Lagoon Is Fun
Suggestion - tip line - Printable Version

+- Lagoon Is Fun (http://www.lagoonisfun.com)
+-- Forum: LagoonIsFun.com (http://www.lagoonisfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: LagoonIsFun.com Discussion (http://www.lagoonisfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Suggestion - tip line (/showthread.php?tid=5647)

Pages: 1 2

Suggestion - tip line - jetstar2 - 06-06-2017

I'd like to suggest that Lagoon is Fun consider creating a forum for and program to disseminate anonymous tips. Something kind of like screamscape.

It would work like this: A site administrator would agree to accept information from anonymous or nominal sources, and post that information publicly while withholding any information that could identify the source of the info (assuming the site administrator agrees it is worth posting).

If such a service were clearly available something like the Terroride demolition pictures that appeared in January and were overlooked might have found a better home.

RE: Suggestion - Curated Leaks - linearinduction - 06-06-2017

Lagoon is such a small organization, it's not hard for Lagoon to track down a source. There's a good friend of mine that has always kept his mouth shut and never leaked anything because he promised he wouldn't, and I respect that.

We get enough information from many sources, like about Lagoon's Mountain Guardian, which is shared publicly when it's out there.

There may be some things that moderators know about that we sit on, because sources have asked us to, and we have to respect that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RE: Suggestion - Curated Leaks - jetstar2 - 06-06-2017

(06-06-2017, 06:01 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Lagoon is such a small organization, it's not hard for Lagoon to track down a source. There's a good friend of mine that has always kept his mouth shut and never leaked anything because he promised he wouldn't, and I respect that.

We get enough information from many sources, like about Lagoon's Mountain Guardian, which is shared publicly when it's out there.

There may be some things that moderators know about that we sit on, because sources have asked us to, and we have to respect that.

Isn't it odd that any of these sources include a caveat of 'don't talk about it till it's publicly known'? In getting the info you've made a promise to never talk about the info. Even if another source with the same info came along you'd still be bound not to talk about it. You are being bribed with the info in order to keep the info quiet. The #1 thing the average person who visits this site wants to know is what kind of new rides are coming. You will continue to know and they will never be told.

I propose that accepting leaked info as a bribe in order to help keep it a secret is immoral. I don't want to argue about morality with you, linearinduction, but I ask anybody else who might find themselves in any kind of similar situation, where they are receiving insider information under a promise to never discuss it, to consider whether it's really the right thing to do. Why is it OK to leak it a little, but not TOO much? Is leaking something OK, or is it not?

RE: Suggestion - Curated Leaks - Willenator - 06-07-2017

I had a way to anonymously contact me and share information for years on this site, and I remember getting a handful of things from time to time. Sadly, most of the information that came my way stopped after Lagoon implemented the policy on sharing stuff. That was why I haven't used it for three or four years now. I could always set something up again and see if anything comes our way.

I've had to shift the website a bit over the years. It used to be about sharing what people shared with me. As that has gone away, I've moved more towards having fun trying to figure out what Lagoon is doing or may be planning based on what I've seen and the occasional rumor that pops up here and there. People will still try to share some small tidbit here and there, which helps with the guessing game. I think it will continue to evolve how we try to track down new stuff. The last year and a half, I've moved to watching sites like Instagram for people sharing stuff from Lagoon. I'm always surprised every now and then the little bit of information I can gather.

RE: Suggestion - Curated Leaks - jetstar2 - 06-07-2017

I think it's clear that there might be some people out there with stuff they're willing to share. With the popularity of various leaks websites this kind of activity may be increasing. Having a clearly defined "Lagoon Leaks" page or forum might draw people who want to share things. People would need to be told they could face some risks, but that their identity won't be disclosed. It could be a safer route for some people who are going to share photos or other information anyway. It should probably be stated that Lagoon Leaks isn't for exposing politically charged secrets, just finding out about the cool ride Lagoon is building.

Obviously there wouldn't be a constant flow of new leaks, but even one or two a year would justify it IMO.

RE: Suggestion - Curated Leaks - linearinduction - 06-07-2017

(06-06-2017, 06:34 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Isn't it odd that any of these sources include a caveat of 'don't talk about it till it's publicly known'? In getting the info you've made a promise to never talk about the info. Even if another source with the same info came along you'd still be bound not to talk about it. You are being bribed with the info in order to keep the info quiet. The #1 thing the average person who visits this site wants to know is what kind of new rides are coming. You will continue to know and they will never be told.

