Lagoon Is Fun
Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - Printable Version

+- Lagoon Is Fun (https://www.lagoonisfun.com)
+-- Forum: Lagoon (https://www.lagoonisfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Lagoon Discussion (https://www.lagoonisfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. (/showthread.php?tid=5988)

Pages: 1 2

Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - linearinduction - 01-16-2019

First, let me state that it's a slow news month, as September, November, February, and May are the only months TV News Stations actually do something. Second, the State Representative, Val Potter, was a "Sales and Marketing Manager for S&S Power Sports, Inc. (S&S Power/S&S Worldwide)," and had nothing to do with the Safety Aspect of any part of the Industry. Third, the events, as described by the Minor and Guardian CLEARLY misundstand the safety and operations of Amusement Rides and the Guardian misunderstood and misstated the conversation with a Lagoon Guest Services Representative. Finally, this "News Story," as based on the "Witness Accounts," fails to meet any form of Investigative Journalism Standards and shows a complete lack of due diligence on the part of the Reporter, KUTV, and is clearly in the same vain as other Sinclair Broadcast Group stations in regards to reporting people's Opinions as "News."

On with the show...
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2233832386941962&id=100009456679070

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

RE: Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - UtahCoasterEnth - 01-16-2019

(01-16-2019, 11:29 PM)linearinduction Wrote: First, let me state that it's a slow news month, as September, November, February, and May are the only months TV News Stations actually do something. Second, the State Representative, Val Potter, was a "Sales and Marketing Manager for S&S Power Sports, Inc. (S&S Power/S&S Worldwide)," and had nothing to do with the Safety Aspect of any part of the Industry. Third, the events, as described by the Minor and Guardian CLEARLY misundstand the safety and operations of Amusement Rides and the Guardian misunderstood and misstated the conversation with a Lagoon Guest Services Representative. Finally, this "News Story," as based on the "Witness Accounts," fails to meet any form of Investigative Journalism Standards and shows a complete lack of due diligence on the part of the Reporter, KUTV, and is clearly in the same vain as other Sinclair Broadcast Group stations in regards to reporting people's Opinions as "News."

On with the show...
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2233832386941962&id=100009456679070

Oh My wife and I watched this story last night and were just in awe of how crappy and misleading it was. The boy in the story never said it opened up. He was just too preoccupied that they "picked" on him to double check his restraint and then it moved as the restraints on Rocket do! They don't realize how many times a day a seat is rechecked on that ride. I didn't know the details of what Val Potter had to do with the Amusement Industry when he said he had experience but as a sales and marketing manager you are not involved in safety aspect.

RE: Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - linearinduction - 01-16-2019

(01-16-2019, 11:34 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Oh My wife and I watched this story last night and were just in awe of how crappy and misleading it was. The boy in the story never said it opened up. He was just too preoccupied that they "picked" on him to double check his restraint and then it moved as the restraints on Rocket do! They don't realize how many times a day a seat is rechecked on that ride. I didn't know the details of what Val Potter had to do with the Amusement Industry when he said he had experience but as a sales and marketing manager you are not involved in safety aspect.
Selling Cars doesn't make you an Auto Safety Expert and/or Expert Car Mechanic, but according to KUTV, it aparently should give you authority to regulate Auto Safety and Car Mechanics? lol

I thought nothing could be worse than the US Senator Ed Marky "Amusment Ride Safety" crusade of the early 2000s...but I stand corrected now. lol

RE: Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - crooks.mark - 01-17-2019

Yes I found this story downright stupid. I have never felt anything but safe while on any of Lagoon's attractions. Anyone who spends any time in the park can clearly see how obsessed with safety they are.

RE: Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - DragonTamer - 01-17-2019

(01-17-2019, 01:44 AM)crooks.mark Wrote: Yes I found this story downright stupid. I have never felt anything but safe while on any of Lagoon's attractions. Anyone who spends any time in the park can clearly see how obsessed with safety they are.

Up until a couple of years ago, I'd have gone along with that.  It's clear there's still a safety culture in management, but there's a definite disconnect between the average employee, and I feel like a lot of the issues I've seen come from the Work & Travel crowd.

