Saltair Resort
On another point, funny that you guys should be talking about this. I got a book recently by Linda Dunning (who writes great books about the haunted/mysterious/neat/great places in Utah) called Lost Landscapes. It has a whole chapter detailing the history of the resort, including all the trouble the poor place had after its grand days in the twenties. It was extremely interesting. It's amazing just how many times that place caught fire, or was blown down by high-force winds.
"Life is a rollercoaster. Try to eat a light lunch."

--David A. Schmaltz
AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways I would like to see the first Giant Racer roller coaster be biult at Lagoon next year. It would fit with the 5 year plan.
[quote author=Tilt-A-Whirl Girl link=topic=2557.msg20146#msg20146 date=1203528367]
On another point, funny that you guys should be talking about this. I got a book recently by Linda Dunning (who writes great books about the haunted/mysterious/neat/great places in Utah) called Lost Landscapes. It has a whole chapter detailing the history of the resort, including all the trouble the poor place had after its grand days in the twenties. It was extremely interesting. It's amazing just how many times that place caught fire, or was blown down by high-force winds.
Makes me wonder if this is Lagoon's old Ferris Wheel...
Where was that taken?

P.S. We recently started a thread about Lagoon's Ferris Wheel elsewhere.
Liberty Park is where that was taken.
Man, Saltair racer sounds awesome.
Lagoon is ruled by lunchtimespacedragons of farming utahn's from the late 1800's.
Sorry for the Thread bump.

A new project I have been working on is a recreation of the last of Saltair's coasters. The Giant Racer. We know its 110 feet tall and I've been told it did 55 mph but that is not confirmed. Based off pictures I have found of the ride. I am working on a recreation. It won't be exact but it should be pretty close and at least give a glimpse of what the ride was like. Here is a preview of the ride so far.  Its far from being completed. If you have any pictures or information about this ride I'd love to see them and read about it. Anything will help with recreating this ride.

Thanks

[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
I have this book: https://www.amazon.com/Saltair-Bonnevill...0874801338

I think most or all of its Giant Racer photos and info can also be found with a Google search, but I'll comb through it and see what I can find.
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
Based on your recreation (I understand still in progress)... I'd bet it was a fun ride back in the day!

Do we know if it burnt or if the salt finally killed it? I don't know much about the history (I didn't grow up in Utah).