I propose that accepting leaked info as a bribe in order to help keep it a secret is immoral. I don't want to argue about morality with you, linearinduction, but I ask anybody else who might find themselves in any kind of similar situation, where they are receiving insider information under a promise to never discuss it, to consider whether it's really the right thing to do. Why is it OK to leak it a little, but not TOO much? Is leaking something OK, or is it not?
Myself and several others were given precise details about Wicked Twister (Height of Twisted Spikes & Double Twisted and Faster Version of Superman at Geauga Lake), Top Thrill Dragster (Exact Height, Speed, Location, and that Dodgems 2 was being sent to MIA), and about a 4-D Coaster with a "Full/Full over a New Main Entrance" ALA Gatekeeper in September 2001. I never told anyone, does that make me Immoral? I also knew details of Wicked while it was in the design phase, and again, didn't share. These were BEFORE parks explicitly directed employees not to share "Trade Secrets/Proprietary Information" on the Internet or via Social Media as part of an Employment Agreement. There were many things I was not permitted to share on the Internet as per my Employment Agreement as an Area Lead at Lagoon.

Again, when there has been corroboration of certain details from multiple sources, we (LIF Management) may discuss if we believe we can share the information publicly without compromising the identity of our sources.

(06-07-2017, 01:05 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: I think it's clear that there might be some people out there with stuff they're willing to share. With the popularity of various leaks websites this kind of activity may be increasing. Having a clearly defined "Lagoon Leaks" page or forum might draw people who want to share things. People would need to be told they could face some risks, but that their identity won't be disclosed. It could be a safer route for some people who are going to share photos or other information anyway. It should probably be stated that Lagoon Leaks isn't for exposing politically charged secrets, just finding out about the cool ride Lagoon is building.

Obviously there wouldn't be a constant flow of new leaks, but even one or two a year would justify it IMO.
Many Cannibal details came to light from the amount of contracted work and staff required to build such a large attraction. If Lagoon's Mountain Guardian has a large amount of contracted/temporary workers, you can bet we will hear details. Again, once Bills of Lading have become public record, we release that information, unless Lagoon has made a prior announcement.

RE: Suggestion - Curated Leaks - gregwibert - 06-07-2017

The last thing we want to do is get someone's employment terminated due to sharing too much.  Wink

RE: Suggestion - Curated Leaks - linearinduction - 06-07-2017

(06-07-2017, 07:25 AM)gregwibert Wrote: The last thing we want to do is get someone's employment terminated due to sharing too much.  Wink

Win

RE: Suggestion - Curated Leaks - UtahCoasterEnth - 06-07-2017

(06-07-2017, 07:25 AM)gregwibert Wrote: The last thing we want to do is get someone's employment terminated due to sharing too much.  Wink

Win :Win

I don't want parks to release their plans its more fun speculating. That is why I am making Lagoon in No Limits. To have fun speculating what could be done.

I personally like the way Cedar Point is handling RMC Mean Streak. I think its clever and creative. Especially how in interviews standing in front of the ride they will deny anything is happening to it.

I think Lagoon could learn from them on how to handle large projects that can be seen happening from the park (when open for the season that is, nobody should trespass) and the outside roads. I thought their handling of Cannibal, once it was public knowledge, was a bit ridiculous and childish.

But I don't think leaks should ever happen. I think leaking info would make someone immoral.

RE: Suggestion - Curated Leaks - jetstar2 - 06-07-2017

I can't even directly explain my point without revealing something 'secret'. I wonder if people understand what I'm talking about in my third and fourth bullet points. Trying to speculate about things with people who already know the things but are sworn to secrecy about them and therefore won't say anything is not fun at all. It's pointless and frustrating.

I understand that nobody wants anybody to get fired. Taking somebody who is leaking info publicly by their own choice and stopping them by basically saying 'just tell us and nobody else needs to find out' isn't really looking out for them, it's selfish. You can deny this happens here, but I've personally seen it and even participated in it. I fully acknowledge that it was selfish of me to do so.

The forums sure are dead lately considering there's a highly anticipated 'new' ride opening any time now.

(06-06-2017, 06:01 PM)linearinduction Wrote: There may be some things that moderators know about that we sit on, because sources have asked us to, and we have to respect that.

Why do you need to know the things that you're sitting on at all? Perhaps immoral is the wrong word, but I think it is unethical to pass yourself off as a fan site and then get the info that you know that the fans want only for yourself by agreeing not to give it to fans.