In the past few years, I've witnessed ride operators (and leads) turn away from their ride while it's operating to talk to other employees on more than one occasion.  I've watched ride operators heads-down in their smartphone while the ride is operating.  And, most egregiously, I watched a ride operator start a ride while a family member of mine was still inside the ride enclosure (after helping a child into a Kiddieland ride).

Never used to think so, but there definitely is a disquieting disconnect between training and operation that if left un-fixed, I fear will end with another fatality in the next few seasons.  And I've been on the other side of the operator console, so I'm speaking from experience.

I didn't get to see the story (tried, but the FB link is dead) so I can't speak to its contents directly, I'm just speaking from own observations.

RE: Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - CPrider - 01-17-2019

Lol everyone knows on S&S towers. The restraint always has 1 to 2 inch of play in it. As soon as the restraints limit switch on the back would have released the ride would have pulled a Estop immediately.
Lagoon is also the most safety-minded park that I've worked for.

RE: Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - jetstar2 - 01-17-2019

Here's the story.
https://kutv.com/news/get-gephardt/utah-amusement-parks-may-finally-have-state-oversight-inspections

I have seen Lagoon operators not operating a ride safely on at least one occasion, which I probably wouldn't have noticed if another poster in this thread hadn't also seen it and lost his doodie.

It looks like Lagoon doesn't oppose the legislation, so there's not much story here. I did notice that it said Lagoon was currently involved in 8 lawsuits over injuries. It makes me wonder what changed since the Fun House days. The Fun House was not completely safe like everything is now. There was a very real chance you were going to get hurt in there. People definitely got hurt in there. Was there more of an 'enter at your own risk' mentality then? Did people still sue but medical bills were reasonable enough back then that it wasn't a massive deal? I know there was some sort of change that made thngs like the fun house impossible to continue with, but what was it that changed exactly?

RE: Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - DeLorean - 01-17-2019

When they are talking about liability insurance... are they talking about the park or the operators?
Cause I can't imagine any park not having liability insurance.
Rocket was one ride that I didn't on last year (mainly because my 2 little ones are not tall enough and my oldest wouldn't ride it with me.
I have found that because of my "roundness" that they have had to move me to another seat or I have had to make sure that the restraint is down far enough for the ride to indicate "Safe to go"
so I am sure that if they restraint did move it was still way way in the safety zone of the ride just like CPrider said It would have stopped or not gone at all.
I will agree that there are some parks that need a little more oversight, but after the last few years of "incidents" that those holes are now been reviewed and is being watched now.

Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - Cannibal Crazy - 01-17-2019

If I had a dollar for every time I heard a story like that kids... Lagoon is definitely a safe park and if you look at their track record it shows that. There’s no possible way he could’ve held the restraint down against the force of rocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Utah State Representative Proposes Amusement Ride Safety Bill....The Sequel. - linearinduction - 01-17-2019

(01-17-2019, 10:18 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: Here's the story.
https://kutv.com/news/get-gephardt/utah-amusement-parks-may-finally-have-state-oversight-inspections

I have seen Lagoon operators not operating a ride safely on at least one occasion, which I probably wouldn't have noticed if another poster in this thread hadn't also seen it and lost his doodie.

It looks like Lagoon doesn't oppose the legislation, so there's not much story here. I did notice that it said Lagoon was currently involved in 8 lawsuits over injuries. It makes me wonder what changed since the Fun House days. The Fun House was not completely safe like everything is now. There was a very real chance you were going to get hurt in there. People definitely got hurt in there. Was there more of an 'enter at your own risk' mentality then? Did people still sue but medical bills were reasonable enough back then that it wasn't a massive deal? I know there was some sort of change that made thngs like the fun house impossible to continue with, but what was it that changed exactly?
Pretty sure that was directed at me, and you bet I did! Fortunately I spoke with management about the situation and it was addressed, just as what I witnessed on Boomerang, Air Race, and Roller Coaster this year.

In my years in this industry, as Josh touched on, Lagoon's Management is Extremely Diligent concerning the Safety of Guests. If you see something, say something. Lagoon does not see "falling short" so to speak as part of any equation. They would rather address a situation immediately than just have it ignored.

The Training and Coaching of the Ops falls to the Area Leads and their Co-Ordinators. On the job Coaching is extremely important, and for the most part, when I've seen something and said something, it is usually the Area Lead that comes and takes care of the coaching. In more serious instances, it's been a Co-ordinator or Manager that has addressed the issue.