The old stories of the old Wild Mouse (and other things)
It's because of how many ride accidents have been on the media. Not sure if it's a weird spike in accidents, or media news realizes how much people are reacting to these and are using it to boost ratings.
Go to just about any POV video on the internet and you'll find someone saying how "they know someone who flew off this ride" or whatever. It's silly, made-up stories.

Heck, go to any Vortex POV and there'll inevitably be a discussion about how the ride is sinking or "a ride operator told me they're tearing it down next year." It's all nonsense.

Roller Coaster (Lagoon) POVs are good too. "This ride is so old that I thought it was going to fall apart!!" or some other stuff.
(08-25-2014, 05:13 PM)Talor Wrote: Heck, go to any Vortex POV and there'll inevitably be a discussion about how the ride is sinking or "a ride operator told me they're tearing it down next year." It's all nonsense.
You are just confusing Vortex with the Magnum XL-200, which IS Sinking into Lake Erie. Wicked is also Sinking! lol
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(04-04-2013, 03:54 PM)Mustang Wrote: Wouldnt there be any evidence of it in any of the archives of newspapers from the area cause i would believe a car coming off the tracks of any roller coaster would find its way into any form of news cause that is a huge event that would almost be impossible to cover up due to the fact that in any amusement park there would be numerous witnesses i don't mean to walk over your mothers account of the event at all im just pointing out that there would be some sort of mention to it even if lagoon did cover it up there still would be something to back up the event since anyone who would have been there to see it at least one person would have at least taken it to the press. Sid  can correct me if i am wrong.  If any mention could be found to back this up i would love to solve this mystery but as it stands now this is just an urban legend to me.

I doubt that anyone was ever killed on the Old Wild (Wilder) Mouse Ride (1973-1990).  However, like many people in the area I grew up going to lagoon.  During 1988-1990 my cousin and I went several times a week during the summers.  I was there when the following (2) incidents occurred:  

1)     Once the white (now brown, wooden) roller-coaster cart we were riding in  didn’t catch on the speed reducing mechanisms after the plunge. The consequence of which was the best ride we ever had on the wooden roller-coaster. Maybe the plate was warn or something but usually just after a dip of the roller-coaster you felt the grab of something slowing you down.  This time we felt nothing slowing it and we came into the bay way ahead of schedule.  The operators noted the issue and despite our remonstration took the cart off the track and wouldn’t let us ride it again. 

2)     That same cousin and I were riding the older wild mouse in 1989-1990 (not sure when), we had ridden it many times prior.  This time we were both leaning towards the left side of the cart when it made a 180 degree turn (I recall it was at the far west end of the ride where you can see the parking lot unimpeded). We did that so that it would squish the other person during the G force of the turn (my cousin may have actually pushed off the other side and smashed into me right as we turned, he thought that kind of stuff was funny).  I recall the cart tipped and went up onto its side. I thought for sure we were going to fall and splat on the asphalt in the parking lot.   In a panic we both pushed ourselves towards the right side of the cart as it came back down. For the rest of the ride we sat stunned and worried that the cart would tip again.  We were seriously frightened by what had happened (We may have told the operator about it, I can’t recall). We told our grandfather that we almost died and neither of us ever went on that ride again. When we heard they were getting rid of the ride we wished it good riddance.     

I think it possible that other people may have had a similar experience as ours.  When we heard the urban myth that someone had died on the Wild Mouse we had no trouble believing it, and assumed we had narrowly avoided the same fate.  Now with no record to back up the story of a death I doubt that one ever occurred.  However, I do not doubt that the ride was unsafe and I assume that other people may have experienced a tipping car.  Both of us were definitely part of the dissemination of that rumor of a death on the old Wild Mouse.
Your experience definitely sounds possible from what I remember of the ride. Also possible that it happened to several others which probably fed the rumor as well. It's such a common rumor, I think the only reason people insist it happened was that so many people have talked about it. Nowadays I hear teenagers claim it happened on the current Wild Mouse, not realizing there was an older version.
(09-01-2016, 04:15 PM)Brădēn Wrote: Your experience definitely sounds possible from what I remember of the ride. Also possible that it happened to several others which probably fed the rumor as well. It's such a common rumor, I think the only reason people insist it happened was that so many people have talked about it.  Nowadays I hear teenagers claim it happened on the current Wild Mouse, not realizing there was an older version.

Ah Lagoon rumors. My kids are young and still believe me, I wonder if I can start a rumor of a grisly murder on Dracula's Castle.  If at some future point you hear of a gruesome stabbing that took place in the 80’s or 90's on that very ride you’ll know I have succeeded.
I think I saw that actually. Haha
My favorite Lagoon rumor. Waiting in line for air race I Heard a girl tell her friend that they had to rebuild this ride because it burnt down because someone was smoking on it. Considering it's pretty much all metal....one powerful cigarette!
(09-02-2016, 03:03 AM)crooks.mark Wrote: My favorite Lagoon rumor. Waiting in line for air race I Heard a girl tell her friend that they had to rebuild this ride because it burnt down because someone was smoking on it. Considering it's pretty much all metal....one powerful cigarette!

Must have been those new Nuclear Powered Vapes! LOL!  Laugh
Thinking about the wild mouse death rumors last night I remembered something. I grew up not far from Saratoga. Saratoga was a very sketchy place compared to Lagoon. They also had a wood wild mouse. Things were not maintained very well there. I remember hearing as a child that a bad accident had happened on that ride. I do not know if it is true or not and information on that old park is hard to come by. Anyway if that was the wild mouse accident I wonder if it got changed to Lagoon instead of Saratoga as the story got passed on.