Crossing Signals Manufactured by Scale Signals Company and Automatic Gates

The Second of Three Grade Crossings (Looking North)

The Second of Three Grade Crossings (Looking South)

This Grade Crossing is Protected by this Chance Manufacturing Railroad Crossing Signal and Automatic Gates.

Example of the Proximity Switches used to Trigger the Grade Crossing Signals and Gates

The Last of Three Grade Crossings. This Grade Crossing is Protected by Two Chance Manufacturing Grade Crossing Signals and Parking Lot "Gates."

The Entrance Plaza from the First Grade Crossing

I know it's Shocking Hogle Zoo is AZA Accredited after the Bears Choking on Gloves, Giraffes Slipping, Falling, and Dieing, and the African Elephant that just died. But Hey, at least they win awards at the Annual IAAPA Convention for their Marketing Materials, Radio and TV Commercials, and Print Ads!

Finally, here is a Group Shot of us! Top Row: Murychic (Kayla), linearinduction (Me/Sid), Skylar, & Amanda. Bottom Row: Rockboy (Andy) and lagoononehourphotoguy (Legrand)

Now, Please Discuss...
- Sid
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Last time I went to the Hogle Zoo, I found they had removed the hippos and I think the lions as well to put in the stupid carousel. Hogle Zoo is a ZOO not an amusement park. I really liked the hippos, even though they smelled. Laugh
Member of Lagoon Games Department 2010-2011
The Hippo (Frank I Think) Died many years ago.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Sid, I really enjoyed your photos and comments. I haven't been to the zoo in years. I am thinking of going to the Zoo soon to see all of the new stuff in person. Thanks again for the photos.
davehi1 Wrote: Sid, I really enjoyed your photos and comments. I haven't been to the zoo in years. I am thinking of going to the Zoo soon to see all of the new stuff in person. Thanks again for the photos.
Thank You Dave! I worked really hard on the Comments. Tongue I am hoping to capture much more of Hogle Zoo Next Spring/Summer with my New Camera and 4GB Memory Card! Laugh