Lagoon Is Fun
WK Train & Frightmares - Printable Version

+- Lagoon Is Fun (http://www.lagoonisfun.com)
+-- Forum: Lagoon (http://www.lagoonisfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Rides (http://www.lagoonisfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: WK Train & Frightmares (/showthread.php?tid=5706)

Pages: 1 2

WK Train & Frightmares - DragonTamer - 10-09-2017

Encountered something that (as a former WK Train engineer in a previous life) totally didn't make any sense to me, and I wanted to run it by anybody who's had any more-recent experience with the locos of our favorite little railroad.

Sunday evening, we waited in the station (after boarding) for over 10 minutes before the train left the station.  When we got back, I asked what the hold-up was, and was informed by a Coordinator and later backed up by a Team Lead that it's too cold for the locomotives and they have to wait in the station to build up pressure again.

Now, again, I'm a steam nut and have had previous time behind the throttle... and that just came off a little weird to me.  I've operated both locos in the early Spring and (pre-Frightmares) late season before on some chilly eves & mornings and never had any trouble keeping the locos fired and ready to run.  Considering the light loads & slow speeds WK Train pulls, I can't for the life of me imagine it's getting cold enough in October that a competent engineer can't make steam in those gals.

Is this just a case of operators that don't know what they're doing?

RE: WK Train & Frightmares - Brăden - 10-09-2017

I think we got that excuse a month or two ago. There was also a time in the middle of the summer we were about to be the last ride of the night but they had us leave instead because there wasn't enough battery power to make it all the way around again.

RE: WK Train & Frightmares - jetstar2 - 10-09-2017

Is the boiler powered by propane or what? Propane tanks don't work right if the they are under 44 degrees especially if they are running low... maybe it's something like that. And uh... is something on the train also battery powered?

What I'm interested to know is if you saw the big cats? I heard from questionable sources Lagoon had permanently closed the big cat exhibit and I wonder if it could possibly be true.

RE: WK Train & Frightmares - DragonTamer - 10-09-2017

(10-09-2017, 08:28 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Is the boiler powered by propane or what? Propane tanks don't work right if the they are under 44 degrees especially if they are running low... maybe it's something like that. And uh... is something on the train also battery powered?

Yeah, the fire that heats the water in the boiler is propane. Admittedly, not a propane expert, so that could possibly be it. It was in the low 40s (nearing 8pm Sunday night), and I'm sure the tank was not near empty, but wasn't full either. (It's typically topped off daily, at least in summer, but not sure how low it gets from memory.)

There's a couple of things that require battery power since Lagoon doesn't run a generator on their trains (it's really impractical on such a small boiler), notably the headlight (not that anybody bothers using that anymore), cab lighting, and the safety electronics for the propane in the firebox.

(10-09-2017, 08:28 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: What I'm interested to know is if you saw the big cats? I heard from questionable sources Lagoon had permanently closed the big cat exhibit and I wonder if it could possibly be true.

I hadn't heard that rumor, but all of the big cat cages had their lights off & we saw no sign of them. The only cat we saw was the puma.

RE: WK Train & Frightmares - jetstar2 - 10-09-2017

Thanks for the info. I'd guess that if Lagoon did decide to do something with the cats they'd never announce it. I want to see WK train re-imagined. Build more natural looking habitats for a few animals, find new homes for the rest, add some caves, some water features, some props. Lagoon should talk to the guys at the Train Shoppe. It's such a no-brainer IMO.

RE: WK Train & Frightmares - crooks.mark - 10-09-2017

(10-09-2017, 09:08 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Thanks for the info. I'd guess that if Lagoon did decide to do something with the cats they'd never announce it. I want to see WK train re-imagined. Build more natural looking habitats for a few animals, find new homes for the rest, add some caves, some water features, some props. Lagoon should talk to the guys at the Train Shoppe.  It's such a no-brainer IMO.
I so agree. The entire thing is in such dire need of an update.

RE: WK Train & Frightmares - Brăden - 10-09-2017

The big cats were there last time I was there, at the end of September.

RE: WK Train & Frightmares - 2319 - 10-10-2017

(10-09-2017, 10:56 PM)Brăden Wrote: The big cats were there last time I was there, at the end of September.

They were there this last weekend as well

RE: WK Train & Frightmares - jetstar2 - 10-10-2017

Thanks for the info. It seems the claim I heard was unsurprisingly wrong.

RE: WK Train & Frightmares - crooks.mark - 10-10-2017

(10-10-2017, 12:31 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: Thanks for the info. It seems the claim I heard was unsurprisingly wrong.

Probably just another crazy Lagoon rumor